Rebuild of 400I Chassis 40877 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Rebuild of 400I Chassis 40877

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Al Campbell, Dec 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Watching with interest Al, I have the same job to do soon.

2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    More tool manufacture. :)
    This time it's an AV508 for removing the valves.
    I also decided to knock up a plug in Freecad to fit in the cylinder head bowl & support the valves at the correct 23 degree's while removing the collet.
    The plug was printed on my cheap 3D printer and it worked perfectly.

Has anyone found a cheaper supplier for the exhaust valves?

Cheers,
    Al

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Superformance.co.uk valves are reasonably cheap (~30GBP each), but the OEM valve are filled with sodium hence the hefty price. Superformance does also sell the valve shim removal tool.

4. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for the reply.
    Do you know if the Superformance ones are sodium filled or of a supplier that does sodium free ones as I've read the sodium ones can be a timebomb.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #105 raemin, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Sodium valves are bombs! Bad timing on my engine, and the bent valve lost its sodium in the combustion chamber... The cylinder instantaneously went into million of pieces (the biggest part left was 5x5mm!). Sodium however does allow for better cooling of the cylinder head which is very thin. The Sodium valve are well made: there is a cavity within the valve that is filled with "liquid" sodium. Judging by the shape of the broken ones in my block, I presume these could have last for quite a while, and the failure was due to to the cylinder hitting the valve. The car is close to 80.000km and the wear of the valve was quite minimal, The Valve stem oil seals were worn out, so I suspect the smoke we occasionally see on these cars is more related to the seal than the valves.

Supeformance valves are 8 time cheaper than OEM, but no sodium. Ferrari does sell OEM valves, this is what my brother has chosen for his car. I suspect these valves are old stock. Did not find any other supplier of sodium filled valves.

As far as I am concerned, no more sodium: the increased temperature can be compensated with cold spark plug and an inline (additional) electric water pump. Maybe also that derlin valve seal would allow to leak some more oil on the valve and provide a bit more of cooling (some turbo guys do not use seal at all for this reason).

Al Campbell likes this.
  6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Amending my previous post: Carobu do sell sodium valves. These are marginally cheaper than OEM (~200USD each vs 250€), but still 5 times more expensive than stainless steal valves.

While the motor is out, changing the 12 exhaust valves is an additional 400GBP (the inlet valve do not have sodium). I already had to change all the valve for the left cylinder head, so dropping the remaining 6 exhaust valves is 200GBP : by Ferrari standard that's cheap peace of mind.

Al Campbell likes this.