380 mile Scud on Bring a Trailer | FerrariChat

380 mile Scud on Bring a Trailer

Discussion in '360/430' started by Matt Andrews, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I talked to the selling dealer. sounds like a really nice car. Its the spec I am looking for (Rosso Scuderia with gold wheels & stripe with Alcantara seats). While I bid, I'm not a player for a museum piece as I want to drive it, but will be interested to see what it sells for. He has owned it since beginning of the year.

Any guesses on what price it closes for?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-ferrari-430-scuderia-2/

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Close to 350 id think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AAron512

AAron512 Rookie

Jul 15, 2018
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    GTmc -They have some nice cars, albeit pricy. I looked at a couple gated 430’s but asking was north of $215k. However they were flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    I'm madly in love with it :D Looked at every pic and reviewed every comment (yea, saw you there mandrew, and good on you for popping a bid in there!).
    I'm gonna guess that it will likely reserve-not-met at about $243 K.

6. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    yeah. its the exact spec I would buy if I could order one from the used car factory. Except it needs about 9600 more miles for me to really be a player. I bet your guess is pretty close. Porsche's that sell on BAT go for dumb money. I am not sure if that carries over to other brands or not.

7. Jay-K

Jay-K Karting

Feb 3, 2015
    perfect spec i would say.. meant to be driven.. but if it's been 10 year.. i would only buy this thing to keep it.

PKIM likes this.
  8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #8 freshmeat, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    10 years w such low mileage, I’d be worried to drive it. As many owners will relate, it takes a certain depth of regular usage to ring out all the gremlins.

But if you mean to store and collect, this an almost perfect specimen; I say almost because it doesn’t have the F1 Shift LED steering wheel!

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I disagree with the commonly expressed view on this site that extremely low-mile cars are bad or high risk. Sure, there may be some minor issues to resolve, like bad gaskets, hoses, etc., but once those issues are resolved, you end up with a like-new car.

The real problem with this car is you can't drive it because the miles are so low. Someone will pay a large premium for such low mileage, but they'd destroy that additional value by adding lots of miles to the odometer. So, this car is essentially a large red paperweight.

10. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    I guess it depends what it sells for. If it had 10,000mi, this would be ~$175k car. So what is the value of the 10,000mi if you wanted to Drive it? $2.50/mile?

I would assume someone who wants a museum car will show up, so it’s a moot point...

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I guess it all depends on your definition of minor.

At such a low mileage / exposure to heat & UV, I guarantee the carbon engine bay panels will milk and haze once exposed to regular use and daylight. It's an early 08, it's a dead given.

08s also were susceptible to leaks in the EVAP system for starters, not a part-intensive fix but the time it takes to smoke the system, plug the leak(s) is a tedious and long process.

F1 relay has probably gone bad from zero use, not an expensive part but often times overlooked and prolonged use without replacement leads to much costlier repairs to other areas of the F1 gearbox.

Without any use it's also pretty certain the seals on many, many areas of the car will be toast once put under regular strains. One failure will lead to another and to another.

It doesn't have the F1 LED steering wheel...I don't think that can be retrofitted but lets just say it can, replacing the wheel w OEM and accompanying electronics in the dash is going to cost a pretty penny.

So, you compound / add all these "minor issues" up and suddenly things don't seem so minor anymore.

If you're a collector / looking for an oversized but beautiful red paperweight, then all the above probably means little to nothing.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don’t understand this. Not exposing the CF to light should only lengthen their lifespan.
    Does cf go bad once used after sitting in a box for a long period of time?

Additionally, I don’t expect this car to suddenly be exposed to “regular use and daylight” like a daily driver or something.
    Your other points were good, but might really be reaching on this one.

13. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    '08s had issues with the carbon coolant tank covers. This was a warranty item and most were replaced but I have seen a couple that weren't. The lack of an LED steering wheel is a big $ item to upgrade if the buyer decides to do it. The wheel itself is expensive and I think it also requires a software upgrade...it may not be plug and play. As for cost, Ferrari of Houston recently had an '08 with less than 1K miles with an asking price of $249K. It sold quickly and if Ryan is reading this maybe he can comment on the actual sales price. This is a beautiful car with low miles and I wish the buyer the best of luck with it. These cars are relatively bullet proof. Idk about the seals and gaskets failing once its gets driven. That was certainly true of the older Ferraris.

