Montana registration crack-down | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Beat me to it.
    Same in CA.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’ve purchased cars in other states, but in every case have only paid sales tax to Pennsylvania. Dealers in adjacent states typically collect and pay the taxes to Pennsylvania, but on private deals you pay taxes based upon a realistic bill of sale.

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I find that to be incredibly sad. I couldn’t do that. At best, I would have to buy two of each (which I assume your friend could do given the size of his best of the best collection). Buy one museum piece, and an identical driver to enjoy. But even then, I would be conflicted about letting the museum piece sit and rot.

readplays likes this.
  4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    agreed. Besides, cars hate not being driven. The leak, break and go to crap. But, some cars are WAY more than cars. Like the cars in my friends collection. They are works of art.

5. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    how does that work when he ever sell them? even if he doesn't, his heir would sell them. He needs the title, which requires registration and paying taxes.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And, one way or the other, there's always a time to sell.

7. Daddy

Daddy Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    If its risky to have a Montana car registered in aggressive states (VA, GA, etc).. What would happen if borrow and keep a car from an individual who happens to live full time in another state? Can the state do anything regarding that? Surely they won't try to collect taxes or harass me in that situation?

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Don't assume any such thing.

375+ likes this.
  9. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    As I understand it, the registration rules apply to the car not the owner. Regardless of who operates it, if the car is in Georgia for over 30 days, it is subject to the registration requirements.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The same applies in Massachusetts. Daddy, did you really think the lawmakers and tax collectors are that dumb?

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you go on vacation for a few months and have no intention of residing in a state full time, then you will have absolutely NO Problem driving the car. I.e. if a cop pulls you over and you pop out your Montana Drivers license and an insurance card with your Montana home address, you're going to get a citation and drive away no problem.

If you go around driving a car with Montana license plates and you pop out a Drivers license with a Georgia or New York license with a completely different address.. it looks fishy because it IS fishy. If dumb enough to have pics on Instagram of the car IN a state NOT Montana for over a year.. that's photo evidence with the DL of not registering a car for 30 days.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny you mention it, when I drove a car back from Canada, US Customs made me log in to F Chat so they could see posts and read messages to verify the sales price of the car. Having dealt with the Franchise Tax Board in CA about cars, I'm sure they have no problem lookling online at public postings or asking you to (voluntarily) provide additional information by logging in to a forum.

Texas Forever and vrsurgeon like this.
  13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think I just bought his 599 GTO. Well one of them.

14. Reacherman1022

Reacherman1022 Karting

Dec 13, 2016
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Jack Reacher
    Guys, if you could, ideally, which state would you register your car?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Whichever state I live in. If I can't afford to pay the sales tax, the registration fees or the personal property/excise tax, then either I won't buy the car or I'll move to another state where I can, but I won't commit fraud.

I have to live with myself for the rest of my life. ;)

16. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    And that, is the correct answer.

Jakuzzi, Texas Forever and Nospinzone like this.
  17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Except, it's not fraud. It's legally-registered in State 1. So, State 2 has no basis to tax it. Regardless of how long it may "reside" in State 2. At least as far as State 1 is concerned. State 2 says it does. However, State 2 isn't exactly un-biased, is it? It has its' own interests in mind, not State 1's. So, the question is whether State 2 can enact legislation that somehow supersedes State 1's. I still see this as something SCOTUS needs to resolve. I doubt, however, it would grant certiorari.

CW

09Scuderia likes this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You can be right and die wrong. In Texas, sales tax fraud on cars is a criminal misdemeanor. If you're a licensed professional, do you really want to take that heat?

Jakuzzi and Jean-Pierre Marchand like this.
  19. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    State 1 assumes you are actually a resident of said state, no? If not, you're scamming.

Jakuzzi and Nospinzone like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And what if a LLC is owner and resident of State 1?

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't have any problem making decisions like this. Just do the right thing. Don't be a schemer, don't be a scammer.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Correct, it is legally registered in State 1, and as long as it is garaged in State 1 there is no problem. The problem arises when it is garaged and driven in State 2 and not State 1. So under your scenario the proper thing to do is to register it in both states and pay all taxes due in both State 1 and State 2. I'm sure you would be fine with that, no?

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's fine, the problem we're discussing is when the owner lives and garages the car in State 2.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    No he doesn't he can hold the little in the original owners name with a reassignment executed to him on the back of the title o_O
    Only need a new title for a new tag So if Not driving you can hold the old owners title forever.Plus No when ever be able to find
    out what he exactly owns It will remain a secret to him only

carnutdallas and 09Scuderia like this.
  25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    There wouldn’t be crackdowns on this if it wasn’t on the edge of the law. But there are. And it is. So, I say go for it, if you can live with the consequences if and when you’re pulled over and have to explain. It’s not worth driving around looking over your shoulder, or getting a visit from the NYPD (or whomever follows up these infractions).