'88 Mondial- Multiple warning lights | FerrariChat

'88 Mondial- Multiple warning lights

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Johno_888, Oct 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johno_888

Johno_888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2018
    Cambridge Ontario
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Stremi
    This year I purchased a 1988 Mondial cabriolet 3.2 and I'm therefore new to the forum. Recently, I started having warning light issues. When I put the car in reverse, the slow down, seat belt and the brake failure warning lights all come on at the same time in the dash. The lights usually go out 5-10 seconds after I take it out of reverse. To add to this, the reverse lights no longer work. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Sounds like a power supply problem, see if you can disconnect the reverse light switch and see if the other lights stay off when you put it in reverse. Sounds like a fault on the reverse switch.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Or some binding/straining of a wire bundle. Either in the clutch pedal pivot area or down in the center console where the shifter is. Sorry, I don't have my wiring diagrams with me at the moment...

4. Johno_888

Johno_888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2018
    Cambridge Ontario
    Full Name:
    Johnathan Stremi
    Thank you for your suggestions. Last night I started the car and waited for the warning lights to turn off. I then used a screw driver to push on the reverse light switch and all three lights turned on again. I then waited for them to go out and disconnected the slowdown light thermocouple to simulate a slow down condition, again all 3 lights came on. Could this be a faulty board?

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    There is a secondary electrical board underneath a metal panel under the carpet in the upper part of the passenger footwell. Might take a look in there, unplug and replug in the various relays and connectors. I know for example the brake warning and seatbelt relays are in there. The slowdown light control is in another secondary board in the left side of the trunk, you have to remove some small screws and peel back the carpeting to take a look. Would first undo various connectors, clean with electrical cleaner and dab on a bit of Deoxit, and put pack together before doing anything further. Something may have just been jostled or vibrated loose.

The reverse switch does look suspect, as one would think it would still actuatre the reverse lights.

There is a "key activated services" relay in the main fuse box, might be the one that links some of these lights together? Might also remove the relay or swap it with one of the same type and see what happens.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have a wiring diagram book so can send you a copy if u drop me an e mail address