Max Verstappen | Page 47 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    LH was clearly not the right person to speak to, after being handed the win by the same situation.
    I guess MV realized that as well after LH replied to him, and thus did not talk any further.
    Come on, do not overanalyze everything!

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This has nothing to do with Max, or Tom, or Harry or anyone else.

I just hate violence with a passion, and I have no time for people who have fits of temper at other people's expense.

Sportsmen act as role models, and condonning Verstappen' s behaviour is simply endorsing violence to the younger audience.

3. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    @william,
    of course a driver is allowed to unlap, but F1 is no Nascar of Indy or whatever. It normally does not happen that a driver that has been lapped , is faster than the race leader. Remember, a F1 lap is much longer than an oval lap.
    In F1 unlapping is very rare. Happens maybe once a year (or 5) or so.
    So what should a driver do if his car is faster (consistently) than the leader? follow him a few rounds and then make the move when it is clear that the leader is consistently slowing the backmarker down. By that time the race leader will see that a pass will come, and is deserved...
    Now it was a complete surprise, and even if it had worked, completely useless as the SS tires would only be up to MV's speed for like 3 laps. And then Ocon would have gotten blue flags all over.

With hindsight it is easy to say that MV should have see Ocon coming, and should have let him pass right away.
    But come on, why should he, race leader and clearly 2 secs a lap faster, expect a backmarker trying to pass him?

The only real mistake MV made, was talking about it to LH. That was pointless.

About MV using violence, really? He pushed him, not unlike Senna or James Hunt who punched others in the face. You hate them too?

275gtb6c likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max lacked analysis on and off track. I dont have any respect for drivers who think attacking physically your opponent is justified. It never is and should be dealt with harshly. No driver is a saint and I worship NONE of them ever. They are frail little humans like the rest of us. They are not at all 'special'

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Very good.
    So you should be happy with that.

6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

It was clearly an emotional outburst, which all human beings suffer from time to time.
    Your own emotional outbursts are being projected by bashing your keyboard.

You don't respect drivers who have committed physical punching such as Senna, Hunt, Piquet etc
    OK, we get it.

Ocon and Max looked like teenage pushing to me.

7. DF1

You are not here at my keyboard. This is all quite easy to summarize. Max is an immature idiot who did well to prove that yesterday in a situation outlined by LH as one very easy to have been dealt with. No emotion or outburst here. A few clicks and hitting send lol

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    There is a reoccuring pattern of violence (verbal or physical) with Max Verstappen that is unaccaptable.

I didn't condonne Hunt or Senna either, in fact I have a very poor opinion of Senna.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They don't deserve respect, if they display unsporting behaviour.

Glad you got that.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    If the race leader was clearly 2 seconds a lap quicker, how is it that Ocon was catching him and in a position to pass? So unlapping is rare - what is your point? Ocon was in a position to unlap himself in this situation, as rare as that might be.

I love Senna and like Hunt. I hated any time they would use violence. Same applies to any other athlete who is not in combat sports. Is it that black and white for you? If one hates a specific behavior of someone else, then they just hate them entirely?

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

In which case conveying your point once is presumably enough ? ;)

12. DF1

Happy lol? No Max should be happy that someone was helping him understand what he had faced and the issue surrounding its outcome

ATBNM3 likes this.
  13. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

In which case half of the NHL players need to be sacked

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's irrelevent in this discussion about the behaviour of F1 drivers.

I don't know anything about NHL and do no wish to either.

In every sport, there is a code of conduct. It's up to the sporting authorities to enforce it.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    SO YOU'RE CONDONING VIOLENCE ?? o_O

16. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    @kizdan"If the race leader was clearly 2 seconds a lap quicker, how is it that Ocon was catching him and in a position to pass? So unlapping is rare - what is your point? Ocon was in a position to unlap himself in this situation, as rare as that might be."
    really/ Did you read into this or even watched the race? Ocon was trying to unlap because he just had new supersofts on.
    Supersofts are faster than the soft tire. But do not last long.
    When Ocon made his move, he already was 1 minute and 20 seconds behind the leader. In what was it, 30 laps or so? That makes him 2.5 seconds a lap slower.
    Why on earth do you question that?
    And how long would it have taken MV to lap Ocon again? 1 lap or 2?
    That is why it is completely pointless to unlap in that situation, and that is why MV did not expect ocon to race him.
    And that is why it is so rare in F1, as there clearly are dominant cars and drivers who in 99,9% of the time lap you and drive away from you.

