LIon Air 737 Max 8 Crash in Indonesia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

LIon Air 737 Max 8 Crash in Indonesia

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The air data system feeds inputs to a lot of systems, including the engines. Hopefully the heavily damaged black boxes can provide good info on what really happened. You would think with a 737, though, that the pilots should have had enough information to fly the aircraft safely, regardless of what was wrong. Cannot even have a hard over rudder any more.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, I thought about the rudder thing but that has been fixed. But a competent pilot , I think, would maintain smoother control of the airplane when he has lost inputs and try to work the problem. The wild excursions in speed and altitude don't make sense...but nowadays a lot of things don't make sense to me.

teak360 likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    This accident kind of reminds me of the 757 that went down with a foreign carrier when something similar seemed to happen. Aircraft flown out of control with primary instrument problems, even though it had fully functional back-up instruments.

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    You and me both.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    An educated guess by a high timer friend. Intermittent interruptions between computers and basic instruments and poor basic flying skills.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The comment should have been, " poor basic hand flying skills".

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Non-pilot here.....but this has to be perhaps the most important piece of info in the investigation ..... apparently it happened before ...... what were the details there? And they did not find anything wrong?
    BTW: was this the same aircrew as on the earlier flight?

8. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I’d agree with that.

Everything else at this stage is more like cheerleading for your favourite aircraft manufacturer.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The spoilers are fly by wire on the Max family, but yeah the rest is old fashion.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The fly by wire spoilers are a departure from the 777 if my memory serves me. I have mentioned it before when the powers above mandated that the 777 would have direct cable controls to the outboard spoilers and stab trim. It was almost 30 years ago when I was in 777 PD but I think that I'm still correct. I never did work on the 737 and only a little bit on the 757 but everything else was on the even numbered models after the 707. I just hope that they figure this thing out soon.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It was done to reduce weight and improve stopping distance.

http://www.b737.org.uk/max-spoilers.htm

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Another input from a reliable flyer friend. " Three clicks would have put the airplane in a hands-on flying mode. A/P, Auto throttle, and F/D." Then hopefully the crew would know how to fly the airplane.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Cockpit voice recorder black box signal has been lost. At least they recovered the flight data recorder last Thursday.

15. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    If it was a cockpit struggle, suicide, etc. will that be discernible from the flight data recorder alone?

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Could that be because of an intentional act?

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It would look very bad if they tried covering that up and it eventually came to light. The CVR certainly could answer that question. The last pings from it were yesterday so it's been a day now with nothing. Too bad metal detectors can't really tell accident debris from the CVR even if they know the area like in this case...

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    NBC News this morning says that the" airspeed indicators" were not working properly and caused problems on the previous flight. Already reading from the flight recorder.

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I know it's more difficult than asked, but why aren't the flight and cockpit recorders uploading in real time?

I'm pretty sure data is being sent to Rolls Royce for the engines like this.

The boxes should be used as backup incase something in the uploading fails. I'm sure it's been thought about.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  20. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Of the two boxes to recover....I'll speculate the Flight Data Recorder probably tells the story best especially if the crew was struggling with flying the plane.

I'm just haunted by the Air France flight 447 and Asiana flight 214.....both crashes the result of survivable malfunctions which the flight crews made deadly.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have been told that the CVR's are routinely shut off and/or erased by the flight crews.

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Avherald is reporting that the FDR initial readout shows that the Airspeed was unreliable for the 3 flights prior to the accident flight

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bf90724&opt=0

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Makes sense although it could help rule out foul play like hijacking (not just suicidal pilots). That could explain the erratic flight path, but wouldn't explain previous flight airspeed readout discrepancies.

24. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Heh, no not in the US anyway. Been doing this 20 years at four airlines, have never seen anyone do that or even heard of anyone doing that.
    It probably happens but it’s certainly not common or routine.

25. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    A lot of flight data is sent in real time to the company through ACARS.
    I know engine data is and they can even tell if our approach was unstable because the plane will tell on you.
    Don’t know if it’s by choice or if all airlines do it but the ACARS system on the newer jets can.