360 tail lights problem | FerrariChat

360 tail lights problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by chipbiii, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Some advice would be appreciated. Just discovered that the two driver side tail lights don’t come on but the same brake lights and turn signals DO work. Any thoughts about what to check first?

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is the right/passenger side FRONT parking light out as well? If so it’s the fuse. The fuses control opposite corners. I don’t remember on the 360, on my 430, the fuse is in the trunk, right side= check the manual for location if it is as described above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm confused with your statement....

Do you mean the driver side Parking Lights are not working but the brake lights and turn signals do work?

1st check fuses, then check the bulb contacts inside the tail lights as those are known to corrode, rust or simply loose connection.

I highly recommend Scud In Swiss LED tail lights. Very well designed and fixes the tail light issues for good.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

F1Spider and 360trev like this.
  4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Funny enough... Stefan just sent me these. Fitted them a few days ago and they are fabulous. Multiple times brighter with instant on/off properties of LED bulbs giving a sharper more modern feel to the lighting. Also replaces the flasher relay which is a known weakspot on the car... Stef now also produces a smart indicators relay with solid state relay so no moving mechanical relays to go wrong... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    whatheheck likes this.
  6. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Ironically, I have that very same Swiss Led system for my front and rear lights and now have this problem. When I turned on my full set of lights, both front and rear, the driver side set of tail lights were not on. The passenger side was illuminated. My wife pressed on the brake lights and they all came on, including the middle brake lights. Both turns signals worked fine, too. However, the middle row of brake lights no longer flashed. as per the Swiss system. Yet another project. I'm working all day and haven't had time to check fuses and the front lights. I sure hope it's a minor issue and NOT a malfunction of the Scuding Swiss system.

7. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I had halogen bulbs and replaced them with LED's too but am disappointed with the lumens/output, I got an HID kit instead

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It depends on the type. Not yet tested mine but there are also different generations and first gen sucked.

As they are not all are the same if you want guaranteed quality you may be better searching for Philips LED bulbs, more expensive but I guarantee better tested and so on.

Someone needs to test a few different types and post results

AHudson likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just for information purposes, this should also be in your owners manual too, here's the complete list of bulb types used for the 360 which is useful when trying to figure out which LED bulbs to order. Note if your new indicator bulbs don't have the correct resistance they will hyper flash as if a bulb is out. You either have to modify indicator relay shunt resistor to work with the failed bulb circuit, or add resistors (yuk). The best way is to get an LED compatible replacement indicators relay and for this I recommend Stef Scuding relay. Image Unavailable, Please Login

AHudson likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Awesome! I have those too in my F430 and I am 1,000% happy!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have yet to read one post of a member having problems with Scud Ing LED lights. I would suggest check all of your connection for proper mating of connectors and check for proper grounding of 3rd brake light connection.

12. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    It gets better. Now I’ve just discovered that the passenger side front parking lamp is out. Took out both rear Scud Ing tail light modules; connectors are fine; still no light for the two driver side LED tail lights, though both brake lights on either side and the passenger side tail lights work. Thought about replacing parking light fuse per the manual but then realized the driver side parking light works. They are Scud Ing LEDs too. Wonder if the passenger wiring harness containing the LED went bad. Oh well.

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    As I mentioned above, fuses control opposite sides of the car- as you are describing.

Besides the tail lights, have you switched out the position light bulbs in the front “angel eyes?”

I had a socket that was shorting out in the small position light bulb that caused the passenger side bulb to go out and the drivers side tail lights to go out. If you haven’t done anything to the position light bulbs, then I suspect it’s the rear tailight assembly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    No matter what the outcome: whether I can solve the problem or I’m fried to a crisp, I really appreciate ALL of y’alls assistance. THANKS GANG!!!!!!! :)

360trev likes this.
  15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you need the wiring schematic diagram for the lights let me know and I'll dig them out...

16. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I agree I converted my running and tail lights to the Scud In Swiss LED's and they are brighter and all 4 tail lights illuminate versus OEM just the outer tail lights.

17. anotherred360

anotherred360 Karting

Jan 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Were you able to solve it? I'm having the same problem, driver outer light works as a brake light and turn signal, but not as a running light when the headlights are on. I'm about to go check the fuses, running light, and tail bulbs.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you have an OEM setup or aftermarket? If OEM, the outer lights should not act as brake lights.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Does your front right hand running light and any of your rectangular side markers work?

19. anotherred360

anotherred360 Karting

Jan 10, 2015
    Atlanta

Thanks for the reply. All OEM. You're right I misremembered, the outer light is not acting as a brake light. Just checked all the lights/turn signals/side dip lights including high beams and everything else works as it should. Just the right outer tail is not functioning as a dip light. Guess that means a wire short somewhere?

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you get around to replacing the bulbs? The bulbs have dual elements. One of the elements may have failed.

anotherred360 likes this.
  21. anotherred360

anotherred360 Karting

Jan 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Couldn't get to it today. Sounds like that could be it though, didn't know it was dual element. I'll check tomorrow.

22. anotherred360

anotherred360 Karting

Jan 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    The bulbs look ok. Swapped the known good passenger tail light over and it didn't work either. I noticed the chassis-side connection on the tail light harness is zip tied really tight to the chassis. Will have to pull the wheel liners at another time but seems like it could be a short in there.

Qavion likes this.
  23. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes, I know Scudding did it ........... but can the rear lights be re-wired so that both come on for parking and for brakes.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't think that would be possible with a standard lampholder if they won't allow you to fit a dual element bulb. Otherwise you will have bright parking lights all the time (or dim brake lights), depending on the bulb fitted.

25. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I meant by duplicating what the outer ones do to the inner ones by splitting the feeds ??
    Or should I stop thinking and take my meds? Image Unavailable, Please Login