24H at COTA (w/ SCG) | FerrariChat

24H at COTA (w/ SCG)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BigTex, Nov 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    HI EVERYBODY!!!!

BOY DID I HAVE FUN LAST WEEKEND!
    WANNA KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!?????????

:D :D :D

*Bam*

Get the he11 outta here!!

Ahem, sorry guys, that was my evil twin, grabbed the keyboard, when I stepped away for a beer.

Some of you Old Timers know him:
    "Pimp Daddy Speedy308", he's been walkabout in Africa, digging gold or diamonds or something.

So, if I may, I have just ended four full days of racing Prototype Lemans cars, against the finest the world has to offer!
    Audi
    BMW
    Aston Martin
    Mercedes Benz....
    VW
    Some cars even had FIVE lug nuts, I felt very sorry for them, by the end.

So, in order to attempt to explain what BIG TEX only, thinks about the man he calls "Mr. G", gather around, and get some refreshments>
    We will go on a Four Day weekend of racing, full on, no holds barred, by the Rule Book, in a little land known only as:

24H Series, by HANKOOK, as held at COTA, in Elroy Texas.
    Not far from a freaky place, we like to call Austin

Of course most of you know my long running sponsor relationship, with Goodyear.
    Enzo ran Goodyears, when it suited him.....anyway, my departure from Houston was delayed Wednesday by the need for new rubber on the Cadillac.
    So, finally, in the footsteps of Mr. Briggs Cunningham, we fired up a Caddy, and went off, in search of Lemans!!!!
    They had picked some sweet ones, and the Texas miles rolled on by.....

We rolled into COTA about 10:00PM, loaded with Texas BBQ.
    Knowing the place pretty well, we entered Tunnel 2, and a short time later pulled into the Paddock.
    Never challenged by Security, in fact we never SAW Security....it was like those old B&W Western movies, where the hero walks into a ghost town, with the vague feeling that eyes are watching, from 'somewhere".......

Maybe by the end of my tale, you might have some insight.......but then, maybe not!!!

I hope the Mods will let this roll, as I think I see what is inside of a man, and this guy is top notch.
    Bear hugs, smile, good handshake, ..... "Glad you are here", stuff like that......
    But even I don't bother him, once he puts that headset on......he is listening, watching, planning.......he sees all.

The first step, is to get this Paddock Door unlocked.
    I give it a sharp knock, and it swings open , every light burning......

wax and of2worlds like this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Ya but does he get the girl? :D

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jim's facilities are only now under design, so I'm not sure WHAT you are talking about????
    I spoke with the architect last Tuesday.....and she answers her own phone.....

Like Mr. G., if you have the right number.....

of2worlds likes this.
  4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    French girls, that spoke no English...

Smoking female Blues guitarists, that did.

Some girls you had to capture, then out run their girlfriend to keep.

A sweet girl, on the Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus team, who looked on as I taught mine, how to LogIn here....
    WHAT could go WRONG?????

There were female guests of course, just not enough of them, IMO.

Oh a Nursing Squad, and the Catering Director, a blond named Rose.....

of2worlds likes this.
  5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    of2worlds likes this.
  7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *door opens*

"Hello, come on in.."

And these Italians did not know me, from the Fuller Brush salesman!!
    I faded against the wall....and wandered around without bothering anyone......an acquired skill!!!

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Clean shiny cars, like the feeling you have after you brush your teeth in the morning!!

Note everything you see here, there's HUGE attention to detail.
    Signage on the wiper relating to race prep, blue tape on the Hewland gearbox "NO OIL".......

I took all the rest of these pictures tonight, before finally the Italian Crew Leader of the "blue coats", Jim's PRO Class team, spoke up, in English:

"Hey, each picture is $10!!"

Laughing I stuck out my hand, and introduced myself, as an old friend of the family.

"Well, then start up the count, and it will be a HUGE bill by Sunday!!"
    We will settle up, over sinner and drinks downtown!!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2610670

Attached Files:

of2worlds and NürScud like this.
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh, before going any further, I wanted to thank Mr G., (who finally arrives in the plot, he was actually out on Baja Mexico, tending to the 2019 100 Baja Run, that will be another thread..)

What I experienced this weekend, upon his invitation, was to "join the adventure", if only for a few days.

I saw the teamwork of many, many men (and one woman).
    I was welcomed as I described here and in the rest of the thread, without question or judgement (well, publically, anyway!!)
    When I lost my Safety Vest I had brought, they issued me a new one.

