Parts of my grille are missing, 612 | FerrariChat

Parts of my grille are missing, 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360Marnix, Jul 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Hi There,

Last weekend I saw that some vertical parts of my radiator grille are missing. In the parts cataloque I can not find these parts. Only a complete new grille. When I see pictures of 612's, there are more grilles which are missing these parts.

Does someone have a solution for this? Are there replacement parts available?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    This seems to be a regular occurrence in 612's and when I first started looking for a car, there were an UNBELIEVABLE number of them missing grille elements. I'm very fortunate not to have experienced that myself but when I would point it out and raise the subject with salespersons, the obvious suggestion was to source a replacement grille but also frequently suggested was to source a 60d nail, cut it to size, and epoxy it in place. I think that suggestion could probably be improved upon by using visually appropriate polished rod stock but I certainly think it's worth trying before springing for the whole grille assembly.

3. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Thanks for the answer. Because there are indeed so many 612's with this issue, I hope someone has a nice DIY solution, or knows the way to replacement parts

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

4. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Short of replacing them, could you make it less noticeable by moving a couple others around so it is symmetrical and the missing ones are in a less obvious position? (Not sure if all verticle trim pieces are same length)

The rod stock idea seems suitable.

Would this work?
    http://cowlesproducts.com/oldcontent/wp/protektotrim/chrome-trim/

5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    There are previous threads on this issue. I faced it on my 612. The solution for me was to jump on Amazon and buy some hollow aluminum tubing. I bought some very low diameter tubing and then some like 1/4 diameter. I squeezed the smaller diameter stuff inside the larger diameter. Leaving like a 1/8" piece within the 1/'4 piece that then left a flattened piece to extend back into the grill and glued it in place. Came out perfect. Took like 15 minutes and $10. Cut to length.

Shiva_Austria, Makuono and 360Marnix like this.
  6. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Sounds like a solution! Thanks!

7. Kevin Borley

Kevin Borley Rookie

Oct 19, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin Borley
    Hi

Yes I have had the exact same problem on my 599. I had some small plastic tubing which matched the diameter of the real thing so I cut them to length painted them with Silver Humbrol enamel and glued them in place. If you can get hold of the right sized alloy tube as suggested above then this would probably be better.

360Marnix likes this.
  8. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    F3RN4ND0 and Shiva_Austria like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The replacements match perfectly, looks great.

Did you replace even the ones that were still intact or just the ones that were missing?

10. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Thanks! I only replaced the missing ones. I hope they stay where the should.

Shiva_Austria likes this.
  11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was thinking that you replaced all of them because they match so perfectly. I am only missing one (so far), but I'm going to see where I can get those aluminum tubes.

BTW, is that Blu Scotia?

12. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Thanks!
    It is Blu Tour de France

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

13. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    i have the same problem on my 612. I miss two ...

@360Marnix: Could you give us the material discribtion?

14. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I don't have a material discription, but I can send you some! PM me for details. I live in the Netherlands so it is not expensive to send it by post.

15. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I bought another grill and keep it for spare parts.

You guys are smarter than me