FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 20 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 PIRELLI UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX: RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thank you for the pics. What an experience! I had the pleasure of being invited to drive in the drivers' parade. I'm at the bottom driving KMag in the '71.

Hey, that's me too (in your passenger seat)! That 456 was such a SMOOOOOOTH car. And sectioning off the 20 corner course, it gets better on the rhythm. You got into it then, time to repeat and get back into it? If so, we can always do a preview phone/screen sharing conference to help brief your next COTA venture.

Phil~, jazztrip, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Randy! Awesome, that was a great day, even if I was sightseeing. :)

I have a 360 manual now, which I'm currently sorting out to be track and show worthy. I still subscribe to your email list for Edge Addicts. Looking forward to getting the 360 out there.

NEP likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mercedes cheating? No, never, really? ****ing hell, so I was right all those weeks ago when I said they were cheating? Well, there you go..... must know what I’m talking about then.... I was beginning to wonder.

Course, the FIA don’t sanction against them until their Mercedes team is in an unassailable position, wouldn’t want to risk having to give the bunga bunga money back eh boys! So, asterix against this championship as well then for Elton..... hahahahahahaha. Exploding heads in 3....2........1. :)

cairns, NEP and nietoale1 like this.
  5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Problem is, if you weren't so hell bent on bad mouthing Lewis at every opportunity, there is a slight chance you might be taken seriously, so I'd go back to wondering ;)

william likes this.
  6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Well look what happens when I go and put in a 11 hour day at work today. After going through all theses post here is my 2 cents worth.

Yes Seb was dumb trying to fight Ricciardo on lap 1. But he did a wonderful job getting as far as he did on those rear tires that he cooked in that spin.

Mercedes pulled a Ferrari in terms of pit strategy,, There was no way in hell that those softs were going to last 45 laps.

Now in terms of HamBone. He pulled a Vettle and disconnected his brain not once but twice!!!! The first one was fighting with Kimi for first when he knew or at least his team should told him that Kimi needed to pit soon as his tires were trash at that point. Instead Ham fell into the trap and cooked his tires trying to make the pass. The Second was trying to make the pass on Max. If there was a gravel trap instead off the run off area when he went wide he might have tossed 15 points into the trash. instead of protecting the points he would have gained by staying put. Sunday Ham did not drive like a driver that practically have a 5th world championship in his back pocket. Also throwing the team under the bus for messing up the pit strategy is just pure HamBone at his best. F1 is a team effort.. Hey Ham you win as a team and lose as team.

As for the 2 cars DQ'ed I agree that the rules concerning fuel is quite restrictive, but they are the rules. Every other car on the grid has to live within these rules for several years now. Haas and Force Stroll rolled the dice and lost.

NEP, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I told you, by race time I was holding three unused tickets in my hand!

What a day...I will put my pictures upin the other thread, it was interesting weekend, what a result!

Love it....

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Your opinion means nothing to me buddy, as always. You rarely make any sense, and mostly only post snarky comments about people.

fil, nietoale1 and stavura like this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    stavura, daytona355, Schatten and 2 others like this.
  10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    But later he’ll say sh!et like “we win together and lose together” to appease criticism and idiots love him all over again...

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Honestly, I don't get it. Some of the things engineers think up are innovations, or "bend' the rules. If it gives an edge, other teams will follow suit. It will give that team a 1 or 2 race advantage until others adopt it. If not, tough. Why punish ingenuity and thinking outside the box?

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I’m far from a Hamilton fan but I really believe his judgment call to try to make that ambitious pass on Max was a good one.

And I wouldn’t label it as multiple attempts, rather it was a continuation of one single attempt that flowed through several consecutive turns...he had a leg up on max at one point but max planned ahead supremely and drove the car superbly which ultimately placed him on the clean line at the last turn.

Hamilton tried to hold his slight lead but being on the dirty line meant he just couldn’t keep it and while all this tangling was happening he was able to weigh in on risk-reward and understood he didn’t have to go balls-in risk and let Seb make any meaningful gain / narrow the gap on his title.

He ran out of road & went wide, and secured 3rd rather than risking it all and getting a dnf...he only had 1 shot to pull a move with almost no laps left, it was right then or never. He made a sensible attempt to secure the title, rather than dive bombing and making contact.

In all this context, that’s just hard to construe as a mistake man...

subirg, Mark(study), Sunracer and 3 others like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had only noticed the radiator ridges from the sketch I saw, so when people started talking about holes I was lost. Now I see that they have an aero device to expel the heat.

Clever, but against the rules (Questions about the fairness/unfairness of the rule notwithstanding).

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Understood and totally agree. I believe the permise to these rims though was they (rims) gave an "aerodynamic effect" by cooling with regards to the ribs on the outside part of the rim. That probably has some correlation with the holes (the ones covered up with silicone) inside and on the wheel hub. I mean really, the ribs on the outside of the rim are clearly visible to the naked eye as opposed to the inner most part of the wheel hub.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Those are not the same rims, i.e. the one on the right is not the left one with silicone.

cmos likes this.
  16. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would hope that LH, or any other driver on the grid, would be cognizant of what is outside the track limits and implications of going off at any particular point. LH took a low risk shot at passing Max.

ricksb likes this.
  17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You have to be cautious when you try to pass Max!

Mark(study), 375+ and R2112 like this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It was telling that plugging those holes brought back Mercedes' tire problems. So it was an effective solution. You'd think the FIA wouldn't mind if every team did it purely for safety's sake.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1000

That was Brenda Vernor's constant text, to Kimi last year!!!!

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Having watched enough races here, that's been played out before, two competitors "almost equal"...from 12 thru the infield its slow corners, but 18 thru 19 it's opened up in the curve and MotoGP riders are routinely 20' past the curbing as they race to T20.

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    It is interesting that the FIA declares that the holes in the wheel to be potentially a movable aero device that was outlawed when Red Bull tried the same thing before. Yet Mercedes gives it a try until Ferrari filed a protest, sounds like the tech inspector turned a blind eye to the matter instead of saying hold on you cannot did this it is banned.

As for cooling the tires this is just one of methods that have been tried. Look back to the 2000's when Ferrari was running a coolant gas to keep there softer Bridgestones alive. This practice was stopped after Spygate in 2007. I am shocked that nobody has tried to fill the hollow voids with a liquid coolant to keep tire temp under control.

The FIA rules have plenty of grey area to play with, most of the creative designers live in the grey;)

jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It was a very entertaining race hope we have more of them in the future :)

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Team making jokes about Ricciardo plight

OCTOBER 24, 2018

Members of the Red Bull team are making "jokes" about Daniel Ricciardo.

That is the news from Max Verstappen, the energy drink-owned team's continuing driver.

Ricciardo is switching to Renault's works team, but ironically he has been bearing the brunt of the problems with the French manufacturer's customer engine at Red Bull lately.

"It's ironic that it always happens on his car," team boss Christian Horner is quoted by Auto Bild.

"I'm sure he'll have a few words with his future employer about it."

Verstappen revealed that after Ricciardo's latest Renault-related problem in Austin, the Australian was particularly furious.

"Daniel punched a hole in the wall between our rooms," he told the Dutch broadcaster Ziggo Sport.

"I think within the team there are secretly some jokes being made about it.

"But for the team it is just very bad. I know exactly how he feels, as I experienced it often enough last year," Verstappen added. "It's just bad."

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's exactly the reputation he wants

subirg, G. Pepper and Nortonious like this.