NASCAR 2018 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Exactly, actually he could have pulled it off with one win .....
    He just had to finish today ahead of the other 3.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I caught the last 40 laps and decided to stick with it to the end.

Interesting to see how much the cars were sliding around pretty much all over the place.

Race to the end was interesting, the way Truex was catching and passing guys near the end
    had me convinced he'd walk away with it but obviously his tires went off and Logano overtook
    him easily.

Said it earlier in the year and restating it now, the color schemes on the cars really look great.
    The cars are colorful and bright for the TV cameras obviously but have to say they really looked
    great under the lights tonight.

BHW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I really wish Newman had won the championship under this (or roughly similar) format with zero wins when he had the chance a few years ago; that would have put an end to this nonsense.

ferraripete and KBR54 like this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If NASCAR kept to a regular championship format forgoing this "Chase" stuff, who
    would have been champion on points, Truex?

BHW

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    With all that can happen in a Cup race, it's rather remarkable that coming down to the finish, the four championship contenders occupied the first four places. And now, all four have won championships.

I hear Logano is the 33rd driver to have won NASCAR's top series, and it is Roger Penske's 33rd series championship. Numerologists may have fun with that.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Didn't you notice that Keselowski bumped Suarez who then spun and cause the yellow? When Logano came out of the pits all of a sudden he was way faster than Turex and Harvick. And who is Keselowski's team mate? Logana drove the wheels off the 22, but it makes you wonder. If it hadn't been for that yellow I think Truex would be champ. :)

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

well...another season over and I managed to watch not even one race. I wonder how many other fans of the Winston cup and nascar...when it was still nascar...have similarly lost all interest?

my home on the east coast is in Cornelius/lake norman. I see joey often at the harris teeter. I will give him an atta boy and let him know I was glued to the tube this season:)

Isobel likes this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Likewise, the Homestead event Saturday and Sunday was the first time I've watched NASCAR for any
    length of time in I don't know how long, several years.

Usually, its at the end of the races where they goof things up with all the "Green-White-Checker" nonsense
    and was waiting for this to happen again and thankfully didn't.

If NASCAR would keep their mitts off the racing action, stop with all the manufactured drama nonsense,
    put cars on the track that are relevant to their road-going counterparts, they'd likely see more people returning
    to the fold. But, in a state of the series article, the new NASCAR president more or less doubled down on
    the nonsense factor and so their ratings and and attendance figures will continue to drop.

That said, the grandstands at Homestead looked pretty full Sunday. Of course, that's a Ford sponsored race
    and who know how many of those tickets were comp'd by local Ford dealers and they were
    advertising heavily in Miami (TV, billboard, radio, etc.) right up until Friday. My guess is, a good number of those there were on free tickets.

BHW

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're a car guy/racing fan in the heart of NASCAR country and can't be bothered to watch. that's pretty telling.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    My uncle is in North-Central Illinois, within driving distance to Iowa, Chicagoland, Indianapolis and
    regularly ventured to Talledega and Daytona to see NASCAR races. In other words, a loyal
    NASCAR fan who'd think nothing of dropping a couple thousand bucks on a race weekend, watch
    some racing and do some business.

Last time I spoke with him back in the summer, he told me that he doesn't even follow NASCAR
    anymore due to all the crazy rules and nonsense.

These are the kinds of guys NASCAR may ill afford to lose in this mad dash to find new fans,
    they're ignoring the guys who got them where they are today. Pity.

BHW

of2worlds likes this.
  11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ouch indeed.

A lot of the ratings decline has to be put at the feet of the host broadcast networks which continue
    to employ these motor mouth jack-ass commentators whom are obviously told to fill every available
    second with endless blather.

As a viewer, if you're watching the two hour pre-race hype with eleven teen hundred commentators,
    the during in-race with three guys in the booth and half a dozen patrolling the pit lane, it's exhausting
    to listen to.

The whole thing needs to go back to a square one rethink. There's an old marketing adage which
    applies here, if the product is weak overhype. If the broadcast networks cut the pre-race to 10 or
    15 minutes, setting the scene, who's on pole, about the track, then green flag, it would be a whole
    lot easier to swallow.

Not sure if anyone noticed it but at Homestead the sound of the cars on track was drowning out
    the commentators so it was almost palatable, not sure is this was intentional but it made it a bit
    more enjoyable to watch.

Haven't seen any comments yet from NASCAR officialdom addressing the ratings decline, all we
    ever see is how rosy everything is. They have to figure the retirement of Jr. Jr. Jr. plays a big role
    in some of it.

BHW

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I stopped watching when this playoff/chase started. Apparently Gordon would have 3 more titles if the old points systems was in place rather than the chase. I know strategies would have been different so maybe not, but whatever.

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Are there any sports that are actually up? It seems like sports as a whole tend to be declining...maybe they should all start getting participation trophies to bring the new millennials in.

Yeah, big picture maybe but I would be disgusted if that idiot was handed a championship.

14. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This,
    I was never a die hard fan but I've been to dozen races over the year. I have a better chance explaining how a cricket match works than how a NASCAR race is regulated.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The concerning thing is, NASCAR has implemented a lot of these arcane rules changes and format restructuring
    as a result of fans suggestions.

Fans suggest this or that and NASCAR actually considers them which is likely how they ended up "Green-White-Checker"
    and this "Chase" thing.

So, NASCAR gives their fans what they want and the fans respond by leaving the sport by the droves.

With this in mind, Liberty is doing much the same thing now with F-1. They're actually considering restructuring
    F-1 qualifying format, expanding to four sessions rather than three per the suggestion of fans. Liberty better
    wake up and see that NASCAR went down this path and have painted themselves into a corner with all the
    nonsense.

BHW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NBA, maybe. NFL and MLB are down, but not to the degree NASCAR is.

IndyCar has had some rating increases here and there.

why is Newman an idiot?

not sure about that...g/w/c was brought about to keep races from ending under yellow when the stopped racing back to the yellow. then they realized it was a great opportunity to wreck cars, so it became more common. not sure if fans asked for that.

Chase was brought about by Brian France's attempt to a) make NASCAR a stick and ball sport, and b) boost ratings at the end of the season when they're going head to head with the NFL. again, I don't know any long time NASCAR fan who really enjoys the Chase.

agree about Liberty, they're trying to figure out how to get that ROI. they're going about it the wrong way IMO.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    NFL ratings are up in 2018 over 2017. NBA ratings have been steadily climbing over a few years, but this season is only a month old and too soon to tell, but Thursday night TNT ratings are down thus far. They are putting out a better product so viewers will watch. Unlike NASCRAP.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A lot of it comes down to time.

With so much to take people's time with entertainment these days, a four to five hour NASCAR
    race doesn't fit with busy schedules and waning attention spans. Likewise, NFL games creeping
    towards five hours is in the same bracket.

NBA, NHL, both fun to watch and games are done within two hours. Far friendlier for TV viewers
    and paying fans.

With every NASCAR race (and I do mean every NASCAR race) getting what amounts to Super Bowl
    like hype with all the pre-race build up, the long races and post-race analysis where they begin to hype
    the next race, meaning the average NASCAR event is on TV for eight hours. Who's got the time?

The Frances aren't going to abandon this approach and an article appeared somewhere earlier this
    week that the move is afoot to have NASCAR buy the ISC making thing easier for an eventual sell-off.

The only way this course will change is under new ownership but this will be a long, slow process and
    by the time it happens, it could be that no one cares any more.

BHW

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians