The last analog cars versus today's offerings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The last analog cars versus today's offerings

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gmonsen, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I'm with you on that. Something more refined (ABS, a/c, airbags, traction control, etc) than a 308 but along the lines of it;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Today's cars are infinitely better than those built in the 80's or earlier. NO question. Faster, safer, better creature comfort, more reliable, etc. It's about the driving sensation you get.

Today's cars all seem very much alike to me when you putter around town at less than 40 mph (like most of the time you drive them). A 458 engine at 9 grand is simply amazing --- its also going 65 MPH when you shift into 2nd. That's the problem. Seriously -- who needs a car that goes 210 mph?

I'm not knocking today's cars. They are pretty darn awesome. The question is -- can't we get back something also that we have lost?

Themaven and Formula Uno like this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back when I had a Maranello, I used to go for a drive early Sunday morning. After warming up, I drive a car like a motorcycle. I give it gas and shift by ear. Not full throttle, but enough to get going. One morning as I shifted into third, I realized I was doing 90 mph. I hadn't even gotten out of my neighborhood, which had a speed limit of 35 mph. I felt like I was in total control, but in reality you're never in control doing 90 mph on public roads, not to mention neighborhood streets.

MrF355 and Formula Uno like this.
  4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ps. Make it a little bigger than a Miata.

Formula Uno likes this.
  5. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I made the mistake of focusing on work for a day and there are so many good replies here. Bottom line is that I think a lot of people feel the way I do. Modern sports cars are waaaay faster and more refined for sure. When I was much younger, just going fast in itself was a thrill. The sound of my old Jag or My 2800 CS as they accelerated was sweet. All that. There are some cars today that are close to that still, like the Alfa 4C. I am actually surprised that there is not some company that takes a new Ferrari or Porsche or Maserati and offers a 5 or 6 speed manual conversion. Or, the Alfa 4C... I'm not sure if you would need to screw around with the engine management system at all. And I think people would pay $20-XX,000 for the conversion. Might be a good little business. Might even grow into comverting more stuff back, like the steering.

I have been working toward my ideal garage, like many, I suppose. I can only have 6 cars, because that's how big my garage is. I have a Testarossa, an Rx7, a BMW E30 M3 as keepers. I think adding a 964 Porsche 2S and an Acura NSX fit in. A pretty good cross section of the best cars from the end of the analog period.

Also, like Mitch Alsup said, you can have a lot of fun in a light, low powered car. I had a 1964 MG Midget back in 1968 and it was an absolute blast to drive.

6. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Just discovered the Honda S660 which is a Kei car, and legal to import in Europe, though probably not in the US.

Its 11ft long, and 4ft 8" wide, has a three cylinder engine with a six speed manual available, its RWD and weighs 830kg. The picture makes it look bigger, but its tiny; the same size as a Suzuki Cappuccino.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

An Abarth 205a is exactly the same length, and just 2 inches slimmer. Rather than go bigger, I would like to see a modern Italian car along these lines. The Honda is very good value indeed, but the Italians have the heritage to make a tiny car with a more exotic drivetrain and charge for it. Imagine a one litre V12. I wonder would people buy it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I wouldn't agree with TexasForever on a a 4 cylinder engine. The A110 has because that is what Renault can make available. However, if BMW can make a charismatic 1.6 litre straight six for the GT motorbike, then it can be done.

7. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I am not going to argue that a small light car would be fun to drive. I agree with that. However, when you look at a value proposition..... will people pay a Ferrari premium for something like a Lotus/miata type of car? More cylinders might sound wicked, but making more cylinders is expensive.... even if they are small. This day in age I can see a turbo 4 or 6..... but now you are competing against Porsche...... will Ferrari make money on that? I do not know the answer. I think if Ferrari goes to a minimalist design they will need to sell lots of units in order to be profitable...... that means more factory space.... etc which now complicates other product lines. FCA already has Alfa..... that is the everyday minimalist Ferrari and the perfect product platform for such a car. It would be much easier to have a manual Alfa that meets the bill, rather than a manual minimalist Ferrari.

8. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, I imagine the customers would be similar in numbers to those will buy an MV Agusta F4 at 25% more than the Honda S660 above. Small numbers, and the SUV is the order of the day instead. I doubt Fiat would use Alfa for anything like this though.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Totally agree with u. The new cars are too accesible to me and feel video game ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #35 ryalex, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    As a new Alfa convert, I kind of agree. The 505hp V6TT they already have is amazing. In Europe you can get manual Quadrifoglios. If the 4C had that engine in manual, I'd probably get one today. At 2,465lbs, it would probably time-travel.

I was going to say that if Ferrari made a new, lightweight sports car for $150k I would get it. Of course, the dealer cars right now they want to sell in that range: 2010-12 458s.

11. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    The 4C is in many ways a perfect model for what Ferrari should offer as a new Dino. Just put in a a v6 like the original Dino in about a 2.7 liter size, manual 5-6 speed, no power steering, ABS that can be shut off, air conditioning as an option, and no handling aids of any kind. Given the common ownership and the cross polinization already going on, like the non-cross plane 4.7 ferrari built motors in the Maseratis, why shouldn't Ferrari re-badge an ever so slightly cosmetically altered 4C and stick a decent engine in there? I suppose one reason is that Ferrari doesn't have the good sense to offer a manual in its own cars, but, hey...

catdog, Texas Forever and MrF355 like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hit the nail on the head....
    I too am getting bored with the newer cars. Mclaren? Won’t even turn a slight bit to look at one, too tech-y.
    You are so right about all the electronic nannies saving poor drivers, making them look like heroes, especially on track. The first car that did this was the GTR, all the cool kids got them and set track records with their computer cars...boring.
    Everyone has different standards of raw or visceral or analogue. But essentially it’s the car that evokes emotion.
    For me the gold standard is a Lotus, raced them for many years and daily drove them. Pure to Me.
    But for today’s era and where my collection would be going would be:
    NA
    Single clutch
    (Manual)
    Every time a manufacturer went turbo, I left them as a customer (BMW M series, Ferrari, etc.). Holding on to Lambo as last NA, but.......
    Finally, Sound. I can’t tell you how musical a symphonic exhaust note puts tremors in my veins.
    Like you, going backwards in time in my collection.
    Here is a dream collection of mine followed by what I loved in exhaust notes.

