Cold Start Valve Removel and Vacuum - HELP NEEDED | FerrariChat

Cold Start Valve Removel and Vacuum - HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Brian Marks, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I’m going thru a restoration of my ‘82 Mondial 8 (2V) and decided to remove all smog equipment, catalytic convs and also the cold start valve - based on a process posted here by Birdman.

I’m a bit unclear on the routing for vacuum hoses and the electrovalves (square valves with 3 vacuum ports).....is there a clear layout someone can help with ??

Do these electro valves need to be plugged in or can I eliminate wiring and vacuum entirely from the setup ??

Would very much appreciate your insight and help.

Brian Marks
    Cincinnati OH

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I would avoid using those type of hose clips with the open ports, they tend to squeeze and damage the rubber hose surface, also they can be a pig to remove when they get a few years on them- have a look for some solid stainless types

3. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    Thanks - not exactly the question I was posing.

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Cold start valve : you can leave the valve in place, just disconnect the blue electric connector. Be shure that valve is not leaking even with the connector of !.

Guido

5. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    I’ve removed the ColdStart Valve entirely and plugged the hard pipes.....question now is can i eliminate the ElectroValves all the way around and just plug up the vacuum as needed ???

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    If you've physically removed the cold start air valve and blocked the two large air conveyance ports in your photo = yes, you can remove the ElectroValve associated with it, and just plug the small vacuum line going to it (or cap off the vacuum source). However, your post says "ElectroValves" -- the other ElectroValves are associated with the EGR system and the Air Injection system (IIRC). If you have also physically removed all of the components associated with those systems = you can remove them, too, and plug their vacuum sources.

The only issue you might have is the yellow "cold-running" warning light in the dash may not work correctly (my foggy recollection is that the cold start air valve ElectroValve coil wiring is involved in its operation). My guess would be that it would just never illuminate with the cold start air valve ElectroValve missing/unplugged; however, if it stays "on" all the time, give a shout and I'll see what might be done.

PS I hope you leave the wiring harness intact and uncut so that future restoration is possible.

7. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    Steve - yes thanks for the info. I actually removed all the US installed smog equipment, along with the air injection and test tubes…basically taking it back to a European 308 engine setup. I’ve kept the wiring loom intact along with installing the electrovalves in their respective locations and will just plug up vacuum source.

See image below....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I love how you pulled the motor! Did you do the red powder coating on the valve covers? How did you do the plugs over the exhaust test ports?

9. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    JK - thanks, pretty easy with the subframe ~20 bolts and a few connections - it took about an hour to drop onto my table.

Yes, had the valve covers and airbox powder coated in red crinkle-coat locally.

Welded the exhaust air injection holes and used red plugs that I bought from a supplier in UK spec’d to match threads to plug. Clean look and eliminates a ton of the crap US Smog equipment - see pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just a small time filling job for a sunday afternoon then- best of luck

11. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Beautiful!!!! I thought the test tubes came through the silver heat shield and not where the red head bolts are. You have silver round plugs (4) coming through....Keep the pictures and the examples coming. I am very interested to see how the engine performs. Right now my Mondial 3.2 is not running due to an unknown electrical / fuel injection problem. Scratching my head wondering if converting this over to a carb system would be the way to go.

12. Brian Marks

Brian Marks Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    BMTopSpeed
    You’re correct - I realized just as soon as I posted that reply I had it backwards in my description. Exhaust test holes were welded shut and buffed clean......the other holds had the air injectors that were already corroded (common problem) and since Smog was removed these had to come out as well ! I thought that red bung plugs were a nice touch.

I’m planning re-introduce the engine to the car sometime next week - stay tuned !

13. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Red plugs are a nice touch! I am anxiously waiting to see the progress.

14. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I dont have experience with solid stainless straps. My original Ferrari straps have a slot like I am seeing in the picture. I bought all new german made stainless steel with the rounded edge (as to not fillet the side of the hose) at belmetric.com

I was looking at your earlier posts to see what year your Mondial was.....

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They are just a better quality hose clip. I had to change the water pump on mine and it had those open style of hose clip which were fitted at its build, took for ever to remove as jammed solid and had to cut in situ to get them off.