FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 21 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    completely agree.

F2003-GA likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [AMuS]

Mercedes crossweight massively out of balance during the race at Austin. Right side 50 kgs heavier than left, resulting in excessive tyre degradation & blistering.

[​IMG]

kraftwerk and G. Pepper like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

How do they explain that?
    Equalising corner weights is a basic tool in motor racing.
    They manage to do it in GT and prototypes where the driver is on one side.
    It's easier to achieve on a single seater where the driver sits in the middle.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I know where your going with this William. It's basic. How did Mercedes get 50kg wrong on one side of the car?????

My opinion, it's just a deflective statement regarding the rims and the covering up the holes in the rims with silicone as to why the W09 blistered its tires during the race. So I would take this inbalance of the car statement with a grain of salt from MB. The way the W09 has been eating its tires is the W09's achilles heel; always has been.

stavura, william, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Funny, I was thinking it might be the same thing. Always gotta read between the lines....

daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, Mercedes just try8ng to deflect the real reason so they can claim their wheel modifications aren’t illegal and aren’t the reason they have improved their performance, hoping the FIA will let them run it again.... cheating bastards as always

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup could most certainly be the case, seems to me to be in the realms of grey area rules, on one hand i do not like stifling innovation, but if the benefit of these holes are giving a aerodynamic advantage I assume that's why they have had to block them, otherwise it's a case of making up the rules as they go along.

It's a complex sport, for sure and I don't blame Merc for trying to solve their issues with the rear tyre wear, if this happened to give them an advantage in other areas well for sure Ferrari or whoever are right to question it, it's a game of cat and mouse game with the FIA , and all part of the game nothing new, if you ain't making waves you ain't trying hard enough.

thirteendog and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Does each team construct their own wheels? I thought OZ made the wheels for the teams.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As far as I understood from what was written above the FIA did not make them close the holes, Mercedes did it because they fear that a complaint of Ferrari might lead to a reprimand or penalty later on... That said even Mercedes is not certain that these rims are legal but the FIA does not do anything by now?
    This is like Lewis not going into the pits in Germany: Mercedes was not sure whether they will be punished and therefore made Bottas leave a 5 seconds gap to Lewis just in case but the FIA (the stewards) did not see any need for a punishment.
    For me it looks like the FIA turns a blind eye on Mercedes ever more than Mercedes themselves expects... Why??? How did Ferrari loose that much political power within just a decade? Is Todt doing this to be not suspected to give any advantage to his former employers?

And this 50 KG unbalace sounds really strange...I would be surprised if there is any unbalance as the car does not change that much over the season (so Mercedes should have enough experience), but 50 KG???

NEP, fil, stavura and 2 others like this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The 50kg is just an excuse to throw into the mix to make the FIA think it was never the holes that gave them performance, that they would have had it anyway but for this ridiculous claim. Smoke and mirrors..... they need to have confidence in their cheating, the FIA have turned a blind eye so often over the last five years, they should be used to getting away with everything, they are just making a mug out of themselves pretending with this now

fil likes this.
  11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Aerodynamic this that is FIA's catch-all rule that allows them to ban something on no real grounds. This rule does allow FIA to make crap up as they go along.

kraftwerk likes this.
  12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think maybe it's more tit for tat with Ferrari, in relation to the extra battery sensors, halo mirror winglets, oil burning ect, Merc are in the position to be able to take a hit and probably stopped using it before any other teams complained further, I don't think the FIA have got a clue whether it's legal or not, it's made up as they go along.

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes agreed, as far as the rules go you'd get more sense of direction from box of firecrackers.

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As far as I understood no moving aerodynamic parts are allowed...As far as I remember this was the reasoning RB was not allowed to do so....
    How can the FIA say now it might affect the aero but we do not think enough to ban it ("limited illegal")...
    It is the same with track limits... if you leave the track you should be punished (you would in Monaco by nature) but now we have this "having an advantage"-thing that leaves it to the preference of the stewards. Just look at the last race: Vettel and Sainz (?) went off track in turn one, both about the same amount, Vettel got nothing and Sainz 5 sec. Same last year with Max and Lewis...
    Mirrors are another good keyword: Ferraris mirror was banned because no aerodynamic parts are allowed at the mirror...Mercedes puts a second brace on the outside that is certainly also used as a bargeboard but it is allowed because Mercedes claims it is needed for the stability, as if the Mercedes carbon fibre is not stable to hold a mirror or a few grams....
    All these rules are waxy and the FIA decides whatever they want...

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    F1 is over regulated. There should be room for ingenuity.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The rules should be clearer... it is just as with taxes: tons of rules but just as many loopholes

fil, daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I watched the race on DVR after returning home from COTA. I don't recall any LH team radio indicating issues stemming from this sort of imbalance. Yeah, I'm still agreeing with it's all a deflection.

daytona355, fil and G. Pepper like this.
  18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I say the 110 imbalance to be total Mercedes smoke and mirrors BS. If just changing a "water pump" and the mechanics reassembled the car with items so far out of place that 110 pounds ended up on the right hand side of the car, does not add up. An F1 car is so tightly packaged that if one thing is out of place nothing else will fit. Also to maximize weight savings there is no extra wire length in a harness or hose length on the cooling system or hydraulic systems, just enough to get a part on or off.

Is it that difficult for Mercedes or HamBone to admit that they got there butts kicked in Austin??

NEP, fil and daytona355 like this.
  19. bcorner

bcorner Karting

Aug 25, 2017
    No commercials for me! I was on turn 15. Ended up a beautiful race day. Unlike Thursday-Saturday overcast and raining... Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NEP, G. Pepper and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They don’t want the holes to be found illegal and banned, as that would necessarily require penaties such as points deductions for the races the wheels were used in that configuration. They have willingly filled the holes and ‘owned up’ that they aren’t sure on the basis of ‘look guys, we aren’t sure, we think there might be a problem, so fairs fair, we won’t run the devices’ and in the background ‘and now you won’t ban it, and we can keep our results, guaranteeing ourselves another set of championships we didn’t deserve’

**** them

stavura, fil and G. Pepper like this.
  21. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    You're not thinking about this correctly. No weight (or part) was added or subtracted or physical moved around one from part of the car to another.