Just drove the new Vantage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just drove the new Vantage

Discussion in 'British' started by F40-R, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Now that I look again, it's not really a "V" shape at all. But that black stuff makes it look like a robot ... see the two eyes (ventilation outlets)? :confused:

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think they lost it per se. They're very capable of making amazing looking cars, it's just their management is too dumb to trickle it down.

The Vulcan is amazing looking.
    The Valkyrie is amazing looking.
    The One-77 was really good looking.

They have class designs, they have exotic designs. For some reason management is incapable of putting them to go use.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Vantage is absolutely a sports car. It's not an exotic car, but it's definitely a sports car. I think the MSRP is about $50K too high. It's just a worse, but more exclusive AMG GT.

As for classic design... I don't see it. The new Vantage is a modern take and new direction. It is a significant departure for AM. If you want a classic GT car at these prices, just get a 911...

boxerman likes this.
  4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I do loathe the new grille.

Ryan S. likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

We're fully in agreement, as with many car companies management failure.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cross shoppers for a vantage are Porsche turbo, mac 570, amg gt. midengined 570 is obviously most sporty, vantage most luxurious, and Porsche most versatile, while amg has most familiar dealer network. seems like just right amount of choices to me.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Right, and as in the past the biggest reason to pick the Aston over one of the others is it was a looker, not so anymore..

randkin, tifoso2728 and David Lind like this.
  8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ok, just got back from testing it out and I liked it. Looks fantastic to me and I love all the different finishes that are available from chrome to body color, to cf, to gloss or matt black. Very bespoke compared to porsche or amg. Interior is nice too. Everything well laid out with nice feel. Comfortable with good visibility. Side view mirrors are very special like on a pagani. Interior has beautiful mix of materials but standard steering wheel needs the cf upgrade.
    start up could be louder but there is an optional sport exhaust I didnt get to hear. In comfort mode with auto trans, its very relaxing and comfortable. Even non enthusiasts would find it no problem daily driving. Track mode w paddles is pretty good too. I used to be a dct snob but these new auto transmission are almost as good. Amazing how easy it is to break traction though. Was a cold damp day but partial throttle in 3rd gear sent esp into seizures. Did not expect that at all. Steering had nice feel but brakes were touchy and hard to modulate but would probably get used to them as owner.
    So overall its a mega improvement over the previous vantage which I hated. Will have a 3 pedal option soon along with an s version and amr 12 cylinder. Also a soft top convertible. I would probably take it over a 911 or amg if I were in market for a sporty gt car. Definitely deserves a look

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What was the sticker on the one you drove?

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good question. base is 150 and i guess options were another 15.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    How has the reliability for the AM relative to a Porsche Turbo? Where I live not many AM dealers so that is kind of a big deal for me.
    I previously loved the AM looks but lack of dealer service and my perceived lack of reliability put me off.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    With amg innards, im sure reliability is fine but I wouldn't buy one unless dealer was local. Same for my lotus and alfa, im about 45 min from both. Otherwise, its a german or American car

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
  14. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    I like the new Vantage.

But for now sticking with my GT3 Touring: 500 pounds lighter, and with a stick more fun to drive. Plus ownership cost much cheaper.

In the end, as always, Aston ownership always requires a "gotta have it" scenario as it does have some down sides.

Lots of tough competition in this segment.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    It's a stretch to call it a "more exclusive AMG GT". It shares engine and some infotainment, but that's it.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    despite mechanical similarities w amg, i would much rather have vantage even w the added cost