Porosity Oil Leak in Block | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porosity Oil Leak in Block

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    They said aluminum can occasionally have weak points( can’t remember their exact words, but something like that). It very well could have been caused by the Indy shop that attempted the engine out service. They removed the engine from the top not knowing what they were doing ( and me not knowing the correct way being a new owner) and could have banged the block on something.

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Full disclosure. FOA did try the repair from the outside. The aluminum weld did not stop the leak after the car was running. The pressure was too much. Going at it from the inside was the correct way to go. I’ve put about 2k miles on it since and no leaks.

I read several posts across the internet where iron blocks were repaired with JB weld. Aluminum not the same. I’m thinking two different metals expand and contract differently and won’t hold.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks for the info...
    I wish I could shout it from the mountain tops (and roof tops), to all new owners, "Do not take your Ferrari to a shop that does not work on Ferraris!"

BTW, when most people here on FerrariChat mention "Indy" or "Indie" they're usually referring to experienced Ferrari repair shops other than the Dealer.

Hope your weekend includes driving your 348. :)

4. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks, I’ll remember the indie reference. This was definitely not an experienced shop( though they told me they were).

5. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Was the $9K to redo the whole engine including major service, or just to repair the leaking crack?

6. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just to repair the leak. They had to tear down the bottom of the engine.