Anyone else mow their own yard? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone else mow their own yard?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by piratepress, Jun 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yowza! That's seems like a lot, but if is frees you up to spend 3 hours driving the NSX or something enjoyable, might be worth it.

The wife pays $25 - plus throws in a couple of bottles of Gatorade. Of course, our front yard is pretty small, 40 x 40 ft as a wild a$$ guess. Mowing and edging, two guys are probably done in half hour (they do our neighbors yard at the same time, so that's a guess on my part).

Happily, it's been hot and dry, so the grass in the back yard - which is my bailiwick - is more or less dormant for the bits in the shade. The parts that get direct sunlight are turning into hay. Fine by me.

T

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow that rate would be crazy. That is better than what pediatricians make...

If I ever get a yard again, I'm going with Zoysia Tenuifolia (no mow) or just building in the woods and have no lawn...

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My guys charge $35 hr. This in Fairfield county, Ct. Im sure some are more but.....

That said i do most everything, in fact thank goodness for headlights on the tractor....just finished few minutes ago.

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    The industry has become addicted to less expensive foreign labor, but the H2b visa program is a mess. Companies here are poaching each others labor and paying crazy labor rates in the process. A laborer that may have cost us $12.00 an hr. last year is anywhere from 15-$18 this year.

Auto mowers are starting to gain traction, but they are still too expensive for commercial applications - in our case, at least. Sooner or later they'll replace laborers pushing 21" mowers.

I installed a Husqvarna Auto-Mower at my house last year and it did a nice job. My yard is too big for the husky to handle all of it, and I'd rather cut grass than run on the dreadmill, so I'm cutting it myself this year with a 60" walk behind.

5. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm having a guy do my landscaping..... I hate doing that part. But the lawn itself, I like doing it. Sit back and steer my little tractor. Can drink beer while doing it.

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Shall be selling my 36” ExMark Metro w/Accelerator catcher and Proslide this week. An employee that services a neighbor has been wanting me to sell it to him for his side work for a couple years now. I’ll use an Ariens Zoom 34 and Husq 22” awd in its place. I know I will miss it big time come fall leaf drop, but I have too much equipment.

7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'm blessed...

We have about an acre. I do the big stuff... tree cutting, shrub trimming, etc as needed.

My wife doesn't mind doing it, so she mows and weed-whacks the fenced back yard around the pool and deck.

The neighbor cuts his acre, and mows our front / side yards at the same time. I keep a fuel can outside so he can fill his mower, but he rarely does. He has a Bad Boy zero-turn, with about a 52" deck, and enjoys mowing. He says he finds it relaxing. :)

Sometimes, if the neighbor is busy, I'll grab his mower to do both yards. I think I did that three or four times last year, but haven't done that once in 2018.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I usually did in the past. Let it go too far this spring so called a local landscaping place to come out.

They then started coming out every Thursday, cutting the grass and clearing the driveway. After 6 months I still haven't got a bill. Called them several times, no one answers but I leave messages saying hey I never got a bill. Still nothing.

So, I guess I would do it if they stop coming out one day :D

wax likes this.
  9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    tomc likes this.
  10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awesome. I agree with therapy, exercise and do it yourself. I live in a 3 family condo and started 12 years ago with a push reel style mower. All I could afford. I renovated the lawns myself. Back was atrocious. Numerous phases of patchmaster where required. Crabgrass preventer and other Scotts products. We upgraded to a battery Electric from Craftsman and never looked back. Our lots in old Boston suburb are very narrow almost shotgun. Front yard on retaining wall is a postage stamp. Just did 3 of the 4 yesterday after raking and dead heading the roses. It's kinda competitive in the Air Force and that's where I picked it up as well as doing it at home when I was a kid. More gas and parts money. Got to do the ball joints next year.

11. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thrilled I've only got one more mow and some landscaping to do until next March/April. :D

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You should add this to the "stuff people say to ferrari owners" thread.

sjd

13. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I have always mowed my own grass. I built most of my house, so to me it's just natural to maintain it. I have a hard time watching people do what I can do myself. Luckily one of my top clients is a large landscaping company so I do have a back up if need be. I can't sit still, so any chance I have to drive something and think up crazy car ideas to drive my wife nuts, I do it !

Ak Jim likes this.
  14. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Mowing is therapeutic........so many occupations and efforts seem never-ending (i.e. "my work is never done"). Upon knocking out my one acre with some 80 pines and spruces, and cleaning up my Walker MB joy-stick rider to put away for next time, I get a nice sense of satisfaction of the job being done. Done right, and I completed it.