What would Ferris Bueller drive today? | FerrariChat

What would Ferris Bueller drive today?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    In Ferris Bueller's Day Off (the original movie, not the TV series), Ferris's friend's dad has a 250 Cali SWB Spider which (spoiler alert) gets driven, then wrecked. (Actually, they used replicas, except for a couple of detail shots during filming).

The film was made in 1986, and the car was a 1961 model. Meaning the car those kids salivated over was 25 years old at the time of filming.

What 25 year old (approx) Ferrari would they use today, if making the movie for the first time?

Some thoughts:

I believe a 250 was around $700k, in today's money, back in 1986 (costing $300k then, $700k in today's buying power).

There was no V12 front engined Spider (like the 250) 25 years ago in 1993. So the choices open to today's filmmaker would be:

512 TR (the only 12 cyl Ferrari in 1993) - much cheaper, at around $200k for a good one now
    F40 - older (1987), but with superstar quality, and even more expensive

For a Spider, the only 1993 choice would be a 348 or Mondial T, no disrespect to either, but I don't think they have the Wow factor of the 250.

I'm thinking Ferris would drive an F40; but then they wouldn't be able to do their famous threesome cruise around Chicago. No room.

Or maybe a converted (not Factory) Daytona Spider? The price would be about right, it would fit all of them in the same way, and look cool, but it would be a 50 year old car now, rather than a 25 year old car in the original.

Which of these cars would have the same effect now, as they 250 had back then?

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I would have thought for dramatic impact of the scene when the car is introduced the 250 California (or a replica there of) would easily top anything Ferrari made 25 years ago so why not still use that?

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dat's funny.

Daytonafan likes this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It has to be a convertible to fit into the context of the movie. If we are going to use the 25 year time period then I honestly cant think of any from 1990-1995 that have anywhere near the cache today that the 250 Cali SWB Spider had then.

As Ferris himself said, "There is no substitute"

Daytonafan likes this.
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The only one i can think of is the F50

Texas Forever and SAFE4NOW like this.
  7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thats the question; but also a 25o is well over $10 million now.

F50, that could fit the bill, but still no room in the back..

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’d say an Enzo. It’s got a pretty big cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    550 Barchetta

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Given the time when the movie came out and the 250, the 'top' car with the same time delta would be the F40