For Sale - Swift Formula Atlantic 008/014 with SG3 conversion | FerrariChat

For Sale Swift Formula Atlantic 008/014 with SG3 conversion

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by KWMack, Aug 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    For sale is my 1999 Swift 008 Formula Atlantic, chassis number 037. The car has just undergone a tub-up rebuild. It has a current SCCA log book and homologation certificate. A summary of the car is as follows:
    • Toyota 4AGE 1,600 cc engine by QuickSilver. Only 20 (twenty) shake down miles on it.
    • Pectel ECU (unlocked).
    • Hewland SG3 gearbox conversion with Quaife ATB differential by Taylor Race Engineering. The SG3 was fitted to the 008's replacement, the Swift 014. It is significantly stronger and more reliable compared to the gearbox that originally came with the 008 (Hewland NST). It is a 5-speed sequential. Also only has 20 shake down miles on it.
    • Swift 014 tunnels, which substantially increased downforce compared to the 008.
    • Penske 8760s on all four corners.
    • New Fuel Safe fuel cell with new Bosch in-cell fuel pump.
    • Rebuilt Brembo calipers with new Hawk pads.
    • New master cylinders (not rebuilt), with rebuilt pedal cluster and brake bias bar.
    • New CDS CoPilot 2 data acquisition system with GPS.
    • New radiator and oil cooler.
    • New LifeLine electric fire suppression system (special ordered to fit in factory mounting location).
    • New alternator.
    • Mounted Hoosier slicks with twenty miles (stored properly so will be good for several additional heat cycles.)
    • Mounted Hoosier rains (again, stored properly.)
    • OMP belts.
    • New Momo steering wheel.
    • Fresh paint.
    • New creafoam bead seat kit in the box, ready to be poured.
    The car is currently set up for Watkins Glen. It is corner balanced, aligned, and ready to go. During the very brief shake down I ran 1:46s on the long course. It is fast and well sorted.

Spares include:
    • Custom fabricated string alignment setup
    • New transport wheels (mounted on car in photos in driveway)
    • Some gearsets
    • Original differential
    • Fuel pump
    • Fuel pump collector box
    • Master cylinders (rebuildable)
    • Extra pedal assembly with chassis brace
    • Large assortment of camber shims (new)
    • All factory manuals, set up information, and wiring diagrams for the ECU and wiring harness
    • Spare suspension mounts
    • Radiator
    • Quieter muffler (required at some tracks)
    • Multiple diapers (covers the engine and gearbox and connects the two tunnels beneath the car)
    I am only selling the car because I do not have much time to go racing anymore. What time I do have, I want to focus on my 360 Challenge. Contact me with any questions, and if I think of anything else I will amend the post.

The price is $58,500, and the car is located North of Buffalo, New York.

-Kyle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Guys - don't let Kyle's single post deter you - he is a lurker and not a poster :)

I know Kyle personally and he is a stand up guy. If I had the time and could fit in this car, I'd probably buy it ;)

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I bet it would be really fun to drive on those skinny tires. :eek: GLWS, seems like a lot of fun for the money.

4. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Thanks, Dave. “Lurker” is a good descriptor. Lol. I am on the site a lot, I just never feel I have anything intelligent to add to the conversations. This posting should change that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's badass. GLWS.

6. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    These are absolutely beautiful cars.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Would love to drive this!

8. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Some additional photos. As you will see, my daughter is going to be very upset with me (some day) for selling what she considered to be her car... I should have added this with the original post, but I will also consider partial trades up or down for Ferrari 348/355/360 or Porsche 911 street cars. Can never have too many in the collection. Thanks for looking, and let me know if you have any questions. -Kyle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Are the motorcycle wheels and tires solely for transport? Or are they 'driveable'?

10. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Transport only. They give the car an additional 2.5 inches of ground clearance for ease of loading into the trailer. With the slicks installed and set up for a smooth track, the car has 1.25 inches of ground clearance at the front of the tub and 1.75 at the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Price drop. $53,000 obo.

12. BimmerOSU

BimmerOSU Rookie

Apr 19, 2017
    Westerville, Ohio
    Always wanted to race Atlantic's but Fvee was about my speed;).

13. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Atlantics are incredible to drive, but the racing is a lot "closer" in FV. Bump drafting doesn't usually go over very well among the Atlantic crowd. :) I have always had a soft spot for Vees ever since I was a kid. They are cool little cars.

That said, it is never too late to step up to a new class. This car would look great in your garage, and it is literally turn-key....

rdefabri likes this.
  14. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    What a cool car, best of luck

15. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Thank you, John.

I have to say I am a little surprised this car has not generated more interest, given prior threads on this site regarding Atlantics.

16. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What does it take to keep the car running well in terms of yearly maintanance?

18. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Done the Lewiston border crossing a number of times. What does it feel like taking turn 2 at Mosport in a Formula Atlantic?

Good luck selling it!

19. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    There, unfortunately, is not a simple answer to that question. It all comes down to how often you use it, and how you drive it.

A set of tires is currently going for around $1,800. You can get 8-10 heat cycles per set before they really start falling off. Pads are about $600 per set. If you run tracks with overall high speeds, a set of pads will last 3-4 weekends. If you run shorter technical tracks with heavy braking, plan to go through a set per weekend. Rotors will last several seasons. I would change the spark plugs every other weekend and the oil after every weekend. These are the immediate consumable items. The large ticket items are engine and gearbox rebuilds. How long you can go between rebuilds depends on how you drive the car. With respect to the engine, if you consistently shift below 10,000 rpm, the engine will last 1,000 - 1,200 race miles. If you short shift at around 9,000 rpm, you may get 1,500 miles out of it, but that would make me nervous. If you shift between 10,250 and 10,500, don't expect more than 500 miles, if that. An engine rebuild will run approx. $8,000 to $10,000. The SG3 gearbox is pretty robust and the differential I have in this one is relatively maintenance free. The primary expense related to the gearbox is dog rings. If you rev-match for up shifts and down shifts w/o using the clutch, expect to go through a set of dog rings per season. If you shift with the clutch, a set of dog rings will last several seasons. A full gearbox rebuild will run approx. $5,000, but you may only need one every three-to-five seasons depending on use.

As I said, this is not a simple question to answer, but I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

20. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    This is a very sad admission, but I have never run Mosport in any car... I am hoping to rectify this and get the Challenge car up there this summer.

Are you in the Toronto area?

21. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Lived there for a long time, but live in Alberta now. Done Mosport on 2 wheels only.... It is one hell of a track.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Thanks for the response. The cosumables run pretty much the same as my Lotus, except for the engine rebuilds, and thats the big number.
    I can understand why a number of these cars now run Haybusa motors.

Great laptime at the Glen, thats really cooking. All very well having a car that can do it, but the human brain has to be up to that pace, fantastic.
    Out of curiosity, what type of time do you run st the Glen in the 360 challenge.

23. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Sorry for the long delay in responding. I will let you know what times the 360 turns at the Glen in the spring. I have yet to make it there with the car. I tried in September, but the tractor trailer broke down en route and it took the whole weekend to coordinate the logistics of getting the rig back home. Photo of the Challenge car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and Dave rocks like this.
  24. KWMack

KWMack Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Lewiston, NY
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    The racing season is in full swing now and the Atlantic is still available. New price: $48,000 for the car, spares, and all of the other stuff I have accumulated for it.
    You will not find a turn-key package like this with a tub-up rebuild anywhere else.

Still open to the idea of street car trades if anyone is interested...

-Kyle

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I’ve driven FF 2000 and I think FA is a pretty big jump. I’m not a competitive racer, but I’d say my limit would be FA, and that’s pushing it.

I’d love to drive one, but it’s probably beyond my capabilities.