First time on a rower | FerrariChat

First time on a rower

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chupacabra, Jul 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm a runner and lifter, pretty much exclusively. I always kind of looked at everything else as being second rate compared to either, and unless I was out rowing my 12' john boat around, I didn't see much point to getting on a rower. Even after long actual rows, I'll still run.

Today, I ripped a toenail and a good amount of my pinky toe off (by accident, of course). Blood everywhere...nasty! Obviously - not good for running, and today was a run day. Not wanting to miss a workout, I figured I would warm up to something else and just go extra hard at it and see what happened. So, I went for the rower as I will not be caught dead on a stair climber or elliptical. Turned the resistance all the way up as it felt a bit light.

All I can say is, "damn!" That was a great workout! I'm really pleasantly surprised, and honestly, I've been hoping to add the same kind of diversity to my cardio as I have introduced to my lifting over the years. I may never quite get that same level of stimulation, but just one more option has me pretty excited. I can feel a lot of work in my abs, back and legs already. Something they weren't used to doing!

Any other converts out there or just folks who use a rower with some workouts or goals to share?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Bought my concept rower a couple years ago, solid as a rock. Only thing that drives me nuts is on long rows (5k or more) is the idle time to try to stay focus. Goal of mine has been sub 7 2k, have been close 7:05ish but have yet to break the 7 min mark

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I tend to use them when injured. I had a broken leg and ankle a couple of years ago, but I had a boot. I think I'd go nuts trying to do a long and slow workout on them, but for a 10-20 minutes sprint type of thing I enjoy them on occasion.

4. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    They’re great for intervals and fitting into a workout and rowing is a lower impact workout on your lower body.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Been rowing for years on a C2. I completely went for it a few years back and lost 85#, and 8" off my waist. To maintain, I've tapered it down from 50K/week to about 20K and I'm still rollin in my 36's :)

My 10K times are between 41:50 and 44:00 depending on the day.

Chupacabra likes this.
  6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Watching sports really helps me (~30 seconds between pitches and the 2:30 of commercials between innings makes the time go by pretty quick).

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I love this idea.

8. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I've been coaching a crew team the past few years and rowing is one of the best workouts you can do overall. It's a pretty cool sport too, with rich history, innovative technology, and tons of carbon fiber. A couple suggestions:
    • Stick with it :) I was running ultras for a few years and rowing at the right speed or distance more than gives me a run for my money
    • Set the fan to ~3 or 4, don't worry it'll feel difficult before long
    • Review some videos on form, you should largely be using your legs (push with legs, lean back then pull in arms at the end). The rowing stroke if done right is an elegant thing, ultimately looks natural, and you can put a lot of power down with simple movements. That'll give you a great but efficient workout, plus help prevent injury.
    Have fun!

Chupacabra likes this.
  9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks for the tips/stories all!

I’ll probably end up investing in a good rower because going to the gym for cardio is kind of a drag to me. LOVE lifting, hate driving 15 minutes each way to move in the same place for 30-60 min. :) Every second of every day is precious real estate in my world, as it is for most motivated folks here! I’m thankful for the option when I wreck myself, of course!

Looking forward to getting the real boat back in the water once it cools off a touch. Aluminum boat plus direct sun in 97 degrees and tropical humidity is just yucky. Adding the wife to that old sled is a nice way to get the heart rate up and see some nice scenery and wildlife.

rampante550 likes this.
  10. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Not sure what machine you are on (I'm biased but feel the Concept is really the only proper erg - rower), but the "resistance" really shouldn't be set at the highest setting - an oar doesn't really "push back" much when lightly pulled - it's when you crank on it when already moving briskly that you should really be feeling it.

Sitting on a sliding piece of wood going down a river backwards is a great workout - burns everything :)

You might want to look at one of these: http://rowalden.com/product/alden-whitehall-16/

You're wife can ride along and serve as your cowswain :D

Oh...ellipticals aren't all that bad......:confused:

rampante550 likes this.
  11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Embarrassed by the stair climber? Lol