17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    No, common assault it not a felony; without more it is a misdemeanor. Simply stated, it is putting another person in fear of bodily harm.

Gachot's case has no relationship with Max's petulance. Gachot was involved in a street accident with a taxi driver, they got into an argument and Gachot blew a can of gas in the taxi man's face. That's not assault, it is battery and he was sentenced to six months prison time, serving two.

That said, I completely agree that thuggish conduct has no place in F1.

DF1 and william like this.
  18. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Racing incident with contributory factors on both sides. But Max had more to lose and did so by not having the situational awareness and just barging on. Why shouldn't Ocon have tried it? He was faster at that time. Brazil is a track that often has safety cars (40% of races I believe was the stat I saw). Had Ocon gotten by and then a safety car came out he would have made up a tremendous amount of time and position on those he was fighting.

375+, DF1, ATBNM3 and 1 other person like this.
  19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly and IMO Ocon was absolutely right - that punk Max needs to go cool off

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Thanks for putting me right.

21. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I kind of like the drama , takes away from the sterility of the sport at times . It isn't like they knifed each other , Max is still young and has to learn how to control his emotions , doesn't make it right but it is entertaining . Way too much is being made out of the situation .

stavura, JLF and tifosi12 like this.
  22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember the days when racing was dangerous and ...you know the rest.

All the greats had these fights: Piquet, Senna, MS. Why? Because they knew exactly that they were in control of the race and should have won if it wasn't for a stupid backmarker doing a stupid thing. This is what cost Gilles his life (plus some other circumstances, but it really was a lot of Mass' fault). Greats know when they are entitled to and when some noodlebrain prevents them from winning or even living. Had Gilles lived he would have punched Jochen in the chest, no doubt. Somebody on his way out of F1 and being a lap down should NEVER-EVER meddle with the race winner. Whether that's Max, Hamilton, Kimi or Seb, it doesn't matter.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill in our PC overly correct time. Max was pissed and he had every right to be. Ocon is a moron and soon forgotten in F1. Karma.

RobertJRB, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Agreed. It's absolutely pathetic that hockey still tolerates fights in the games - there is not a single other amateur or professional sporting game (obviously boxing, MMA not included) that tolerates that sort of behavior in the games. Amy players in other sports trying what is tolerated in hockey would be instantly thrown out of the game, and likely banned for a bunch of games or remainder of the season. The excuse that "emotions run high" is infantile - the players are grown men who should be able to control their emotions by the time they reach the big leagues, and if not, they should get sent back to the juniors or out altogether.

As for Max - I love his driving, but his attitude sucks big time (just like his Dad, unfortunately, it's easy to figure out where he gets it from). He didn't need to fight Ocon in that corner, it would have made zero difference to his racing - if he acknowledges that a driver is allowed to unlap themselves if they are quicker than the leader at a point in the race (as he acknowledged to Hamilton), then he should have the brains to understand that the driver being overtaken can't obstruct a move like that when Ocon was clearly quicker at that point.

Yes, and Senna/Irvine was embarrassing for Senna as well. Schumacher/Coulthard was an entirely different scenario, Schumacher was lapping Coulthard, Coulthard didn't know where Schumacher was going to go (if he saw him at all), Schumacher didn't know where Coulthard was, easily a 50/50 mistake. The attempt to punch up and his whiny "he was trying to kill me, waaaah" was embarrassing for Schumacher. The ones who figure they're more important and entitled than the other guys who start the ***** slapping and handbag slinging always come off looking worse.

F2003-GA and william like this.
  24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #1175 kizdan, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    In racing, faster cars try to pass the slower cars. It happens in real time. It doesn't matter if the slower car has tires on it that still need to get up to temperature. It doesn't matter if the slower car averaged 5 seconds per lap quicker in preceding laps. None of that matters.

What did you expect Ocon to do? Slow down until Max is able to go quicker? I mean, really??? I can just imagine the radio exchange........."I am quickly catching Max......" "well, hold on there, your tires will wear quicker, so just slow down until that happens." Or, "Max has averaged 2.5 seconds on you over preceding laps, so there's no point passing him........just slow down and relax." Or, "Max is just cruising to the end, so slow down unless Max decides to pick up his pace"..........

Max has a team that monitors everything that is going on on the track. They would have seen Ocon catching Max, and informed him of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they did inform Max, but he didn't bother to pay attention to it because he is so full of himself.

Entitled? That's your problem right there. And that is also Max's problem.

ATBNM3, F2003-GA and william like this.