Jeep Gladiator | FerrariChat

Jeep Gladiator

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sigar, Nov 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
  2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love the style. It sure about the name. Though I do have a real Gladiator in the driveway lol
    I think it needs a V8 or at least a more powerful optional six. Otherwise it’s pretty awesome

rdefabri likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Theres a diesel 6 coming with 445 ftlbs, but yeah a v8 would be great.
    I like the 7500 odd lbs tow rating. Somehting to replace the tundra that more useable daily, charismatic, and can still tow the race car.
    Plus its machine you actualy still drive, no lane keeping assist, and you dont need a I phone to start it.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm surprised it took this long considering this has been an option in the aftermarket world for quite some time. Too bad Jeep did not make the bed transition from the cab as nice as the aftermarket companies. It looks weird and doesn't flow...too "designed after the fact."

It should have been a transition like this where the front part of bed has a diagonal design parallel to the lower portion of the rear door and not just a fender overlay trying to make it look that way. https://inventory.starwoodmotors.com/vehicles/373/2016-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I like that it’s blocky looking - it looks “tough”. Reminds me of an old school military vehicle ala Hummer or Pinzgauer.

Jeep quality scares me though. I also think pricing should be lower than comparable trucks from other manufacturers.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  7. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Wade likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Looks great! Not really retro. It just looks like a Jeep should look. Kinda honest.

About the name.....

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I love it, and if it came with a hemi then it would be a no brainer.

My daily is a chevy equinox and then I have a Tundra for various towing duties, but its otherwise just to big to live with and a PTA to drive when not towing.
    Can the Gladiator which is a cool machine in its own right do the job of two bland vehicles for me. Will the bed fit 1 set of race car wheels and tires, plus 4 gas cans, how does it tow? which is a different spec to how much is it rated to tow. Will the brake rotors warp when slowing from speed with a trailer, its a question as the brakes are still only wrangler bits.

Interesting vehicle.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Jeep says a 7650 lb tow rating. I like the long wheelbase, makes for a stable platform.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed on the LWB, I wonder about the brakes though, they dont seem upgraded significantly over a wrangler, and a trailer brake controller would be nice.

Do we know what it weights yet.

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks like stock wrangler axles and brakes. Possibly only the D44 in the back. Would want trailer brakes. I would also want a hardtop. Though I prefer a wrangler with a soft top. And no doors.

13. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Trailer brake controller is an option. I just saw it this morning when building one on Jeep's site this morning.

14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Really digging the new Gladiator! I bought a new Wrangler a few years ago and wouldn't mind another but the lack of side protection has me a bit concerned.

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Put rock rails on it (serious ones--mine bolt into holes I had to drill and tap into the frame--IIRC there are 9 attachment points per side, and there is a video showing a forklift lifting a Wrangler by these rails).

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That's better than nothing but if an SUV or truck hits you, doesn't really help as much as side impact beams. That was my main concern, especially after almost being t-boned by an SUV.

17. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Safety is what makes me wonder how long the Wrangler can continue. I don’t have any interest if I can’t take the doors off. And I’m sure eventually it’ll have to go away.

18. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I bought this conversation last year. Put an L86 and 8 speed transmission in it because Chrysler sucks. It still steers and rides like its 40 years old, even after $thousands in aftermarket parts. The weird thing is the attention this thing gets. I have really cool cars and people ask about this way more than any of them. Only way I would buy a gladiator is if they were $20k. You get the worst of each world. Not a good off road vehicle, and a terrible choice for a truck. Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    #19 sigar, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    [QUOTE="Rickenbach, post: 146443703, member: 26794"It still steers and rides like its 40 years old, even after $thousands in aftermarket parts. The weird thing is the attention this thing gets. I have really cool cars and people ask about this way more than any of them. Only way I would buy a gladiator is if they were $20k. You get the worst of each world. Not a good off road vehicle, and a terrible choice for a truck. View attachment 2664423 [/QUOTE]

For me it’s replacing a 40 year old Cheyenne and a 35 year old full size Jimmy in Tahoe, so sounds like something I’d like. Basically Can’t wait to smack it against some rocks on the Rubicon in the summer and throw the snowboard in the terrible truck bed in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    Love the features though space wise, it is a no go for me.

21. aron.l.bates

aron.l.bates Rookie

May 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    aron.l.bates
    For me Jeep Wrangler is the Best Summer Car!

This is the best Jeep Wrangler in the category when it comes to finances. The majority of buyers are buying them as personal cars for themselves, or for family and friends. Of course, a couple of Dodge SUVs have been around for many years and offer drivers a good value, but the Jeep Wrangler is the best choice for home ownership. This is why this Jeep Wrangler offers great safety features that provide a great overall ride.
    The thing I love most is tuning my jeep like this https://jeepequipment.com/
    In addition, many drivers consider Jeep Wranglers as family entertainers or recreation vehicles, and this rugged body style allows them to do so.

22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Actually thinking a little about the Gladiator. I have a twice modified 2015 Wrangler Rubicon, which I have pushed to the limit but the tow rating sucks. The Gladiator improves significantly on that. As I get older, and don't necessarily need to do the hardest trial I can drive to, but I would like to be able to tow a trailer to and from Moab, for example. Yet it still retains significant offload ability.