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Back in the day, dealerships were only replacing/refinishing panels under warranty that showed actual hazing/milking, so I doubt this low mileage car could’ve possibly gotten to that state nor had them addressed in 380 miles of use and exposure.

The oil cap is usually the first to go, then the panel to either side of the muffler box and eventually the larger topmost panels will lose their luster/shine and finally go as well.

The resin the factory used was not heat+uv resilient so it's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Thanks for clarifying.

16. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Yes, some + 9600 miles more indeed. Move it from "collector" to "driver."

So right about Porschkees on BAT. Insane prices have brought every old 911 and 356 model out of the woodwork with no end in sight.

And then the boogers at BAT proffer up this F430 six speed -

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-ferrari-f430-berlinetta-5/

I do hope for an F430 in my garage some day. Makes no sense whatsoever - between Michigan's crappy roads, exorbitant vehicle registration fee, and short driving season.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    We’re the carbon fiber “milking” issues corrected on later cars, 09, or will this happen to the entire run of scuds ?

18. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I still feel the same.

I assume the car wasn't stored outside in the sun (!) so I assume it would have less UV exposure, not more. Plus, the carbon fiber did not get exposed to heat from the engine, so less chance of it turning milky. I, therefore, assume the carbon fiber is perfect.

Not sure that the EVAP system would need to be changed or not, but if this is an issue for all '08s, it's not really a particular problem for cars that are not driven.

Not sure on the F1 relay either, but, as you said, it can be fixed for relatively little cost and would be if it isn't working.

As I mentioned above, seals are not a big deal and can be changed for relatively low cost.

As for lack of an LED steering wheel, that is not a problem that results from a car not being driven, it is an options issue.

So, again, the issues that result from the car sitting and not being driven are pretty minor. I doubt it would cost more than a few thousand dollars to fix them. Once that work is done, you have a like-new car. This is why ultra-low mileage cars sell for such a high premium. If such cars were money pits, they would sell at a discount.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I never had any of the issues above except the discoloring of the engine panels on my Scud - sent them to Macarbon for redo - look great-has nothing to do with the sun-mine was in a/c garage-believe it was engine heat-have now had it for 10 years-10,500 miles

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #20 freshmeat, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Later production year cars were a mixed bag but 08s we’re a dead given. Some 09s only suffered from the oil tank cover, others more. And again, if they were not hazing / milking the dealership wouldn’t replace them under warranty so folks couldn’t simply bring the cars in and have “good panels” also replaced as a precautionary measure. 2 owners I know in my area tried and they were told it would be out of pocket. One of them got around it by just parking his car in the sun for a few weeks before the warranty ran out and sure enough the remaining panels turned and he got them replaced.

Full disclosure, my 09 only had 890 miles (I’m the 2nd owner) when I purchased it, so much of the above is from first hand experience and also having owned mine for 10 years and clocked 15.5k miles (higher than most) you can say I’ve “been along the journey”.

The car is only a “money pit” if you intend to drive it, which is why a higher mileage car (5k ish) would unequivocally cost less for starters since there is no premium, and second most if not all the things mentioned here would’ve already been addressed.

Well, I say most because there’s also the sticky buttons thing that plagues even the newest models...and that is another question of just when not if...

Skippr1999 likes this.
  21. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Dumb question. Are all scuds 50 state legal?

22. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, if unmodified.

23. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    it is odd that car does not have carbon steering wheel with LEDS when the window sticker indicates "US Carbon Package." My understanding is that this package included all the carbon goodies and basically made the car same spec as the 09s..

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Mine too. I have no idea how this car ended up without that great, valuable item. Somehow either they didn't want it (!) and spec'd alcantara to go on the wheel in that spot OR it was modified later (unlikely, but who knows).

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Didnt meet reserve at 205K +5k fees.
    I bailed at 180K +5.
    This car is actually too nice to drive.
    One would feel guilty taking it anywhere.