One-off Ferrari 328 Conciso | FerrariChat

One-off Ferrari 328 Conciso

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by johnhoughtaling, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    G. Pepper, anunakki and crinoid like this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Wow. Very very cool. I love this car and that you drive it.

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I see some Mythos in this car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
  5. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    The design makes sense and comes alive while driving it. Driving the car has the impression of a prototype or open wheel Grand Prix car. The grey wheels covers in your vision give an impression of open wheels, and the windscreen of a 1950s grand prix.

crinoid likes this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I just missed seeing this car at a local exotics get together. Very interesting.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Cool car. Who built it, whats the back story.

8. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    For some time it was thought that it was made by Benrd Mikalak but some new history has come to light through interviews in preparation for a profile by Jay Leno:

The Ferrari Conciso by Bacchelli & Villa.

The Ferrari Conciso is a one off Ferrari 328 concept car built for the Frankfurt and Geneva auto show by by the famed coachbilder, and official Ferrari body shop, Bacchelli & Villa.

The well known concept car was previously thought to be the complete work of german auto enthusiast and artist Benrd Mikalak. In researching the cars history it was recently discovered that Mikalak commissioned the famed Becchalli and Villa to create the car from concept drawings of the german auto enthusiast. The concept was for Becchalli to produce what Mikalak would later refer to as the “3D business card” of Mikalak as an auto designer. In so doing Mikalak’s commission would revive Becchalli work in the custom Ferrari coach building of the Ferrari Factory and racing privateers from the 1960s.

In 1958 Franco Bacchelli became the first employee of Piero Drogo. Bacchelli worked for Drogo. During the 1960s Drogo became famous for reclothing one off racing bodies for Ferrari racing cars. Drogo’s first big commission was to recloth a Ferrari 250 GT SWB for the father of the GTO, Giotto Bizzarrini, who left Ferrari with many top executives in what was referred to as the Palace Coup. The shop had beenhired by Count Volpi (owner of the Scuderia Serenissima racing team) to upgrade and improve upon the Ferrari sefac in a lighter more aero dynamic version to compete with the factory Ferrari 250 GTO. The car they produced would later be referred to as the Breadvan. It’s success on the racetrack sparked a renewed interest in the art of coachbuiding customers bodywork, a practice that was the norm in ore war motorsports. Working for Drogo, Bacchelli would continue to cloth racing cars for Count Volpi’s Scuderia Serenissima and Bizzarrini, and perfecting the art of re clothing many Ferrari racing cars in the 1960s. The practice was to remove the original Ferrari bodywork to the chassis, and redesign the body sleeker and lighter to give an edge in competition. Eventually this coachworks caught the eye of Ferrari and the ship would go on to produce many of Ferrari’s greatest 1960s Ferraris . During Bachelli tenure, the shop created arguable Ferrari’s greatest masterpiece, the P3 and P4. .

Around the time of Piero Drogo’s untimely death in a Ferrari, Bachelli continued his work, opening his own shop Bacchelli & Villa, with Scaglietti sculptor, Robert Villa. Shortly after opening his shop Bacchelli was visited by Scaglietti & Florini Gaetano the then Director of the Technical Assistance Department of Ferrari SPA to commission a one off Daytona for Gianni Agnelli. In 1976 Bacchelli & Villa became Ferrari’s official body Shop. Ferrari would later commission Bacchelli to converted 37 original 512 BB and transform the bodies to race at LeMans, now knows as the BB LM.

In 1993, while still working as Ferrari’s official body shop, a German enthusiast, Benrd Michaek, approached Bacchelli with a concept to revive his art of reclothing a Ferrari chassis, this time in a modern retro style evocative of the Ferrari prototypes Bacchelli helped produce in the 1960s.

The project started with a 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS, around which Franco Bacchelli clothed the open barchetta body with design cues of the Ferrari prototypes in the 1960s. Franco Bacchelli working with a wire frame in the same manner that created the earlier masterpieces.
    The result was a minimalistic design that was 800 pounds lighter than the original car, giving rise to the cars name Conciso. The car debuted at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1993 where it won second place in the concept category

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    “In 1958 Franco Bacchelli became the first employee of Piero Drogo. Bacchelli worked for Drogo. During the 1960s Drogo became famous for reclothing one off racing bodies for Ferrari racing cars. Drogo’s first big commission was to recloth a Ferrari 250 GT SWB for the father of the GTO, Giotto Bizzarrini, who left Ferrari with many top executives in what was referred to as the Palace Coup. The shop had beenhired by Count Volpi (owner of the Scuderia Serenissima racing team) to upgrade and improve upon the Ferrari sefac in a lighter more aero dynamic version to compete with the factory Ferrari 250 GTO. The car they produced would later be referred to as the Breadvan. It’s success on the racetrack sparked a renewed interest in the art of coachbuiding customers bodywork, a practice that was the norm in ore war motorsports. Working for Drogo, Bacchelli would continue to cloth racing cars for Count Volpi’s Scuderia Serenissima and Bizzarrini, and perfecting the art of re clothing many Ferrari racing cars in the 1960s. The practice was to remove the original Ferrari bodywork to the chassis, and redesign the body sleeker and lighter to give an edge in competition. Eventually this coachworks caught the eye of Ferrari and the ship would go on to produce many of Ferrari’s greatest 1960s Ferraris . During Bachelli tenure, the shop created arguable Ferrari’s greatest masterpiece, the P3 and P4. .

