F430 - Wrong OBD Codes? P1090 | FerrariChat

F430 - Wrong OBD Codes? P1090

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steven D Hurley, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steven D Hurley

Aug 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven D Hurley
    My Check Engine Light came on so I scanned it with a basic tool. ELM 327 (ebay bluetooth unit with an app on my phone) and got the code P1090.

This is the description: P1090 Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Lean Bank 1

1. Am I using the right obd2 scanner tool? I can't find this code to match any of the specific Ferrari code list's from this forum.
    2. If this is the correct code/description, has anyone had this before? What was the solution? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    This code means that on the passenger side of the engine one or more of the cylinders is not getting enough fuel or too much air .. it can be a large vacuum leak, maf bad or bad fuel injection

More anaylsis is needed

Sis this just appear or was after an certain event ?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Steven D Hurley

Aug 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven D Hurley

It happened a few days ago after I put in a small bottle of octane booster, then drove it pretty hard. I'm not sure if that event is related or not.

I reset the CEL a few times, but it immediately pops back on after restarting the car.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    First start with basic visual of engine bay... Any loose /disconnected hoses / bellows ) connectors

Then start engine and try to listen for abnormal hissing /sucking noise .. also listen to area of exhaust header and see if got a large crack etc

Always can listen to one side vs the other

The next step is to get some reading from o2 sensors , maf sensor etc with a diag tool

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The code isn't quite right but is there the slightest chance that the gas cap is not correctly replaced as this is quite a common source of CEL 0n 430 ?

6. Steven D Hurley

Aug 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven D Hurley
    I have it at the "Ferrari Doctor" in San Francisco, so I will let you know what they come up with.

7. Steven D Hurley

Aug 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven D Hurley
    it ended up being the Mass Air Flow sensor. Got a new one, and it works perfectly.

f355spider likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Glad you got it sorted ...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk