Maranellos are disappearing | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Maranellos are disappearing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by intrepidcva11, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Unfortunately 21k is getting close to medium/high mileage for Ferraris...It's a shame really.

2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I don't mind, my thing is I have 2 parking spaces and I love my 575, but if pressed I prefer to keep my SLR. My new 812 arrives in 3 weeks, I was contemplating trading in my 575 on it, but now we'll see I think im going to leave the 575 with a friend now.

F456M and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    To be honest I think you're not going to drive the 575 much after getting the 812. It's in a different league altogether!

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here's a good price point. A very nice, Rosso Corsa/Beige 550, UK RHD, very good history (according to the auction house), seemingly in excellent condition, 23,000 miles sold this weekend for £100,800 in the UK.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2018-09-22/cars/ref-52-1998-ferrari-550-maranello/

In late 2014, when I was looking for my 550, that car would have been advertised for £90k and would have sold for a little less. A year earlier, it would have been advertised for less than £50k.

So, £100k is now the price for a good, but not super low miles 'collector' 550, here in the UK. Despite the political headwinds.

5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The reserve was higher than the final bid of £90K (before commission) so that must have sold after the bid was put to the seller.

That number is in line with what The Ferrari Centre in Maidstone have been selling good 550's for. There's still definitely a preference for manuals which is keeping the price of all 550's buoyant. It's the 575 F1's that seem to be the unloved model at present.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have been counting the days til your 812 arrives - by the reckoning above, it should be now - because I wonder what you'll think of all your other cars when it arrives..?

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    There is a 2004 575 Maranello on Bring a Trailer, has 11,000 miles on it.
    NO reserve with one day left, current bid is $75,000 ........could be very interesting at no reserve.
    Nero Daytona/tan timing belt replaced this year.

8. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Several Ferraris and others have been put on BaT by dealers. I'm thinking they're tired of the car sitting on their lot and it's time to get it sold.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There was a La Ferrari on BAT recently. Did not sell due to not reaching reserve, even though nearly $3.5M was bid.

10. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    550 aren’t disappearing, there just not selling. See a lot of sellers but Don’t see any buyers.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I know of a few 550s that have sold here recently, where seller's expectations have been realistic. They are all around the price point in post 829 above. The ones that stick around over here are either no good, or too expensive, or both.

The speculators have largely gone, so the honest price point for a good (but not super low miles) RHD 550 here these days is around the £100k mark, give or take a few thousand. I'm not sure if the super low miles cars are selling as they come with a big premium.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #837 Graz, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    I think time will be the factor on where the Maranello market is going. Ten years ago one could buy a Dino for around 45-49K. Look at where they are now. Either way it’s all good. Current Maranello owners can enjoy their rides now (if they don’t need to sell) and wait it out.

All the talk and posturing mean nothing. When real buyers want a car they’ll pay for it. And every car has a different look and history. Like it or not sometimes you have to pay a little more for a well sorted car. The old adage “you get what you pay for” really applies.

F456M likes this.
  13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Apples to oranges. Comparing a Dino from 1972 which has become an iconic car due to it being the first of the mid-engine Ferrari line with a car from 1998 is irrelevant. The Dino was just an old car while it waited to become the “first” of a significant line of cars. It wasn’t the “first” of anything significant until 40 years had passed. It took 40 years of producing great mid-engine Ferraris for the Dino to be seen as relevant. It’s also iconically beautiful.
    I think the Marranelllos will be significant as the “first” of the modern front end V12, but another 20 years must pass.

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Not really apples to oranges. As I said in my first sentence and you agree "time" will be the factor. If its 20 years so be it.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    These cars are not investments. Buy em and drive em.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ajyiii, srslusso, root and 4 others like this.
  16. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon

Agree. My 550 was a daily driver to work and back for more than 8 years. Now I have shipped it to the UK and it will do big Europe runs for fun
    Like someone on here says not driving em is like not making love to your girlfriend so that she’s more attractive to her next boyfriend

17. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    True. Or like Jerry Seinfeld said “Not driving your cars is like having a fish tank and not looking at the fish.”

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  19. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #845 root, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    This implies that making love to one's girlfriend makes her less attractive which I must object to in the strongest terms. I believe the effect is diametrically opposite, and so is the effect of driving the car.

Tim Riley and RKZ841 like this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha that was a good one! I agree there as no reason to leave these cars in a garage! If left somewhere, it should be in your living room!

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok, so lets compare apples to bananas instead! What is quite interesting would be to see in a longer perspective, which car of the 550 Maranello, 550 Barchetta, 575M Maranello and 575M Superamerica that will be a GOOD alternative when we think of low price now («affordable»), with availibility (mange in more that just a few numbers), and with a good increase ik value... people say here that rarity makes the prices go up. I don’t disagree ok that. But see the Porsche 911 market.... These have climbed with a steady pace and don’t seem to stop. And they are build in much greater numbers. I had a look at this 964 (965?) Turbo. I car I really like because it is drivable and modern enough and still a classic with very analogue feel. But still 125 hp less than a 550, no V12, no Pininfarina styling, no body build by Carrozzeria Scaglietti, no 320 kph. top speed, no open gated shifter plate. No chrome horse on the trunk / boot lid. What would you choose? If prices were irrelevant, and money would be no object, I would pay twice the money for the 550 over a 964 Turbo!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I would not compare Porsche market to anything.
    There are endles rows of Porsches in warehouses, dealer show rooms and hidden away all over world, just waiting. In Germany even your local Toyota dealers got five of those for "investment".

RKZ841 likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I agree although Erik the model you were looking at is the 964 3.6 turbo which is more of a cult item than the 3.3 and much rarer, 1437 made.

You could buy 575 manual and a 996 turbo for the price of one of those which does seem odd.

F456M likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes. But that Porsche is just a fast VW Beetle!

mikael82 and greg246 like this.