Around the time of Piero Drogo’s untimely death in a Ferrari, Bachelli continued his work, opening his own shop Bacchelli & Villa, with Scaglietti sculptor, Robert Villa. Shortly after opening his shop Bacchelli was visited by Scaglietti & Florini Gaetano the then Director of the Technical Assistance Department of Ferrari SPA to commission a one off Daytona for Gianni Agnelli. In 1976 Bacchelli & Villa became Ferrari’s official body Shop. Ferrari would later commission Bacchelli to converted 37 original 512 BB and transform the bodies to race at LeMans, now knows as the BB LM.

In 1993, while still working as Ferrari’s official body shop, a German enthusiast, Benrd Michaek, approached Bacchelli with a concept to revive his art of reclothing a Ferrari chassis, this time in a modern retro style evocative of the Ferrari prototypes Bacchelli helped produce in the 1960s”

Will you be applying for Classiche certification?

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The conciso looks like a blast!

New Dino should be something like this! Of course you can’t make the bare windscreen rollover compliant so it will inevitably fail fed standards.

Monza could have been similar but alas no windscreen...

Saw a report that an F1 driver got hit in the head by a pheasant at 105mph! Bon appétit!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #11 johnhoughtaling, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    So here is the Conciso on Jay Leno’s garage

In the video is my best friend Franco Valobra with whom I share the car along with our garage and the bulk of the collection.

After the screening Franco called me panicking that he completely flubs it bc Jay comments several times that Ferrari must of loved it because they allowed the Ferrari badges on it. He said he was too embarrassed to correct Jay and called me upset. After yelling at him for an hour he called the editor and told him what happened and we were told this part would be edited out . As you can see from the video it was not. It’s very disappointing as it takes away from an otherwise great job by Franco and Jay with the car.

Anyways for those Ferrari guys I know it was never officially endorsed. But I hope you enjoy anyway:

crinoid likes this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Thank you for clarifying. I really was wondering about those things. The car looks fantastic and so very fun. Thanks for sharing.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry I missed it when it was in San Antonio. Very interesting ride.

14. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for sharing the history of what looks to be a very fun ride

I enjoyed the video. Tell your friend Franco his knowledge of and passion for the car came across nicely. The car looked like it had been beautifully detailed, as well.

Out of curiosity, what is the arrangement with Jay regarding insurance, especially if he drives it?

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    ZFFWA20B000080962

Some auction history:
    Car was sold at the 2018 May Monaco auction by RM Sotheby's for €109.250
    The car failed to sell at Bonham's Chantilly auction in September 2017.
    The car was sold in March 1998 at the Brooks sale in Geneva, where it fetched approximately $52.000

16. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #16 johnhoughtaling, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    I know, Isnt it so awesome we got it for so cheap?!! We felt so lucky when the bidding stopped because we were prepared to go to 350 euros which would have landed the car at 400 plus in the US. We were pretty shocked. Maybe we were just the only two guys that liked it, which is great. I sure wish I was the only one that liked so many other cars! Or maybe it’s that no one knew it was actually made by Baccchelli and Villa, or maybe everyone was just looking at past prices. Ether way it’s one of our favorites in our collection.

71Satisfaction, BigTex and G. Pepper like this.
  17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Franco out did himself, with his passion and knowledge!
    Congrats to both of you....

johnhoughtaling likes this.
  18. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #19 johnhoughtaling, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    We just got her home after the spot. Now that she’s serviced and tuned I finally got drove her hard. Unbelievably fast. The car is untouched from the stock car except the body, so imagine an 89 328 with 800 lbs taken off. The lack of windscreen also exacerbates the feeling of speed. like a superbike. Anyway please enjoy the pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 and Boomhauer like this.
  19. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #20 johnhoughtaling, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    71Satisfaction, Boomhauer and crinoid like this.
  20. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    off topic but your house looks wonderful!

johnhoughtaling likes this.
  22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your house is ridiculous..and I mean that in a good way. Looks more like a castle..

23. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Thanks. It was built by WP Brown who became one of the wealthiest men in the world when he cornered the cotton market before the turn of the century. At 22k sq feet it’s smaller but similar in quality to the Biltmore that Vanderbilt built decades later. Incredibly historic place, one of those thing that you never feel like you own but rather take care of for the next generation.

Makes a nice back drop for the older cars! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login