Tires? | FerrariChat

Tires?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2cam, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Using the search function, it looks like it's been awhile since there was a "tires" discussion in the Mondial forum. ;)

So, what are you guys using for tires (or tyres if you prefer...) these days? The Yoko S.Drives on my Mondial are a bit worn and in need of replacement. Michelins are the go-to of course, but more than anything, I'm curious if you guys are using a Summer ultra performance tire/tyre or an all season ultra performance. I have Continental Extreme Contract DWSs on my Carrera now. They're decent, but I'm not in love with them. I would just opt for a Summer Ultra, but there are days around freezing (nice weather, but cold) that I really enjoy getting my car out for a drive. I'm not sure if a Summer Ultra would be best for that.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I just put the Pirelli P7 on my recently acquired 88 3.2 coupe.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car-light-truck/find-your-tires/product-sheet/cinturato-p7

I'm not a huge fan of Pirelli tires, but they're Italian. And they look good on the cars from the 70s and 80s, even though they have nothing to do with the original P7 from that period other than having the same name.

One word of warning: don't put some ultra-performance modern rubber on one of these cars. I made the mistake of putting the Bridgestone RE-11 on my 89 328 GTB a few years ago, and while the tires are amazing, they sort of ruined the feel of the car. Modern high performance tires are "too good" for the chassis of these 70s/80s Ferraris. You can't slide the car around at all; way too much grip. Sort of takes the fun out of the cars.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    paulchua likes this.
  4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am partial to Michelins. They are usually a bit pricey, but they are always very round and ride well.

I would select the A/S 3+ all season tire if I was replacing the Mondial tires (assuming they are made in the proper sizes). I put the older A/S (no 3+) on my Mini Cab because it is a slightly softer ride, although less ultimate grip. Since ultimate grip is not an issue, it works for that car. You might prefer the A/S if you are running a Cab. Personal preference.

My other performance car got the new Mich P4S. Not driven in anger in the rain, and no issues of freezing or snow here! :) Short of tracking the car, that is all the street tire needed for any thing with "reasonable" amounts of power! ;)

Regards,
    Jerry

ronfrohock and paulchua like this.
  5. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Wise words from Mr Brandon I suspect. So much joy to be had from a tire that allows a progressive loss of traction and a reasonable amount of (over) steering by throttle. There is great balance and feeling in these cars through the steering wheel and seat of pants that would be wasted by very sticky rubber. Mr Brandon, do you have advice when shopping around i.e. other tires apart from the P7? go for a 3 season? a particular compound, or rating?

paulchua likes this.
  6. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    FWIW, I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. Even taken the T girl on the track a few times with these and they hold up and perform very well.

paulchua likes this.
  7. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I currently have those Conti's on mine, which is what it had when I bought the car. These are summer tires. I think they're ok, but I don't push them to the limit. I'd be ok with buying a new set, but I would definitely go for the All Seasons, due to the cold temps in the winter, where I live. As long as the roads are clear, and being mindful and careful until the car's temps come up, I will drive!

paulchua likes this.
  8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Great suggestions everyone! Thank you. Wade, that's a fantastic chart! Michael, I was tempted by the Pirellis as well for the same reasons.

I just realized that I called the Continentals Extreme "CONTRACTS". Work is busy right now. Maybe it's bleeding over into the subliminal for me. ;) Also, the Conti's that I have are actually the DWs and not the All Seasons. I've spent a bit of time on one of the Porsche forums this evening and will probably go with the Michelins as suggested here or with a set of the Conti AWSs. They both seem to get great reviews on the Porsche forum.

Thanks again!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My Abarth which funny enough came from Texas had Pirelli summer tires. Seemed fine in even below freezing temps here. So probably ok for Texas.
    Most of us will have tires that time out before wearing out. So I'd buy the most aggressive tire, but that's me. Only thing that stopped me from Toyo 888's is when hot they throw lots of rocks up since they are so sticky.

paulchua likes this.
  10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Pirelli P7 All Season Plus for me. Great ride quality, low noise, and grip in wet and dry, good linearity when they break away on a nice drift onto an on ramp. They also have a sidewall and tread pattern that looks good for these cars, kind of vintage like. Price is good too. Makes sense they were OEM on various Mercedes cars, and comes in the proper OEM sizes for the Mondial.

