whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

whats the next ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Didn't realize supercars were excluded. I thought the focus was on the next five years. That said, it's still too early for the '90s and 2000 cars.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I dont agree. The market is generational. The 70's 80's gen drove the last market. Prices skyrocketed as we all know. The next to hit will be the 90's cars. 348, 355, 456, 550, 575, possible 360 series. This won't hit for another few years however. 360 is almost 20 years old. 348 almost 30

anunakki likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Any mid-V8 with a stick should appreciate - not saying they will, but they should - especially the 360 and 430 manuals because they're actually modern cars with airbags, power steering, and traction control.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    No so sure about this TBH. You have "car guys" in every generation. They're the hard core 1%ers of the car world. They actually LIKE the old English crap of the 60's because there is ALWAYS something wrong and sometimes the car won't even start. They like this. Until they're 60, and then they get tired and buy a Lexus or lease an E-class Mercedes. They'll be the ones buying old car technology and enjoying it. The 348, 355 engine outs... they do them in the garage WHILE rebuilding the carb in the MG. They'll buy any of the above and appreciate it. They question is does it appeal and will they have the money.

The next 10% of car guys like cool cars and always wanted a Ferrari and have the money (the professionals and business owners) but don't have the time or expertise. I'm not sure a maintenance intensive aspect of the 80's cars will be as "appealing" as cars get more reliable when they age, unobtanium, and limited time means you buy it but it's in the shop for 6 months of the year. Not sure about the 550, 575 and 456.. since Magnum most people I know associate Ferrari with a sports car and not a GT.

You know the types better than we do as you see them every day...

09Scuderia and Texas Forever like this.
  6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    #56 sixcarbs, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Yes, the 288's and F40's were/are Supercars. They were built to be the best performance car of their day. There were supposed to be 200 288's to qualify it for some racing class that ended up being cancelled. They ended up building 272. The F40 was the V-8 turbo taken to a hyper extreme. They built 1300+.

As much as I like the F50 and Enzo something changed after the F40. Instead of just setting out to build the best performance car in the world they were also determined to make them collectable. They intentionally limited their production, for really no reason when you think about it. I don't think they gave more than an hour's thought to comfort and convenience up through the Enzo. However, I think they did consider it for the LaFerrari. Just my two cents and why the first four will always stand out above those that came after them.

I have been staying out of this thread since I think everything is going down. But what do I know? Have fun with whatever you buy!!!

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Without a doubt the F40. Just wish every time I think I can reach and get one they would quit going up another 400K!!!

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    OP asked about undervalued and likely to appreciate.
    I am certain that someday (5-10 years) the16M, with only 499 made, will be much higher than it is today.
    It is LE, 510 HP screaming through a pre-euro-nanny exhaust that is crazy loud. Raw and CF dripping throughout interior. Old school gauges and old school canvas top, yet very reliable 4.3L V8 with chain instead of belt. The Superfast-2 F1, same as 599GTO IIRC, is an absolute delight to use.
    Great car.
    I actually hope it doesn't go up too much because I love driving mine and I don't want to fall into that crazy mind-game trap of too valuable to put miles on it....

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    no votes for the 599gtb?

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    1989-1992 348tb.

I agree. I think as normal everyday cars become increasingly digital, people will turn to the last of the truly analogue sportscars for the special experiences they offer.

This gives me great anxiety, since I haven't actually purchased a 348 yet. I really don't want them to appreciate, but I fear they will.

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Seems to be no shortage of folks incurring bills that are huge plus-relative to the price. Love the look though.

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I think everything will be going down with a bad economy 12-24 months away and people dumping cars for cash.

I hope not but looks like its headed that way.

paulchua, jjtjr, xplodee and 2 others like this.
  13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    What's the next Ferrari to appreciate significantly over the next 5 years?... The one I want to buy :(

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I like that call...how many miles on yours?
    I have 18,500 on mine and counting...I’m going to drive it and drive it!

Sent from my 16M

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ~9500 miles.
    So much fun to drive...I think it is a hybrid...’cause it is electrifying. :)

plastique999 and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Ok very interesting discussion, I still stand by my earlier post. Euro spec. 308 GT4’s. They click off all the boxes. But hey what do I know. Whatever just drive em!

17. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This

xplodee likes this.
  18. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    ChipG, please no offense but you sound like you are younger than 50. Us older folks have seen it all before. Bottom line if you can’t afford to lose 25 to 50 percent of the value then you shouldn’t be buying a Ferrari or any other collector car. Never borrow money for these cars. Take the risk if you are able and enjoy them. Good luck to all.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    CS
    348 Serie Speciale
    F40

20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Thanks for you very valuable info!

21. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Not sure it'll have the most appreciation (as a percent of current value) of any Ferrari, but I do think the 355 GTS 6 Speed manual is a good candidate for appreciation over the next 5-10 years. Try to find one to purchase. They are unobtainum through the usual channels in the US (Autotrader, Dupont, ebay motors, etc.). At the end of the day, this is a question of supply and demand and there simply is zero supply in the US.

22. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Mine! (kidding). It may be more than 5 yrs but if you could I'd grab a 458 Speciale. The 488 is an incredible car but the departure from NA engines in the line is permanent and that 458 sp was the hottest product (white hot) before the jump.

Look at how nuts folks are about stick cars-me included

Texas Forever, ross and plastique999 like this.
  23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My dad bought a Aston Martin DB7. He always wanted one. It's a Volante with 3-pedals. Now he never drives it and it sits in the garage and has a layer of dust on it. But, if he feels like trying to impress someone he pops out "I have an Aston Martin!" I roll my eyes if I hear it and bite my tongue, but the other person invariably has a look like they have no clue what an Aston Martin is, because 95% of the time they have no clue what an Aston Martin is. That's why IMHO Aston's are lead anchors for depreciation and the worst "Exotic" on the market. They're pretty and extremely expensive to fix if its not a Ford part, but the only people that know what the car is also know that you can buy one for less than Honda.

Ferrari has the cache that those who "have always wanted a Ferrari" because it's a status symbol.. want to buy one because it's a Ferrari.

Ferrari also has the mythos that people who know cars have always wanted to check it off Ferrari ownership on their bucket list.

Different buyers in the Future with different understandings. Both drive the market for appreciation, but do they drive different markets for appreciation? Does the car guy drive the older models while the status/cache buyer drive newer model appreciation or the model that they grew up with on the wall? I would think personally the higher prices are paid by first entrants into the market personally...

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thank god for those first time buyers, and other good hearted souls that pay new prices !!!!

i have never bought a new car. ever. i would feel idiotic doing so.
    even at those moments when i had the disposable income earmarked for cars, i was not looking to buy the latest hot model, but instead looking for the model that would not depreciate any more and likely appreciate some time in my life.
    but, if it were not for the first time buyers willing to throw $ away in order to live the dream, i would not be able to buy what i wanted further down the depreciation curve. so i am grateful to them.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Funny if this thread were titled “car to most depreciate,” Aston Martin would definitely take the cake. I have owned three Aston’s and have gotten burned in my wallet from all three. However I do believe they are the most elegantly designed cars ever to be made.

Sent from my 16M

JG333SP, vrsurgeon and Texas Forever like this.