Pre storage oil change | FerrariChat

Pre storage oil change

Discussion in '308/328' started by ModenaInv, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I usually change the oil/filter prior to winter storage. The oil in my 308 was last changed in October of 2017. The car has traveled roughly 300 miles since oil change. I'm planning on a major service this coming spring and was thinking of doing the oil and other fluids at that time. I've heard different opinions on when to change oil, before or after winter storage. When I check the oil, it's so clear/clean, I can hardly see it on the stick. Opinions?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would wait for spring , I know I have.

Save your money.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  4. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Under normal circumstances, fluids should be changed prior to storage, not after. Contaminants build up with use and are then very corrosive when they are allowed to settle during storage. Also, the fresh fluids don’t degrade while the car is stored - inside of crankcase and a can looks the same to the oil. I know some feel better to change in the spring but a google search looking at actual credible sources, not opinions, will show fluids should be changed prior to storage. With that said, with only 300 miles on the oil, I would wait until the full service is done. FWIW, I am in the exact same position. Normal,y change in the fall. Have a major service coming up and have barely driven the car. Will have fluids changed when service is done in early spring.

thorn likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If the car was going in long-term storage, I'd give a different answer. But if we're talking a few months and it's relatively recent oil, then I would say change it after the winter is over.

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Not that any answers posted are good or bad, but for the answer you need, have a lab analysis of an oil sample done. There will be no doubt then, on the shape of your oil going into winter, or coming out of storage should you choose to wait.

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Changing it now, running for a spell (a few minutes, a few miles) and storing it that way would be best.

But oil with 300 miles is hardly used so if you stored it over the winter with the current oil, the car's not going to break. :)

-F

8. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the feedback. The car will be in storage from late October to March or April. At that time I'll have a major done with a fresh oil/fluid change.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have a bunch of cars so spending $20k per year on annual services isn't fun and most of the cars get driven less than 100 miles per year. with consultation of my car friends and 2 independants i have moved a few of the cars to every 18 mos and every 24 months and will be conducting blackstone oil analysis to see if there is any material differences in 12/18/24 months intervals for garage queens.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    also i shld add to this - the cars are stored in a climate controlled facility at a constant temperature and humidity.

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My belief is that it is a fine point; with only 300 miles/12 months on the oil, there would not be much crap in the oil that the additives couldn't handle. Personally, I would change it at the beginning of the driving season just because driving stresses the oil more than does sitting so it would be nice to start with fresh oil and small amount of water that might condense in the oil while sitting could be drained rather than be boiled off. Again, my belief is that its a really minor difference.