[FL] F1 Live event Miami 2018 October | FerrariChat

[FL] F1 Live event Miami 2018 October

Discussion in 'F1' started by brendon0, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Does anyone have any information on this event? Is it still on? Where do I get tickets?

My wife and I want to come down to Miami for a few days and check it all out.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I don't think there are any updates since last week's preliminary announcement

"We are having a festival in Miami and we are finalising all of the details. We don't have the details yet but, like Marseille, there is a car run," an F1 spokesman confirmed.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    2019 gents. Till then.:) The actual GP???

When F1 opened at COTA, F1 held an event that year (2012) at downtown Austin.....or was that RedBull with the famous RB7???

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #4 BartonWorkman, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    We've got our ears to the ground here in Miami and other than Red Bull coming in and filming a
    commercial a month or so ago, there has been very little with regard to the Miami Formula One
    Grand Prix in the news lately.

The last news to come out lately was that a delegation of City of Miami department heads which
    were scheduled to attend the Singapore Grand Prix on a fact finding mission trip was cancelled.

Since everything has been pushed back one year, it seems unlikely that the tentatively announced
    Miami Formula One "Fan Fest" event will be taking place as planned.

As for the actual Miami Formula One Grand Prix itself, a source close to the situation informs me
    that the delay is more to do with use of various properties within the layout of the circuit. And, since
    they could not come to an agreement in time for F1 to announce its 2019 schedule, they decided to
    target 2020 instead.

An area behind the American Airlines Arena which is designated as a "park" but in reality only has
    a couple of benches and palm trees (and is otherwise an open field that is little used) has been
    declared off-limits by one of the City Commissioners.

The resulting redesign saw the circuit wind into Bayfront Park a-la the Grand Prix of the Americas
    (2002-03) but this is an issue because asphalt would need to be laid and walls erected through the
    park once again, then the question becomes what's it going to cost and who's going to pay for it?

The circuit redesign would also effectively cut off the Bayside mall from pedestrians (customers) to the
    point where anyone wanting to enter Bayside would need to cross two foot bridges and show credentials
    two or three times just to get into the mall. So, naturally the tenants of Bayside are making a fuss.

Then, there is the Homestead/ISC lobby which has $20M to $30M at its disposal to thwart the Grand
    Prix from happening. They're using the tenants of the downtown high rises, scaring them into thinking
    that having a Grand Prix in the area is going to seriously jeopardize their way of life, create massive
    traffic issues, noise, dogs & cats living together, nuclear waste falling from the skies, all this.

So, for now, everything seems to be on hold unless or until they're able to work out the land use issues
    that have thrown the whole deal into doubt.

BHW

5. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    The latest I've heard is that Miami will hold the race in 2020. I have a client that is buying in the 1000 Museum just for the top down view he'll get of the race lol!

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    What a seriously dull track layout. Bunch of straights with some 90 corners!

Why not cut to the chase and hold it on a drag strip?

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Most street circuits are boring as hell, in my opinion; this one, a bit more so, perhaps. The slow section past the AAA may provide some on-the-fly mugging opportunities....:rolleyes:

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I won't complain for this layout having long straights, I love top speed, but most of the corners are 90°, which is a bit boring.

I guess it's he penalty for having a street circuit.

There should be plenty of opportunities to overtake probably, but this track will be hard on the brakes.

Where will they put the spectators?

stavura likes this.
  9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome that they are doing all they can to promote this event and build good-will.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Midnight Oil likes this.
  12. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Going to do our best and come down from baca to be there! Lived in Miami for 13 years, I would have killed for some F1. I only recall some cart racing quite some time ago. I would think Miami should be a great place for F1, but one never knows with the locals.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love that poster, wouldn't that be awesome?!

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If they're able to fill the park with F1 enthusiasts and the actual Grand Prix itself
    comes off as hoped, then yes!

There's a track simulator video on Motorsport.com with Julia Piquet in the simulator
    with a driver (sorry don't remember who it is) and the way the simulator showed it, the
    course is billiard table smooth.

Of course, from previous experience, the streets of Miami at their best are like driving on
    the moon and the Grand Prix of the Americas featured a huge hump in the road that was
    lauching the ALMS cars two feet into the air heading back down Biscayne.

Obviously, the bridges will likewise be bumpy so the F1 boys better be ready.

BHW

15. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    OK so I am in. Coming down from Tamp and may spend both days down there. Whos getting together? Would love to chill with other Ferrarichat guys!

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1 Miami Festival (1hr 38min)...it was live at the time.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The event was hugely attended, the place was a mob scene with an estimated 15,000
    to 20,000 spectators.

A very enthusiastic crowd which enjoyed runs of Formula One cars from Red Bull which
    had two cars in attendance Renault, an ex-John Surtees Honda RA301, ex-Emerson Fittipaldi
    McLaren M23 (driven by Fittipaldi), McLaren Senna (also driven by Fittipaldi), the Minardi two
    seater F1 car and others making runs and more on display under bright cloudless skies
    with temperatures in the high 80s.

The cars ran from the south end of Biscayne Boulevard up to Bayside Mall and straight
    back down Biscayne again with all of them doing doughnuts in the turnaround areas. It
    was really a spectacular setting bringing back memories of the original downtown Miami
    Grand Prix and the Miami Grand Prix of the Americas.

Based solely on the attendance, the event (which was free and open to the public) must be
    measured as a major success which sends the message to Homestead/ISC that their lobbying
    efforts against the Miami F-1 Grand Prix have been blunted. This must give Liberty Media a
    renewed optimism that the Grand Prix will happen in 2020.

Thanks to our friends from the Collection Suites for hosting us in their VIP at the event,
    very nice!

BHW

tifosi12, Nembo1777 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305