Why the 612? | FerrariChat

Why the 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by F612, Nov 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Last winter when I was looking for my first Ferrari, I struggled with choosing between a 599 and a 612.
    Both cars were 2008s with about 12K miles .I thought then and think now that "real" Ferraris have V12s. Both were well equipped and priced about the same.

I chose the 612 OTO for practical reasons of 4 seats, luggage room and its rarity. I'm sure either choice would have been OK.

Yesterday was a beautiful day- sunny and about 67 F. I took the 612 for a solo "spirited" ride through the country in AL(down Hwy. 25) near Barber Motorsports Park and confirmed, again, that the big ole 612 is , By God, a real Ferrari. The 599 would surely run away on a racetrack, but I don't think so on a public road.

When you have had a good time, switch the mannetino to "soft" and take your wife and/or friends to dinner in style. Image Unavailable, Please Login

lee-o, Anthony James, randkin and 5 others like this.
  2. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    I followed the same thought process to end up with a 612 - and did the same yesterday in the Surrey hills South of London, without kids/wife and dog complaining about motion sickness. What an engine symphony indeed.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

lee-o, 599_GTO and F612 like this.
  3. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    She's beautiful in white!

Erik

lee-o likes this.
  4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thank you very much.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Heck, yeah, that's a beauty!
    T

lee-o likes this.
  6. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    The 612 feels every bit as special as a 599. I still fall in love with it every time I see it, let alone start it up and drive it!

lee-o likes this.
  7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    [
    Great looking car I am sure you will really enjoy it.

I like your decision process which was quite similar to mine when I got my first Ferrari a couple years ago. It is also a 2008 612 OTO car. Interestingly enough is your stable of vehicles is similar to mine which just goes to show great minds run in similar patterns. :D

lee-o likes this.
  8. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Beautiful color on the 612! White really works with the long body of the car.

I am 6'4", so after 6 years of contorting myself into a 360, I switched over to the 612. They are brilliant cars!

9. jlaws02

jlaws02 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2017
    south carolina
    i have 4 kids so we won't all fit in anything ever, but last weekend two were away at a sleepover and i took my wife and two younger kids out. we screamed around and the kids kept wailing "do it again!!!" when i floored it and shot them back in their seats. i know that i could get a faster ferrari but i also know that the amount of fun we have, in aggregate, with 4 in the car is exponentially higher than with just me +1. last, i know a lot of folks don't like the 612 and that's fine with me. it's a RWD naturally aspirated V12 ferrari. how can that be a bad thing?

lee-o, Anthony James, TheCook and 3 others like this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I love the 612. Such a cool car. The belt service is a pain, but its such a small sacrafice for a great car. I like them in Gugio Alloy with the tan interior.

lee-o likes this.
  11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    What a beauty! Can't been many in that color - suits it really well!