Anybody knows these awesome 328 wheels? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anybody knows these awesome 328 wheels?

Discussion in '308/328' started by StartedFromTheBottom, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    Carlo, if you ever get to Melbourne, just sent me a private message on this forum and we’ll certainly catch up with some other Melbourne based forum members.
    TBH, the prices people want Compomorives, you would be silly not to buy brand new forged wheels from Image wheels for less money. If used Compomotives were cheaper, fair enough. But apparently people spend $4k on a used set.
    On top of that, they ACTULLY manufacture a bespoke set of wheels to YOUR requirements. 8-10 weeks is the delivery time as they manufacture upon your order.
    I got a set of OZ Futura style wheels for Aston Martin from them recently.
    You can get a single step or double step rim. You can get deep dish or flush wheels (all within the constraints of your offset and brake caliper size), You actually have a big say in how the wheels look.
    In addition, I have heard from a few Australian members on this forum that the quality of the compomotives are mediocre. Apparently the rims are prone to buckling if the roads have potholes, something that can be common on Australian roads. I’m not
    sure what the roads are like in your neck of woods but Australian roads are very variable in quality.
    Good luck in your search and I hope you find the wheels you are after.
    Cheers
    Rennie
    P.S
    Apologies if Compomotive wheel owners are offended. Happy to be proven wrong.

r

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Correction: I should have said the Speedlines don't look right on later cars.

The wheels from Image look great, too, and are a bargain.

3. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Yep its 90% sure that i‘ll go for the Image ones in nearer future...
    does anybody by chance have measured all the necessary suspension data of a 88.5 or 89 328 already :D?
    That would be a jackpot... otherwise I’ll probably need to dig into that next summer... now the baby sleeps

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I like the wheel pattern - but would look best with all silver inset - vs the yellow prancing moose / Horse. the 288GTO has all silver knock off with prancing horse on it... that would be the way to go.

HotShoe likes this.
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    moysiuan likes this.
  6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    For the record Compomotive built the centers, they got the barrels from an outside source. Like all three piece rims, the barreles don’t like potholes. Luckily you can just replace the damaged barrel easily. The Compomotive center section is rock solid.

I’ve thought about machining the same exact center on my mill but I need to find out the legalities first. Even then he legalities probably aren’t worth it.

I haven’t done a search on Image wheels but when I did a few years ago I found very mixed reviews so proceed with caution.

StartedFromTheBottom likes this.
  8. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    The are very nice where are the from? I would like to get a set for my 88 GTS.no ABS.Can you send me all the info please.

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
  10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Those ones on my care are the Compomotives TS-17 from UK.
    17x8 Front and 17x9 Rear, and the offset is about 11mm. These
    Wheels are getting rare and harder to find now but with patience,
    eventually, you will find someone that sells them or you can just buy
    that looks similar like the one I posted above which are available today.

11. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    They indeed look nice but the longer i look at the picture the more I’m sure I’ll go for 16”.
    Those are just a bit too big for this beauty...
    in hard words: these wheel try to make a monster out of a car which in it’s soul isn’t a beast... there are cars where the bigger is the better e.g. 430... but with this car I’ll probably take one step back and just enjoy the unbelievable shape of theses wheels (whether they’re going to be image or compomotive doesn’t matter too much in the end) with 16” wheel.
    Anybody on my track?
    Love all your statements and comments on that topic!!! Since i guess for the 328 there aren’t that much (beautiful) options for the wheels out than for later or todays cars...

miketuason likes this.
  12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I’m a part time cowboy and didn’t know about the patch. Learned sumpting new everday.

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Err, … I just drove through west Texas on Sunday. It looked to me real cowboys wore pretty much anything that fit (and probably was on sale). One feller jingled into the men's restroom at a truck stop wearing spurs. However, I base my cultural observations on the narrow window afforded by pee breaks.

Crowndog likes this.
  14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Absolutely agreed.

It's all about proportion. 16" is the perfect visual size for the 3x8, compared to the body lines, wheelwell-to-body sizing, etc. 17+ makes the car start looking too... i dunno... ricer, or muscle car.

StartedFromTheBottom likes this.
  15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven

Attached Files:

moysiuan likes this.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I wear Levis 517s....and I remove the patch too!

My brother is a cowboy and rancher.
    I have prancing horses...