Mr. Glickenhaus | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Mr. Glickenhaus

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Aug 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Now I'm wondering if you aren't Jim or working for him, you couldn't say anything better to turn people more against you and thus for Jim.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Whatever!!!

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    That would be the BEST!

No offense to Jim or Steven ...

arizonaitalian and technom3 like this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #254 miurasv, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Isn't he great? Was reading the latest edition of UK magazine "Top Gear" today and lo and behold there is an article about Glickenhaus and his cars. No surprise that he's there claiming he owns Ferrari P3/4 0846 and there is a picture of Ing. Forghieri's superseded letter of March, 2016, but what I found most interesting was that although we know the story of Luigi Chinetti inviting 12 year old Jim in from the rain in 1962 when outside his dealership looking in and Chinetti giving him a NART jacket, what we didn't know was that by the time Jim was 15 they had formed a relationship and Jim used to help Mr Chinetti work on his cars. Cars like the NART 250 LM that was the last Ferrari to win Le Mans outright. Amazing!!!

The article says that $600k-ish SCG004 will be using a supercharged LT4 engine from a Corvette which conflicts with what John Houghtaling said about it today, that regardless of the choice of engine it's going to have something exotic and race bred.

5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I disagree it should stay in the vintage section. People think its real... so they wont look for it in the replica section. It should stay in the vintage section to make sure it gets maximum exposure so people can make up there own mind.

JAM1 likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have no dog in this fight, but I have to say the miurasv presented very convincing evidence in the 0846 debate thread. Since that point I noticed that Jim Glickenhaus suddenly went silent on this forum. To me that silence spoke volumes. If someone questioned my character, they would have a serious fight on their hands. I'm not saying either miurasv or Glickenhaus are right, but it is one of those things that make you go huummm?

GatorFL, Igor Ound, JAM1 and 2 others like this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Jim built an amazing car. Anybody would love to have it in their collection. It is a fantastic recreation of a car that no longer exists..

Lusso123, JAM1 and davidoloan like this.
  9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    This thread went to 0846 because the question was "what happened to Glickenhaus" and the answer was "maybe he didn't like the way the debate on 0846 went", so it's natural. Since it went that way on its own, it's OK for you to post more details about why you think Glickenhaus might not have been happy with the current state of the 0846 thread. Since you can post here or the 0846 thread, you are not being "gagged".

However, it is not natural for a discussion on the Ferrari Modulo to suddenly turn to 0846 nor is it natural for a discussion on SCG003, SCG004, etc to turn to 0846. You changed the topic on the threads you were banned from and you have a history of bickering with Glickenhaus. Because of this history your postings are subject to greater scrutiny for appropriateness and stalking. The argument that Glickenhaus = 0846 is rejected because it is a rationale for any thread to become an 0846 thread. Wayne merged all the 0846 threads together because it is undesirable and annoying to the user base for 0846 to pop up everywhere they turn. That moderation position still holds. Users who bring up 0846 on unrelated threads, are subject to one or more of post moves, thread merges, thread bans or site bans based on the moderators' judgement of the appropriateness of the postings as well as the poster's prior history on the subject.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's not the debate. The debate is dishonesty and/or deception.

JAM1, miurasv and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    What's that old saying? "Of the single 0846 Ferrari P3/4s that were built, only two exist."

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that doesn't apply in this case, several other vintage Ferraris I know. However, good point if a car could be built on a single burnt part, then maybe 100 could exist to the same acceptance? Imagine 100 Jim personalities all claiming they have 0846 and acceptance by all these organizations.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ok... Genuine genuine question.

I must be lost... and at the very least slightly confused... and left with the feeling of missing something.... So I am going to ask what may seem like a silly or possibly even passive agressive question which is not my intent.

What about Steves last post turns people against him?

The way I read it... is

blah blah blah... he posted facts about 0846...

blah blah blah.... in reference to stalking he made the comparison that you almost can't talk about nixon without watergate or without doping (unfortunate we don't assume armstrong with the moon anymore but thats a whole other topic) BUT... bascially that its going to come up in threads as thats just what happens in open conversation and that its going to be hard to regulate etc...

The thing about banning... well... that one is a bit controversial. I guess thats his feeling... seems a bit strong to me... but I also don't think I have been banned (maybe once can't remember)... also being banned for talking about a subject and going against a huge wave of fanboys and sicophants only to be proven RIGHT... might leave one with a chip on their shoulder I suppose. Regardless... I think its a bit brazen to say you can't ban me because other people are doing it... well... Im pretty sure message boards can just ban people for whatever reason they want... they don't legally have to be fair. They can ban to ban I suppose... so its kind of a ridiculous statement. besides its an internet forum... who cares. (I mean that politely as I know you build this great site from the ground up and has provided you with a magnificent living not just monetarily but likely with life satisfaction of doing what you love more or less)

What did I miss???