At ANY time of the event, even Hot Track, if I waited for the "right time and right place" to ask, a patient and complete technical answer was openly shared.
    I later watched The Man himself do this, to both important invited guests, and also (more importantly in my eyes) To the random public, MEDIA, or anyone else that happened to catch him out from under the headphones.

To keep up with the breaking action , next year, I will have to learn Italian, as most of the crew lapses into that, when excited!!!

And also a little French......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So, to clarify:

White Car, Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus, all PRO drivers.....#49, after they het the graphics on.
    Yellow Car, owned by LightSpeed, Mr. Ruud, of Ruud Lighting fame, and early LED adaptor......all AM drivers, mostly Americans.

Two complete teams, about 10 crewman, plus Four Drivers, and also (my favorite) the constantly hard working Tire Guy, who, ironically, had the lone female assistant, which I only can assume was also his wife or gf.....who else would put up with all this??? LOL!

They ended up burning thru the tires like they were paper towels, but more on that later!!

(With apologies to WILLIAMH!!!! LOL!)
    Dr. Alan Ruud, was also a pioneer in the distribution chain, I recall "way back when" in the trade, any electrical contractor in America could pick up the phone and order Ruud lighting fixtures, without warehousing, distributor mark up, and handling.

So, a leader in what is now called "just in time delivery" by the major assemblers of, well....almost aything!!

I am looking for my picture of the steering wheel, it has, basically ALL the car control Tech of Formula 1......
    It's hanging on the mirror in this photo, but I have a better shot of it....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch that work table, over time...:D

It tells the tale....

These two teams were sharing a common garage.
    That was the typical set up in all the Paddock Garages, but in most cases, it was two, unrelated teams, just sharing the "PIt", if you will..
    Any questions feel free to chime in!!

Leaving to head to town, the Crew Chief said "Wait"....and went to digging around in a satchel..
    So, the first of many gifts, traded back and forth, among SCG and myself, but also I watched the "all for one" spirit of true Sportsmanship among all the teams.
    By the end of the weekend, they handed tools to the garage next door, as they hurriedly rebuilt a front suspension and replaced a damaged shock absorber.

Sportsmanship.
    Got it......

"Hmmmmm, I think, looking at this....possibilities!"
    And off into town I went!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Temperatures hit record lows for Texas, that night.
    Measured at the Austin Airport (a stone's throw over the hill from Circuit of the Americas, actually) it reached 27 degrees F.

I only mention so you realize this point of the story:
    These guys were still working at 10:30PM, freezing their $##@ off, in an unheated garage, a long. long way from home.

And still had time to open the locked door, and welcome a stranger.
    That's Biblical, dude!!!!!!

The Cadillac felt warm, and I might have gone a LIITLE past the posted limits on Kellum Road, it winds more than the COTA!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    DATELINE THURSDAY: PRACTICE 1

I had a little trouble with my dog. My Houston sitter had gone missing, so I was travelling with my Red Labrador. My long suffering hosts downtown were having a Funeral Reception on Sunday, so were cleaning up around the house, and own two wonderful pups themselves.

But Uncle Charlie had to find a home, and the first place I took him, no luck.
    Finally I got him sorted and a kindly old Veterinarian on South Congress took him in!

I'm sure he thought I had sold him.......poor thing.
    Four Days in Jail!!!

I got to the Track with the sun well up and a warm ,if brisk Texas Day.
    Lovely weather!

That luck would not hold, thru the weekend.....

Oh, a quick side trip to FedEx Office, some work on the graphics table, and....Voila!!!
    Team Glick Caddy!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

donv and of2worlds like this.
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    .......note the difference!!!!

BRB guys, I have travel and dinner with my mum today, and want to wish ALL my Fchat friends and brothers a very, very happy Thanksgiving!!
    Even Banned Miura, who could pizz off The Pope!!!
    LOL!

I am old, unemployed, broke, but truly, none of that minor stuff even matters....
    "Here's to Health, prosperity in the future, success in love, and in life!"

Cheers!

*clink of glasses*

Hug your kids, hug your family, and your lover, and if all of those are missing, hug the dog!!!!!

I have to go get my pictures from my phone to this PC...those fender shields were a $%^&$^$%&! to get off too, I might add.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I offered to help the chap on the door, he did not know the Windex Trick, and ended up with some wrinkles!!
    Who cares!!?

*Italian shoulder shrug*

I am out of cream for my coffee, let me wander down and see if the French Girls have some!!