Mark C Harvey and paulchua like this.
  11. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I've gone through a couple sets of the Continental Contacts. No complaints. I understand they now have a sport version of that. About due for new tread and may go for the sports next.

paulchua likes this.
  12. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    It sounds like you don't have the TRX rims on your car. But for those that do hopefully this link will be helpful

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/mondial.html

they are in stock and it is generally free carriage.

paulchua likes this.
  13. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona

I love the look and feel of the tires that you chose. They have enough grip to push them and enough play to break them free when you want to. I've put about 5000 miles on them and they still respond well. Although by the end of the next driving season, I'll have to replace them.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Well done. I have to make a living you know.

I wonder what people consider a reasonable mileage for tyres on a Ferrari Mondial https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/mondial.html

Another thing to consider is these tyres will probably last longer than you think. The first millimeters of tyres wear quite a bit quicker than the last millimeters. As the tread blocks are taller they move more and scrub more and generate more heat, all of which increases wear.

Generally i think people consider the TRX tyres to be very durable, so i would be surprised if you found yourself getting considerably better mileage on a different tyre. We sell more TRX tyres to people replacing old rubber than people that have worn them bald. (which is a bit of a shame)

I have put some pictures of the technology at the bottom that demonstrate. one of the advantages of the TRX is the rim profile which means as the tyyre flexes under load it creates a less complicated flex in the side wall, which among other things diminishes the heat which improves (again among other things) durability.

I would beware of change for changes sake.

For instance buying a new set of wheels to get cheaper tyres is not necessarily good economics, If you think it is going to benefit because you think the TRX wears out quickly i think you will be disappointed. specially if it effects the drive of the car.

For track use, yep stick some taller wheels on and wider lower profile tyres, but for road use the TRX are perfect, and just the way Maranello designed it.

(TRX look cool)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade likes this.
  15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    They were also a significant improvement over the Continentals before them, both in ride and handling.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just speaking on the Ts - I had the Advan Neova (best grip, but very low tire life)
    I currently have Bridgestone Potenza, grip not as good - but they last longer!

Cheers

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I know this sounds weird. but it isn't all about grip. specially on older cars.

moysiuan and paulchua like this.
  18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have BF Goodrich Sport Comp2, used to have Yoko Advan Neova R8 (stop making them)

I've tracked them both as well.

I felt Yokos had more grip, but harder to feel when you will lose your tail

The BFs last much longer and announce their intention to lose traction.

Probably safer tire for my skill level.

Just my experiences, hope this helps!

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Not weird at all, all depends on how you drive

21. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I put Hankook Ventus on my car. 360 staggered rims. Front tires are half or better. I will soon be on my third set of rears. Gonna try uniroyal this time. I don't do firery burn outs but do drive spiritedly. I suppose the limited slip makes it almost like a straight axle and it is scrubbing the tires off

paulchua likes this.
  22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I ended up going with the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1s at a bit less than$100 per tire. They get good reviews, they're fairly quiet, they stick, and look good (the sidewalls look appropriate for the Mondial). I've had them on the car for less than 6 months, but am very happy with them so far.

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  23. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Will be scrubbing in this new set this weekend.
    BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 Ultra High Performance Summer Tire.
    My 30 year old Ferrari needs all the performance gain possible. Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  24. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    paulchua and davem like this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello Allen,

These are what I have on now as well. I think they perform reasonably well. They last relatively long too. I have two points of reference; the original that I had (those were plain garbage, I think I've repressed what they were from my memory because I no longer remember the brand)
    & the Advan Neova R8s had better grip - but seem to last 60% as long.

These are a good compromise.

Cheers

Allen S. likes this.