Mystery for the Ferrari brain trust. | FerrariChat

Mystery for the Ferrari brain trust.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1 paulchua, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    I'm driving up in the Santa Cruz mountains.

About after 2 hours, I hear a clankty-clank sound and then a loud ka-pow and I fear the worst. The engine feels fine and no smoke or additional sounds after that. I do notice the tire feels flat. I pull off to the side of the road, and yup - flat tire.

No biggie happens all the time.

When I get the tire off, I noticed I can't find any damage on the tire itself. I eagerly anticipate seeing where the hole is that caused the flat.

The tire finally off, what do I see?

A huge 1 inch hole INSIDE the rim and a piece of the metal actually fall out. As if a gun when off INSIDE the tire!

The rotor, brakes, and wheel well are perfect. The car runs smoothly and with zero problems.

The guys at the tire shop are all scratching their heads in amazement.

What could possibly have caused this?

Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    for clarification, that piece of metal you see is confirmed to be part of the rim. I mean, what could cause this? Like a metal rod just enter my rim just right and create a hole? I'm super confused.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    looks like something punched it's way into your rim. The hole has the lip bent inward.

I can't think what would cause this, other than something hitting it at high speed --- like a bullet or a metal rod thrown up at the wheel.

That's weird for sure! Any UFO or Bigfoot sightings in the area?

Sid

WilyB and paulchua like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I did hear a clankty-clank right about 5-10 seconds before the big ka-pow - I don't know maybe a stray metal rod got into my wheel well? Super odd for sure.

5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    A piece of rebar kicked up from the road possibly? Pretty weird, but relatively benign fortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What's so odd is the tire is completely fine - whatever did this somehow go inside the rim itself.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh Wow Paul! if you didn't show the metal piece I could swear someone took a shot at you!

My hunch is a metal rod that got trapped in there. I see more places where it touched it? scratch and small dents. Also along the rim of your wheel there seems to have something been rubbing it. Unfortunate I think, but fortunate enough it didn't take anything else in it's path :) These forces are humongous as you already can see punching a hole through rather thick aluminum.

paulchua likes this.
  8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I’m glad you did not get to an accident Paul because of a rim damage that punctured the tire . I’m glad no one got hurt . Lady Luck is smiling at you.

4re308 and paulchua like this.
  9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    First the stick shift snaps and now this.

I guess the car has still not forgiven you for your piece about what you did not like about it.

paulchua likes this.
  10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Can you check whether all suspension and other bolts in that area are still on the car?

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Car runs perfectly, no suspension damage (as far as I can see) or missing bolts - but I will take another closer look!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Paul, good to see you kept it gathered up and nothing worse happened. What spare wheel did you use to get back to the work shop? Is it a full size front wheel as your spare?

paulchua likes this.
  13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yikes? Very mysterious.
    I wonder if a good welding shop can make the repair?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I actually got it flat-bedded back to my house (I have AAA Premier)
    Cheers

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Is'nt that a magnesium wheel ? If so, magnesium takes fire when welding ?

Guido

ronfrohock likes this.
  16. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Paul, some of the scratches in the picture appear to be on the same track as the hole. It's as if something came loose and managed a few revolutions before rotating and getting between a part of the suspension/brake system and the wheel. I have never seen an object that was lying on the road do that. It would take a large bolt to punch a hole like that. You should definitely see a mark on the suspension/brake system where it levered into the rim.

Glad you are okay.

paulchua likes this.
  17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I thought it was cast aluminum???

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's my 2 cents: I couldn't really make out from the first picture exactly where the puncture is in relation to each edge of the wheel so don't have much of an opinion of the odds of some foreign object being able to get into that position to make a puncture. But I do see fresh metal scrapes in the picture. From the previous few posts, there seems to be some uncertainty about the material used in the Mondial wheel and that leads me to a theory to explore.

What occurs to me is a technical term called "galling" that is often seen in metallurgy situations. Basically, galling is an adhesion between two different metals somewhat like different metals welding themselves together by mere contact. The phenomena is mostly seen in bolts and nuts made of different materials and once mated are very difficult to unscrew. My highly remote theory based on metallurgy is that a foreign metal object attached itself to the wheel thru galling action and was in turn struck by another object that "hammered" the first attached object thru the wall of the wheel and then the first object fell off.

I notice what appears to be a small "plug" next to the punctured hole. Do you think they are the same or different materials? Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks John, that metal slug I think is part of the hole. There is this pattern on the opposite end of the rim that also exists on that metal piece. Once we took off the tire, that metal teardrop fell out. Let me take some more pictures/video and post. I appreciate your time and think your theory is very interesting.

Cheers

ronfrohock likes this.
  20. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    If it is debris derived, I have had 1 in 1 million things like this happen to a variety of cars, last one was a small rock some how getting stuck in caliper on my Subaru. I thought i had severely damaged something and made a horrendous noise. Actually did very little damage to none to rotor and caliper assembly.

paulchua likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm starting to think it was like a metal rod or rebar, because before the loud ka-pow, I did hear a clankty-clank sound...perhaps the bar got wedged between the rotor and the rim creating the punture...i probably should have played the lottery instead of going for a drive!! I will report more when the rim replacement arrives from Germany.

22. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I hope this will be solved quickly ! I dont want to drive with a bullet proof jacket in the future...

Guido

paulchua likes this.
  23. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

While you are waiting for your replacement wheel, if you are feeling the need to drive, you could purchase this Mondial-t look alike.

It's look and design are sooooo close to a Mondial, that I'm sure no one would even know that you aren't driving a real Ferrari!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-mazda-az-1-7/

LOL - on a serious note, if I wasn't still in the middle of a move, I'd purchase this car and paint it Blue-Sera!

Sid

Il Steeg and paulchua like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha, I'm pretty sure it is a fluke of strangeness!
    Wow that's pretty neat! Never seen anything like it!

Cheers

25. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    And... BONUS!!!

The timing belt was replaced only 10K miles ago!

No info on whether it required an engine-out.

Sid

paulchua likes this.