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #264 BJK, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    I think post #259 explains it for me. He was only banned from 2 threads. One discussing Jim's Modulo, and the other his SCG cars. NOT where people want to re-hash '0846'.

technom3 likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Some of the more interesting and revealing comments regarding a certain debate and how it is/was conducted and presented.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, I always thought any post by any poster on any public forum provides same on each of those posters. :rolleyes:

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That's a low shot. You know more than most. I know more than you, and there are those who know a lot more than me. The reality is most people, like Ross, don't know the whole story. It's like the old Black Panther saying, "Dem's talkin, dont know. Dem's dat know, aint talkin." Personally, I have no interest in digging up dirty laundry. Time to move on.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    historically and current his MO is borderline or past border "trolling". Steve has an absolute hate and it permeates through his posts. Now the question even I have a hard time answering is it justified. If you were the 0.001% for years, banned for years by mods, threatened with legal lawsuits, and the trolling you see against Steve in this thread was even 10x worse... does that make Steve's tone and approach justified?

I honestly think it is ridiculous when I hear from either side that they expect more moderation and banning against the other party for "trolling". If that's what everyone wants there will be Steve's ban plus about 50 and most of those are Jim fan club.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe. let's start a list of what is known, especially what should be known by Ross. you will need to help me out with this list.
    • Ross trolls (proposes) that Jim > Steve.
    • Steve has arguably trolled Jim, but has Steve ever offered anything about 0846 that wasn't true or not backed by some evidence?
    • Jim as of today, still with absolute certainty says 0846 is the real thing. Is that backed by any evidence from his side? Where does the evidence presented by Steve stack up against Jim's? Was Jim able to refute the evidence Steve presented? Has IAC/PFA accepted 0846 as the real thing and allowed it into any shows? Has Ferrari accepted it as the real thing?
    • Finally, all considering above what is the level of ethics and bullying then to quash any conversation through legal threats vs. continuing the debate and discussion with evidence?
    • Do we want to list other data points that are very public on FerrariChat like China Agritech?
    Now I do agree there is a ton that is non-public and will stay there. Ross probably doesn't know about your friend or had the offline conversations with the most respected historians and collectors larger than Jim as some of us have.

I'm trying to be done with this discussion. 0846 won't go anywhere else because Steve has presented a ton of evidence and Jim doesn't want to refute it. There are still a few fanboys left like Ross that are more focused on Steve's bad behavior than morals or facts. I think it is better I back out now before I just take a scorched earth policy and eliminate all the "borderline" trolls.

JAM1, technom3 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Me? I think the whole is a dead horse. In fact, I think it is a rotting dead horse. Nobody is going to change their mind, especially Glickenhaus. If people want to argue 0846, send them to that thread. If someone wants to be a Glickenhaus fanboy, I believe there is a thread further down where they can go. Maybe the thing to do is shut down discussions in the general forum.

Lusso123 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I only follow this thread out of a morbid fascination now. The letter that explained the engine mounting points, and the differences between the original and Jim's car, seems dispositive to me. IMHO, it should be classified as a recreation. I really don't understand how grown men get so emotionally invested in this stuff.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bingo. It's only a car. A ****ing car. Geez Louise.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I appreciate the reply. I do. I OBVIOUSLY was not aware of the other threads or the content or intention of those posts.

Not that you care what I think... but I think the hands off approach is best as opposed to banning. Let both sides fling the poo and only step in when it get WAY out of control.

A wise man once said don't argue with a fool because from a distance no one can tell who is who.

Best to let the crazies sort it out sometimes. Sometimes thats more telling.

I have had contact with steve for the last few years and he has been nothing but very nice and respectful and never seemed to have an "agenda" I do think he is was on a mission because he knew he was right and like a dog wasn't going to let go of it until the deed was done. But I never thought he was really out of bounds with anything I saw. He always backed it up with evidence... and that... you can't argue with.

Your mentioning of his backers have me very intrigued. I never knew of this or caught a WIFF of it either.

Boy id love to know if it was piper feeding him some info... My guess would be it would have to be.

Lusso123, Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    GOLF CLAP

25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #275 technom3, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018
    Well... i get it on steves side. Changing history is not for the greater good. Then you add in monetary gain at the publics expense... and we have a real problem. I think its someones duty to call a fake a fake when it is a fake. To let it slide when you know ALMOST makes you complicit or an accessory. Now I know someone will say thats a bit too far... but we are talking about a couple hundred thousand dollar car and making it a 20 million dollar car. Also, the PR machine that is glickenhaus is getting as much media coverage as he can to solidify it as truth in the history books.

When all of the old timers are dead... when steve is dead... when jim is dead... etc... When the millenials are sorting through all of this and there is a mountain of periodicals accompanying the car and even a Forza video game with the car in it... what will be used as evidence that it is real? The only counter claim to this mountain of evidence is going to be the 0846 thread.

**** it... maybe im just a history nerd...

miurasv, Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.