Sent from my 16M

Flash G and davidoloan like this.
  13. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Buy a Lotus. It'll even top out at 150.

;)

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sadly, I don’t fit very well. I can get in, but it’s snug.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I consider my 1980 308 GTSi to be an analog car because the FI is mechanical, not electronic, and it has no nannies. It was a bucket list car, but I'm not really thrilled with the performance. It's a hoot to drive, but very slow by today's standards. I'm glad I bought it, though, because it lead me to the 360 manual. That car has the perfect balance to me: ABS, traction control, air bag, and steering assist (The 308 is a chore in parking lots), but it still has a raw feel and the manual. I just have to have a manual in a sports car. Paddles are okay for a GT.

16. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Everyone seems to agree with what Ferrari should introduce as a further model in their line up but you all know what is coming instead ... the FUV or whatever it is called. The new generation does not want what we grew up with and learned to love. Everything now is just too damn clinical in how the cars behave. Each brand is now becoming too similar in the driving sensation. If you blindfolded a non car person they would not know whether they were in a Ferrari, Mclaren or Lambo and that would probably also apply to some petrolheads as well.

17. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Question - If Alfa made your (not talking to anyone in specific) perfect car, would you not buy it, because it didn’t have the prancing horse on the hood?

Or

Would you buy a manual 4c with a Ferrari badge that cost an extra $50k?

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I get your frustration. I am not 70 but remember the 70s and 80s well. No stiching, no air side bags, no autoshift, no gazillion radars all over the place and airplanes and drones checking your speed or private car hired by the gov to nail you for a 3 km/h over (for the euro guys)
    times have changed. What I have to say is in all of this I do like the double clutch F1 used in manual mode. Mc Laren / PDK porsche are just superior to the manual stick. For the rest, heated seat, burgmeister and even the butt ice cooling options are just what younger people want.

As much as you may look down upon the comfort, it is gonna get worst. I see young guys swearing for Teslas. I call them the "whoosh" cars. You think the new exotics cars are too easy? Try a Tesla!. Some just are all excited about the 0-60 time. They think it is the greatest car experience ever. Me? if I just want the 0-60 thrill, I take the highest rollercoaster. I stopped arguing about this. They are things one cannot understand if he has never tried them.

thorn and Texas Forever like this.
  19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My nephew's GF had a Tesla and took me for a ride. I had to admit the 0-OMG acceleration was pretty thrilling. Likely the fastest I've ever experienced in a car. I really wasn't expecting that much g-force on takeoff. Impressive for sure.

But the rest of it didn't do anything for me at all. The interior reminded me of GM in the 90s, plus that computer monitor in the middle of the dash - Nothing really refined about it.

They've since sold it. She got bored with it and now has some random BMW. My Ferrari is slower than her Tesla, but I'm never bored with it.

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My Analog 1987 TR: A/C, mechanical fuel injection, electronic ignition, single lug wheel nuts. What it does not have: ABS, power steering, paddle shift, cruise control, check engine light, power seats. Takes a little muscle to drive!

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  21. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I have the same car and love it for the same reasons. Hopped it up a bit to keep up with today's supercars (in a straight line anyway).

And, in answer to Metastable's question... I might not pay $50,000 more, but probably would pay $25-40,000 more.

22. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    1979 - my 308GTS has been put around November build...:D

TheMayor likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would buy a manual 4c with a Fiat badge if it had a naturally aspirated V6 or V8 with 400hp.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And the cabin a little bigger...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #50 2cam, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    I haven't owned any of the recent(ish) super cars but have driven several (430, 458, Huracan, and several GT3s) at local track events over the last few years. They were all fantastic (especially the GT3s!). However, they just don't do that much for me. I would've had more fun at each of the events with one of my air-cooled 911s. I'm not a brand-loyalist and appreciate cars from many different manufacturers. The common theme throughout all of the cars that I like is that they're simple, fun and engaging. To that end, I just don't enjoy the newer cars as much. I'm not as concerned about cutting-edge electronics and ultimate capabilities as much as I am spending enjoyable, engaged driving time behind the wheel. Honestly, I could have fun and be perfectly happy with an old Volvo 122 or 544, a chrome bumper Spridget, an old Alfa Spider, or even a chrome bumper, manual trans C3 Corvette.

I recently purchased a Mondial 3.2 Coupe. It's a very engaging car to drive. You hear, feel, and smell it. It involves all of the senses and you have to be active in its operation. It has a radio. However, I'm not sure if it even works as I haven't bothered to turn it on. I get the same return on the time that I spend with my '86 Carrera. They're not fast by today's standards, nor do they have the handling abilities of modern performance machines, but they're both very rewarding cars to spend time with. They're perfect.

Although, they're not Italian, two cars that personify the simple, fun, analog (with just enough modern technology built in) driving experience for me are the Honda S2000 and the Lotus Elise. Both are bare-bones (especially the Elise!), engaging, and pure drivers' cars. Perhaps you could lump the Evora into this category as well for those that would like a bit more room.

2cam

gsfent, gmonsen and Texas Forever like this.