The all French team was on a green/black Audi GT4, among them all, spoke NO English!
    Did not even try!!

So I started counting my words in French....croissant, beget, champagne, not many!
    Later, she taught me: "merci, beaucoux!!!

My lovely first wife came with an Audi, but sadly it was a 5000S.
    Almost bankrupted us as it began to fall apart, but it never ran anyone over in a parking garage.
    ("Unintended acceleration" was the charges on 60 Minutes, reduced the cars resale value to $0)

The Audi Group makes very fine cars, now.
    The little green car got my respect (they had girls!!) and Jim's neighbors in the Pits (and on the Track too for most of the race!!) were some Hell Men Germans in an R8 with a V10! They were huge fun, more about that later!!

of2worlds likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    While Our Guys are getting ready for Scrutineering, lets go walkabout, in the Pit Lane.....at this point, I meet the Team Glick OFFICIAL photographer, Hide Shiura, so he tagged along and I showed a few "backstage areas"...Timing and Scoring, how the COTA actually works...

He has pictures of me clowning on the Podium, somewhere.......

Here's the steering wheel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As you see from the empty stands, the odd "Ghost Town" feel would continue all weekend!
    There was no local marketing, no advertising at all really, people would see me in town, and ask what was up?

The whole track population consisted of the Teams, the crews and invited guests, all of which were in the interior of the track, an "island" if you will, from the road you would not even know anything was going on...

A Chinese Circus crew was at Grand Plaza, busily at work on a winter wonderland I can only assume will be a Christmas Festival..

Here's some FERRARI CONTENT, the lone Ferrari488GTB GT3, and it was pretty bad ass....
    In my Risi Competizione gear, I could blend with that crew pretty well, but back with Jim it was more of a "Jeans and sport coat" look.
    I had a Panama Jack, to match his famous Indiana Jones felt!!

He shows up, very soon!!

Write the car numbers down, as the Score Tower comes in thru the weekend, you can keep track.
    That Mercedes red car had a green twin and they and the Aston Martin had the legs to run at the front as did the Team 911 Porsche.
    Good racing!

oh, the reason for the lack of crowd???
    This was not a "COTA event".....the 24H.com series had leased the Track, and it was THEIR business who knew to come!
    Gulf was there (more later), and of course HANKOOK, Cervantes is the managing event organizer, and COTA did support with catering to the Paddock Suites, and the Media Center Café was open so that was a good place to get a hot bite, charge your phone, and rest up if you needed to.

Jim had invited me, on Facebook.
    He did not have to say it twice!!
    :D :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    HB Racing did have a nice padded chair, so I spent some time with them, watching once action started....

Besides, they were next to the French Girls!!!

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can someone translate this?

Igor Ound likes this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BigTex . In none of those pictures do I see the sexy girls you speak of :D

JL350 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Because I have not CAUGHT them yet!

This is Thursday, the first day of what was called Free Practice sessions for the Big Boys, and there was also an under class in the Rear Paddock of DOZENS of those little SCCA racers, whatever they are called....SFG3?? Something like that, they look like baby IMSA McLarens, from the 60s!

IMSA another logo "not seen" this weekend..........24H.com replaces them in this worldwide series.

Sorry for delay, my mum is 94 and it was a RARE day yesterday for a local Italian place to host her, myself (The Middle Child, the "problem" one), my little sister the degreed Professional Engineer, that brews gasoline, and my older brother, the rancher/banker, who is off to Las Vegas today to Rodeo for the next two weeks!

Needless to say, I did NOT pick up the tab.....

BJK,

I would agree EXCEPT that this is the thread that a new member would find first in a search (my new gf in Cali, I think she will log in as "Irish Lisa"....)

Its also where SOME members have chosen to drone on and on about "not much"....like a cheap Japanese TV, so my next seven pages of photos here are an attempt to TRY to explain, once and for all, why Mr. G has "moved on" from the old threads, and is looking forward to his new Factory.
    I hope to participate in that, but time will tell..

For now, lets keep meeting the players!
    Friday is next, where *&^%&^% gets real, they have to put up Qualifying times and get the Grid set.....

Any sandbagging is about to stop.!!!!
    brb....

Tenney, donv and of2worlds like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Nice road map to down here, I found BigTex again!

and the band played on...

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lets see where was I...lots of neat detailing on the cars, the brakes have the SCG logo as do many of the bespoke parts.....

Do you think anyone will find these posts after the thread move?
    I guess they will follow the link.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    of2worlds likes this.