Need advice on selling car and mods | FerrariChat

Need advice on selling car and mods

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wasax.rc, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    All,

Would love some input here. Unfortunately I need to sell my F cars (488/F12). Was wondering if you were a prospective buyer, how you would want view mods. Both cars are lightly modified (Capristo exhaust, HRE wheels and Novitec springs) and the mods have extremely low miles on them. Would you

1. Return to stock prior to sell and sell parts individually and fully disclose.
    2. Keep as is and provide original parts and let buyer decide?

I know some feel modification severely damage the value of the car and some are ok. Obviously tried to stay light mods but interested in input. Thank you in advance.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    my understanding is that its better to return to stock. i just traded in my F430 and I believe they are taking off the tint, radio, etc. and those are even more minor of upgrades

3. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I wouldn’t buy a modified car. I just wouldn’t entertain it as there will be a feeling that it has been messed with.

350MH83 likes this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Return to stock. Every modification reduces your buyer pool.

5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would split the exhaust mod from the wheels, tires/ springs. But since you will have to do some work, you might as well put it all back to stock.

Rbwiii likes this.
  7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Return the car to stock or decrease the prospective buyer pool and realize a lower sale price.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

boobernackle likes this.
  8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    What others have said, return to stock. Dealers will price accordingly when going for trade figures too. Sell the parts on the side, if you can get anything for them at all.

9. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you aren't in a hurry, maybe you can advertise them here with and without the mods, just to see what happens. Seems easy enough to say, "car can be purchased as modded or returned to stock for $ X."

Solid State likes this.
  10. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    List it nodded and see if the right buyer is out there. If it doesn’t go you can always return to stock and relist it

Solid State likes this.
  11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    For Ferraris I think stock is always best. For other cars the mods may be appealing, if not too extensive/tastful and the cars is not a collectible or very expensive vehicle.

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Post pics and details. You might have some prospective buyers here....

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Those add on's would not deter me but I would also want the stock items.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its a good question. Only the wheels would show visual difference in the add so I would return those back to stock and offer them in the deal along with the original parts for exhaust and springs. This is assuming you did not go too low on the setup. The F12 responds superbly (properly I would say) to a bit of lowering and looks closer to the wheel gap on the F12TDF (which has the stiffer springs and bars). For sure some prefer full stock but these are not LEs so if it looks stock and you can offer the original parts or full convert back not an issue. A PPI will reveal any prior changes made anyway even if returned to stock so everything should be disclosed.

15. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    Thank you all, really appreciate it.

16. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Those are common upgrades, I would leave it as is, but make clear you have the original wheels and springs as well. I generally add an exhaust to my FCars so I look at it as a plus. Make sure your responses are from people who actually buy Ferrari's

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I've bought 3 Ferraris, a Lamborghini and a Porsche over the last 8 or so years. I won't even click an ad that has aftermarket wheels on the car. 1. I don't want to deal with having to put it back to stock and 2. I wouldn't want to buy from some of the people I know that feel the need to put fancy wheels on a car. I'd prefer to buy from the old guy that drives it to the country club vs. the gold chain guy that takes it to the dance club.

You're limiting your buyer pool and would get more $ selling the parts separate.

350MH83 and boobernackle like this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Those are pretty mild. But optics count for a lot. I suggest putting on the stock wheels, but leave everything else.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Ky1e likes this.
  19. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Generally only mods that are universally desirable are better left on the car.

For example, Porsche GT3 owners would likely appreciate a center bypass exhaust and clear side markers.

Ferrari buyers for some reason don't seem to like mods in general. I would say the only mods that are valued better on the car than off are carbon fiber part.

I would remove the rest. You should be able to get 50% of MSRP for the Capristo exhaust. The Novitec springs will likely be worth little on or off. HRE wheels definitely take them off, you should get at least 50% of MSRP on those as well.

20. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I wouldn't advertise them with the mods on, as if they didn't sell and you returned to stock, buyers may feel a bit suspicious. I'd definitely remove mods to sell separately and sell those beautiful cars stock. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    For me I wouldn't even consider your car. Wouldn't buy a modified car even if it was wheels. Just my opinion it presents a negative to me of the owner. Put it back to stock and sell all the parts. Probably get more money and you wont alienate any prospective buyers.

Shadowfax likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Mods on a car like this are massive detractor.

Crazy as it sounds 99.9999% of used car buyers like to imagine they are buying a virgin so if the car is lowered with aftermarket wheels and an exhaust ask yourself what does message does that give?

23. 1badass458

1badass458 Rookie

Oct 16, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I may be interested in the HRE’s. Which style and rear tire size?

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, return it to stock, so the buyer can pay to have it modified exactly like that again (sarcasm emoji).

Sheesh, between that and the mileage obsession Ferrari owners border on insanity.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It depends on the cost of returning to stock.

The wheels and exhaust aren't going to be a big deal for a buyer, especially if the exhaust sounds good and is a name brand. The springs might be an issue though, especially if they lowered the car or made it more aggressive/rough.

The mods aren't worth anything extra with the car, so if the cost of returning to stock isn't substantial, you'd be better off returning to stock and selling the stuff separately.

You should list it as is anyway and see what happens. Maybe it sell with the mods at the price you want without the hassle of returning to stock. It couldn't hurt to try.