Classic tyres - which nowadays | FerrariChat

Classic tyres - which nowadays

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Portofino, Nov 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Hi I,am looking for some replacements for my Dino GT4 208- EU Italian spec
    185/70/14
    Starting to get a few age cracks early naughties ,not worn .
    Has anyone tried these .?
    Or which “ modern “ brand are people running ?
    I mean do modern like say a Continental contact sport make a difference in terms of side wall strength or other issues ,
    Like most classic cars they don,t do enough mileage to wear out the dry and harden and crack before going bald .
    All answers appreciated.

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.him

nart likes this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Go to tire rack
    click on tires
    click on "tire ratings charts & reviews"
    click on "extreme performance summer" or "max performance summer"
    Pick any of the top 4 tires in either section

You can't go wrong.

3. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Ahh but you can...……………….as there are no performance tires in that size on Tire Rack.

4. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Here’s the tread pattern that Brockley use based on the typical 70,s style at the time .Which I think was the Michelin XWX ? OEM .

Brockley use a modern sticky compound with a stiffer sidewall using today’s tech .
    Spoke to the principal via email and phone and they seem pretty genuine.
    But as said what tyres are other GT4 owners running ?

A 40 years old the car has already made transition into classic car status as opposed to a dedicated performance track machine or 0 to 60 worshiper. Its track times are irrelevant.Its now all about provenance and originally .
    Looking right from the kerb , when I take it to classic car rally’s etc .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

nart and brian.s like this.
  5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've used Vredenstein to good effect on old Alfas and such

6. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    what's wrong with XWX's?

7. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    #7 Portofino, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Nothing wrong with XWX..
    A set of 4 is over £1000 compared to the Brockleys @ £400 .
    If you read around the Brockley site I linked ^^^^ the principle is an avid classic car racer ( Bugatti type 35 in Monaco classsic GP etc ) He’d started to get into tyre production because of the poor take it for granted attitude from the bog boys .
    Indeed Dunlop went all legal when one of his tyres ( admittedly copied tread pattern ) pulled out 11 secs a lap in a race meet and instantly killed there sales .
    Imagine a F1 team pulling 11secs a lap , the protest etc from the loosers would be incredible news .

So it’s the compound that’s different and the maybe the side wall stiffness to effect the grip .

Of course I could get any modern brand like say Uniroyal rain sports , but the tread pattern ( even though the grip is fine ) looks so wrong on a classic .

So I,am not sure if the XWX s are up to date compound wise .Apologies if they are up to date ,it’s not clear ?

The reason why they are so expensive,cost more than my Pirelli P Zeros on my 200 mph Bentley btw is the limited production runs and the logistical storage surrounding that and the mark up from the “ classic tyre “ dealers .
    The dealers know they have you by the short n curlys as there seems no competition for VR rated 70 ,s tyres .
    Ferrari , Maserati, Aston’s , E type Jags were all capable of exceeding 150 mph - err in a straight line back then .
    The XWX was developed for this ,but then a reasonable proportionate cost .

If my Bentley Y rated 275 , 40 profile tyres are £x then the tiny Dino skinny 185 ,s balloon 70 profile should be a fraction less not more - that’s my thinking, as well as the compound side of the argument.

Those Vredenstein sports look right too btw period 70 ,s tread pattern -just about get away with that .
    About £65 so cheaper than the Brockley .
    It’s not about the race to the bottom it’s about value for money too .

MotoX and nart like this.