Judge's feedback from 2018 Annual FCA meet | FerrariChat

Judge's feedback from 2018 Annual FCA meet

Discussion in '206/246' started by er72, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    I have a few questions about my US 1974 Dino 246 GTS for the collective wisdom of FerrariChat. My car received Platinum award at the recent FCA meet. Today I received a scoring sheet which listed what the points were deducted for. Amongst the items:

1. 1 point deducted for: "right & left side fender flares are bridged". What does this mean? The car is original US "chairs and flares"
    2. 0.5 points deducted for "incorrect steering wheel". However, I am sure that my steering wheel is correct: it's just that 1974 cars had no holes in the steering wheel which is probably what confused the judge. How do I handle this: ignore? appeal? educate the judge?
    3. 0.5 points deducted for "modern stainless steel coolant header tank". Could someone please post a picture of what the "correct" coolant header tank is supposed to look like.

Thank you in advance
    Eugene

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Eugene here you go, your coolant header tank was originally made of steel, not brass as this early one…
    please post pictures of your steering wheel and flares…

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Thank you, Matthias. Here are the pictures of my tank, fenders (inside and outside) and steering wheel. Please tell me what went wrong.

Thanks
    Eugene

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I cannot comment on the fender flares but from the photos I think that the judges were correct in both the steering wheel (maybe a correct core but incorrectly trimmed) and coolant bottle. In addition there are a number of other small deductions I noticed in the photos that they missed so even if the flares are ok maybe the final score is ok. I'd be happy with the platinum.

5. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Thank you for your comments. Could you please post the pictures of correct steering wheel trim and coolant tank - I would like these corrected during the winter.

Thanks
    Eugene

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
  7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    On immediate inspection of the steering wheel:

- Leather is too thick and the wrong grain
    - The actual grip is too thick
    - Stitch pattern is wrong
    - Stitch colour is wrong
    - 6 o'clock seam is done wrong

Yes your steering wheel has the correct spokes but it has been re-covered with no consideration to originality other than it being black in colour,

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I do agree with this comment….

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Your coolant tank should be shaped like the one Matthias pictured. Luppi in Italy can get your steering fixed for a small fee. Be patient and improve your car as per the information given to you above by two of the most knowledgeable guys in the Ferrari community. Also do some searching on this site and buy Matthias compendium. This might get you closer to full points one day if that’s your ambition.

Best Peter

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Are there any expert steering wheel restoration companies?

Nearly every 70s / 80's / 90s restored wheel I see is too thick / fat, not just Ferrari.

11. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
  12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are those 308 window switches? Can't quite see them ...

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Matthias, are the two bolts that attach the header tank marked "FIAT 80" on the head of perhaps "FIAT 100" and in gold cad color?
    Thank you once again.

14. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Sergio Tavares likes this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What strikes me about your steering wheel is how flat the spokes are. The wheel should have some dish to it. Further to that the spokes appear too wide. Keep after it and you'll get the details sorted out!