Servicing a Portofino in Small US Markets | FerrariChat

Servicing a Portofino in Small US Markets

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by karmaman, Oct 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmaman

karmaman Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Karma Man
    I'm thinking about ordering a Portofino which would be my first Ferrari. I live in the Kansas City area and the closest Ferrari dealer is ~4 hrs away in St. Louis. We have a local shop (Black Horse Motor Werks) which specializes in Ferrari, but they're not an official dealer/shop for Ferrari. For a car like the Portofino - relatively low dollars vs other models - what are your thoughts on having the car serviced? Am I stupid to consider an unofficial shop? Should I plan on driving/shipping my car to St. Louis or Dallas? Anyone used the "ship for service" approach - is it a huge pain? Am I better off just settling for a lesser car (SL63, M6, Maserati GT, etc.) that can be serviced locally by official dealer/shop? Moving is not a feasible option at the time, but for a Ferrari, one that might be considered. Appreciate your thoughts.

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’m pretty much in the same boat you are except Denver and Dallas are nearly the same distance from me. On a new car and new platform like the portofino I personally would feel more comfortable with at least the first few services performed by a Ferrari dealer especially since Ferrari tends to inspect quite a bit during the service and have the proper computer to access all of the modules on the car.

I have spoken with Vince, I believe, at blackhorse and while he can perform many of the services and is highly knowlegable most of the cars he really works on are pre 2010. If I had an f430 or a 360 I’d not hesitate to send him my car but with the newer stuff being so complex it might be better for an f car dealer to service. I haven’t heard much about the service dept in St Louis but I have heard lots of good things about the service dept in Dallas.

You might start talking to some local transporters to find out what transport fees will be, especially if you do have a breakdown during the warranty period. At the end it is important to build some sort of relationship with the Ferrari dealer because at some point you will need them, it is a Ferrari. Good luck on whatever you do choose. One final thought that I’m not certain about is, if I recall there is a Maserati dealership in Kansas City. Might see if they can handle oil changes or if they even have the authorization in the computer they use as I thought it was the same computer as Ferrari ( just a rumor I have heard).

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Which Ferrari dealer is in St Louis?

At any rate, for a new Porto, which presumably comes with 7-year maintenance I would only use an authorized dealer. That's me.
    If it were me, I would ship it down here to Boardwalk, which is in the suburbs north of Dallas, pretty close to a straight shot down I-35.
    Better yet, make a mini-vacation out of it, and drive the Porto to Dallas, and use it as an excuse to compare Texas and KC BBQ!
    :) Good luck, and congrats on the new Porto.

T

AClark and azlin75 like this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately there is no authorized Ferrari dealer in st louis. Dallas would be your closest authorized dealer... boardwalk is an amazing place. I'd go for a portofino or a 488 and drive down to Dallas :).

AClark likes this.
  5. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Chicago is closer than Dallas, but only by about 60 miles

bobbyd and AClark like this.
  6. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    ...Well it depends on where you're driving from in Missouri. from KC Dallas is closer, from St Louis Chicago is closer...

AClark likes this.
  7. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had Google Mapped Kansas City to either Hinsdale, IL (Continental Ferrari) or Dallas, and Hinsdale came out closer, but just did it again, this time specifying Ferrari of Dallas; it's pretty much a wash (I guess it would also depend on if you're in Kansas or Missouri.) I can also HIGHLY recommend Continental's service department.

Attached Files:

8. karmaman

karmaman Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Karma Man
    I greatly appreciate everyone's input. And yes, I stand corrected - St. Louis is not an option but glad to know there are highly recommended options not too far away.

9. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    FWIW , you might consider reaching out to whichever dealer you would like to work with through your ownership.

For example, if you were to work with boardwalk, you may be able to negotiate transport cost on an annual basis for your services , and negotate it into the cost of the car

Some dealerships transport enough cars that you may be able to get a discount if they have a transporter coming your way anyway, makes it so the transporter does not go back empty

Just a thought

A

10. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    When I took delivery of my Portofino my dealer said that the roadside assistance covers towing to the nearest dealer. I said what if I’m several states away? He said the warranty will pay it. Of course that’s only in the case of a breakdown but it is something to consider. I would speak to the two closest dealers about transportation for the annual service, perhaps something could be negotiated.

11. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    My dealer has said that they will pick up and service any car bought from them so long as you are within 500 miles of the dealership.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sweet. Who's your dealer, if you don't mind me asking.
    T

13. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Ferrari Lake Forest. ((IL)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C