I bought a high mile 2013 458 spider. Did i pay to much? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I bought a high mile 2013 458 spider. Did i pay to much?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Severson, Oct 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think that sounds like you got a deal, imagine the part out value of the car, that is in excellent condition now..... that dwarfs what you paid already. In addition, putting miles on her is now not the biggest issue, the salvage title is, and someone will always be out there looking for a crazy price on a 458 spider, and yours will be that crazy deal. Since the overall value of ferrari V8’s seem now to be pretty strong, I think you will be able to recoup most of your money even with some driving.... just not 20k a year I guess, as even a pre-you garage queen would tank if you did that.

You may have an almost depreciation free 458 there if you kept if five years! Can you really see the 458 at below 90-100k for an above average one? If you can’t, then yours is a steal for someone one day as it is for you now. I wouldn’t worry, I’ve bought plenty of story cars over the years, and never done worse than I have with clean ones, as long as your expectations are in check of course. In fact, I had a 458 I bought because the previous owner spent £40-50k ($65-75k) on a front end smash (bumper, tub, airbags, in fact similar to yours) and I saved £40k under retail. Sold it back to the dealers 18 months later and MADE £40k! Sometimes life gives you cherries too!

2. pshep138

pshep138 Formula 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Midwest
    The only other 458 I can remember changing hands for under $100k was a very rough yellow coupe, former rental car. If I remember right it was on its second motor, chassis had six digit mileage and they wanted $99k with a clean title. The interior was trashed.

Based on that car as a comparable, I'd say you did okay if your car is pretty clean.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    ...................................................................All the more reason to go w/a quality company like Haggarty that won't ever disapprove a legit claim ! agreed value, no deductible collector car policy is the only way to go IMHO ! my cars are even insured for more than they are worth !

daytona355 likes this.
  4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Were you able to see pics of the cars original damage?

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    good for you .. I would be curious t see pictures and hear your thoughts after you have had it for a while not many 76K mile Ferraris on this site...best of luck

daytona355 likes this.
  6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Newer cars with minor damage and the air bags deploy . Total! Seems the air bags are a big deal to repair, costly.

7. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Correct. Only Father Time will be able to opine w certainty.

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think it must be because they deem an impact that sets them off to have caused structural damage?, because I’ve never understood that.... seems to me you can set off the airbags with a well aimed and strong kick/hit, so the attitude towards it from repairers and insurers to me seems excessive

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Much truth to this!

10. roobarb

roobarb Rookie

May 15, 2014
    If you can afford it and enjoy it..thats the deal.

11. alfavirusnz

alfavirusnz Rookie

Feb 17, 2017
    Christchurch, New Ze
    Full Name:
    Richard Jones
    If the car has a decent service history you will be pleasantly surprised, these cars thrive on use and can be almost as reliable as your everyday driver. Mechanically everything is made of better than average materials and is tough. Electrical gremlins are really the only likely suspects (as per any "modern" car). Garage queens barely used are more likely to give trouble. Remember though even with best synthetic oils these cars need a sympathetic startup when cold and still require an unusually long warm up period before you can use them harder so no revving when cold etc- one of the charms of this unique make. Once thoroughly warmed up do take them to the red line occasionally - all Italian high performance cars need an "Italian tune up" once a week otherwise they tend to sulk and reduce performance.
    I would say enjoy the car and don`t worry, a well used and maintained car is usually less of a liability than one that has been hardly used.
    By the way air bags over here for many cars (the same components are used across several cars) are around $9000 NZ a unit so any car with several airbags blown is often a write off despite minor exterior damage.