Liberty Media's new digital push has resulted in just $10 million in revenue | FerrariChat

Liberty Media's new digital push has resulted in just $10 million in revenue

Discussion in 'F1' started by TeamF1Jr, Oct 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Has anyone here tried the F1 live streaming service? I've subscribed to Moto GP for years and love it.

The Sky live broadcasts are pretty good, and ESPN covers them... well, okay but not great, which is why I haven't tried it yet.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Us poor sods in the UK already have to pay an annual license fee to have a TV, and as well we already pay for netflix/amazon etc. etc., the "digital bill" bill is high enough, so there is NO WAY I would ever pay to watch F1 an any of the current formats.

The only way I would pay, and I wouldn't be prepared to pay much per race £2-3 max, would be for considerable increase in content re.build up/technical development discussion and bring back the grid girls you PC correct bunch of wusses!

So if Liberty think I'm going to pay..again (I already pay for 1/2 live races through my TV licence fee) then they seriously do not understand their customers. (Customers as those that watch the adds, not customers as in their share holders!)

BigTex, Tackleberry and daytona355 like this.
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You have to pay to have a tv in the UK? That sucks.

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, £40 a quarter to own a tv, connected or not. Supposedly it’s supposed to be per tv someone told me, I only have fifteen TVs! Bet the tv police will be round the property now, I’ll just let my complaints department deal with them

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

NEP likes this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I cancelled the F1 Live Timing App because it was not actually providing live timing during the races and often had login problems:

Instead of rolling back to a previous version of Live Timing that actually worked during a race, they forged ahead by limiting Live Timing features. Funnily enough, I bought the damn thing for the live timing and not the multimedia/news component that they've been working so hard to make look pretty. The digital effort has been unsuccessful because they were so incompetent about rollouts and updates that broke the core features of their software.

If they can't get right what was already working just fine, then why the hell would I sign up for more Liberty Media digital services?

All the best,
    Andrew.

Jaguar36, of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, their stream service is blocked in many (if not all) the countries where they had sold the rights to a TV channel, leaving a quite reduced market for it, so they shouldn´t expect any miracles from live timing and a few youtube videos.

Sunracer likes this.
  9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Seems TV is still King.
    Kids watching content on their devices are easily distracted and swipe to a multiple of choices, especially when Hamilton is cruising along in the lead from pole for 60 repetitive laps.
    Maybe Max will bring in a younger audience keen to watch daring passes in a slower car

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry to hear that. It's a shame. I really wanted it to work out. Interesting times we live in: Moto GP is a much more interesting and well sorted out experience than F1.

I don't stream on mobile devices - my sixty year old eyes are not up to the task - so I'm wondering if the experience is any better on a desktop? Since Moto GP ditched Flash and went to HTML5, it has been magnificent.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I had the F1 Live Timing App way back when and it was actually faster/accurate than the televised stuff back then (stateside), esp when it came to radio messages and tire strategies.

I stopped using it after an update they made, where the radio messages became massively delayed and I could no longer choose to hear from multiple pitwalls, instead they just regurgitated what was broadcasted on the tele...so it sucked, and for how much you had to pay for it, it was plain stupid...I think it was 60 or 80 bucks at the time.

Cutting the cord is definitely the future, just look at Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, HBO etc. even all the main channel providers offer streaming options now as their primary platform. All my TVs are smartTVs so they are all part of the connected world we live in now...I rarely even use a remote now, I simply send a voice command to my google assistant and it plays whatever I tell it to, can be something from my library to anything on Netflix, it will even search/play YouTube clips.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had an issue before that too. Initially when moving from the UK to the States, I cancelled the F1 app before the season started but was billed for renewal anyway. I complained to Google and they reversed the charge, so F1 put a hold on my Google Play account that screwed up all my other subscriptions and meant that I had to start a completely fresh account to set up in the States instead of just migrating over.

We purchased the F1 app for this year with my wife's Apple Store. The live timing doesn't ****ing work, we cancelled it, and there's no refund to be given.

Really, the digital arm of F1 are not just incompetent, they're crooks.

All the best,
    Andrew.

of2worlds, G. Pepper and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ack. This is a pity.

14. Aclmin

Aclmin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    I’ve used F1tv all season on my phone to watch the races. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good. I really like the extended highlights they offer a couple of hours after Practice. I don’t have time to sit through all the practice seasons, and the highlights on YouTube are very brief.

Recently I have no sound if I watch through the app or chrome, works ok on safari.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No real surprise. They were really late to the game. Half efforts usually return poor profit.

16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    China, UK, Australia, most of Europe, Japan, Singapore and Russia don't have access to stream races from F1TV.

A lot of these digital licences are multi-year exclusives Bernie signed back in the day so it might be years before these countries have access to F1TV,

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It's per household, and it funds the BBC; TV, radio, internet, the lot. All commercial advert free.

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think of all the content they provide, I might watch the news.... apart from that, it’s mostly crap content! It’s been years since terrestrial tv had a decent must-see program on it

19. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Infrequently it does. BBC Planet Earth and related series, Top Gear pre 2016, lots of others. But true most are bad.

20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Top gear? Hardly unmissable recently! But yep, I forgot the planet earth stuff. Dramas and comedies though are all copies of old stuff, or piss-poor rubbish likely to appeal to such a marginal proportion of the country it’s almost criminal. They’ve even feminised dr who now, and since they’ve got rid of Jenna Coleman, the best looking companion since Jo Grant in the 70’s. guess that’ll be cancelled by the end of the season

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I will have to agree with one thing, they are losing the plot, and not EVERYONE is a ****ing hipster!!

I sat in an Apple store the other day, and because I did not make "an appointment for service, in the cloud" they ignored me while I charged my phone, probably 30 minutes, then LEFT to buy Apple products from another vendor!

Also, tech wonks look busy all day, but ....sorry...they make crap and no one can make a roll out deadline with a workable product.
    Technology is there, but the "we can do it" that took us to the moon and back seems "mostly missing" from the modern youth today.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch the NFL "package" model, they have made that so expensive, that the Sports Bars are making bank buying it and putting it up.

Hard to watch F1 that way because of the time zones around the world.....
    I really wish they would sort it out, but I want to watch live, and on a big screen.

Sunracer likes this.
  23. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Jo Grant... now that takes me back! But IMHO the BBC still produces great shows (eg The Thick of It) and brilliant documentaries with some regularity.

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #24 Jack-the-lad, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2018
    • Do not circumvent the profanity filter
    When they go 100% streaming I'll be going 100% not watching.......Bunch of ****s running F1. At least Bernie understood the sport as well as the business.

25. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Well, when they announced the program, I was excited, then disappointed it wasn't available in the Philippines. Guess I dodged a bullet. F1 is the only reason I have cable here. Wishing for the day you can easily buy single events, shows etc as you wish.