Ferrari “Puro” SUV announced | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari “Puro” SUV announced

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dustman, Sep 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats because the Bentley is really ugly!

If you don't grow you die. I remember when LDM took their production from ~4,000 to 7,000. People said the same thing. Now that's some kind of golden era?

I don't want to see a Ferrari SUV either. BUT- we have yet to see what they come up with. I also didn't want to see a California nor FF. For my preferences, they could have not made them at all and I wouldn't have really cared. But they made them. And I think the California turned out to be either their most successful car ever, or one of the most successful. All "BIPO"...

They moved away from Mr. Enzo Ferrari's point about making one less when they sold out to Fiat. Approx 1973... Or so the criticism went.

I'll never forget hearing this criticism of how they "ruined Ferrari" - and this was 1978! We were looking at a relative's 275 GTB... "they don't sound like that anymore" "they don't look like that any more" "they make too many"... Does it feel that way now?

We will only know how this plays out when its history..... So I say enjoy the ride!

anunakki likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im with you - you know how much i love my FF but if given my druthers i wish it never came to be. my f355 changed my life as it was and is emotional. ive used the crap out of my FF but really my life wld be the same if it didnt exist. if they cld have kept the FF beautiful then i wld have been ok with it. The FF shld have been the FF engine in the 612. For me the SUV crosses the line.

and PS if i had your money id be buying all the new cars!

crinoid likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What if the "SUV" isn't an SUV though? Mr. Camilleri said "As a die-hard Ferrarista, I have been a little skeptical when the concept was first voiced at the board.... Having now seen the wonderful design concept, the extraordinary features ... I am a hugely enthusiastic supporter.” I can't find the other quote but he said it would be comfortable AND "connected". What if its something that really wows us? Since we know little about what it will be, I think we have to at least allow for that possibility.

A little over 10 years ago I'd have a hard time thinking I'd really like sports cars with any kind of automated gear shift. Yet, here we are. They made me a believer first with the 599's Superfast gear box and the Scuderia's Superfast2 gearbox. And now those things are ancient compared to what they are doing with DCTs...

I think there are different aspects, and also different amounts of each aspect that draw each of us to Ferrari. May it long continue... I don't want to be a passenger in some sad looking "Google pod"!

stavura, crinoid and F12KID like this.
  4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes we can what if until the cows come home...BUT...im more likely to buy an f50 over a Laf and equally as likely to buy an f50 over the LaF replacement. just a matter of where i want to spend my time. An SUV moves me way further to the f50 side of the world and if you adopt me one day ill make you happy and by a LaF replacement with your scratch!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I genuinely believe them when they say it won’t be any sort of traditional SUV. That’s why they don’t even want people to refer to it as an SUV but instead say FUV. Camilleri said they want to get it perfect. Also I believe Sergio had said it wouldn’t be known for crawling rocks. Sergio had mentioned quite a while back looking at gullwing door solution to improve ingress/egress without needing 4 doors. I think it will be genuinely unique. I think this is actually good thing. If it is sleek powerful with some extra ground clearance I don’t think that’s bad. It makes me think of the pairs of Panamerican 599’s and the Asia 612’s with extras suspension travel. I thought they looked cool. Ultimately you’re right in regards to a companies difference once public. I still hate it. Elkann is to blame for the raping of Ferrari to support the whole disaster that is Fiat. Montezemolo had the model Ferrari figured out.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    So instead of Sport Utility Vehicle, Fracked Up Vehicle. Tomato, Tomahto.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    6 years later my kids still refer to the FF as the funny ferrari or "are we taking the funny looking one..."

paulchua, nmcclure and G. Pepper like this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had a FF unte shop today. Cool car, I like it. Unfortunately I could not get past the dodge caravan nav unit, or the dodge ram heater controls.

If they jam this new SUV with Chrysler parts..like the ff or California..sorry, it becomes a cash grab. We shall see..

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I have said this before, the "SUV" has taken the place of the station wagon as the family truckster. Years ago the vast majority of these people would have bought station wagons, but an SUV doesn't have the same stigma as a lame station wagon. What percentage of non-commercial SUV's are used off-road, or for hauling stuff on a regular basis? They are the modern day station wagon, just with a higher seating position. And they are no cooler, they are still just as lame.

Porsche lost me with the Cayenne and then the Panamera. They actually have diesel versions of both, DIESEL! I am sure they are work just fine, just not what I thought of growing up when Porsche crossed my mind.

I am sure they are all quite functional for their purpose. They are all, for the purposes they are used, Mom and parent cars. I can't stand them.

(FYI- I used to own a '73 Caprice Estate Wagon with a factory 454 and the tailgate that dropped into the back. Its was kitschy, I enjoyed it as a caricature of another time.)

Definition of Station Wagon

: an automobile that has a passenger compartment which extends to the back of the vehicle, that has no trunk, that has one or more rear seats which can be folded down to make space for light cargo, and that has a tailgate or liftgate

And I see here I am not alone, forgot about the mini-vans between the station wagons and the SUV's:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/07/13/ford-expedition-suv-moves-front-pack/777407002/

"Just as minivans replaced the family station wagon in the 1980s, so too did big SUVs vanquish those vans in the 1990s."

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I suppose every part of the world is different, but in my little corner of it I rarely see a Ferrari, Lamborghini, AM, McLaren, or a Bentley parked outside a restaurant. Strange because there are dealers for all of them within 20 minutes of my house. What I do see are Merc AMG models, Audi's, RR's. Maserati's, and Porsche's. I guess most owners tend to leave their cars at home, this is not the area of the lets DD drive our sports car, or for that matter leave it where we cant see it. Sports cars, hmmm I have always found the definition of what is a sports car to vary widely, and I will never see anything that weighs 2 1/2 tons as a sports car. Though I understand how others might see every Ferrari (or Lamborghini or Porsche)as a sports car, I am not one of the others. I always saw cars as having a purpose, I cant (even if I wanted to) romanticize them (or the brand they come from), and I see the mini van taking the place of the big station wagon (when wagon became uncool) and then the SUV took the mini van's place. I have heard people call the FF and the Lusso practical Ferrari's, LOL now that is a 1%'r talking. A 400K sticker price car that is practical. That is higher than the average person's house. Yes Ferrari will make an SUV, just like Lamborghini, and AM and Porsche, even Lotus will soon. If McLaren is going to be around tens years from now so will they. In the end passion for the cars cannot overcome the passion for making money (and staying in business). If I decided not to own a car from a company that made models I did not like, I'd probably be riding a bicycle.

Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper like this.
  11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #86 freshmeat, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    What's all the fuss about Ferrari making an SUV?

With the way Ferrari has curated the distinct series lineup, I personally think everyone from various gamuts of expectations are going to be happy; you have upper echelon clients who get to enjoy the exclusivity of the icona and hyper series etc, you have peasants like myself who can only afford $3-400k sportscars happy to land a limited-run series every now and then, you have less racecar aficionados who simply gravitate towards the passion, styling and prestige of the Ferrari brand who are happy to enjoy some fine Italian engineering for the soul in series like a Portofino and future Dino, you have less well-off fanboys and fangirls (in the context of the 1%) who just want to be part of team red and drive something a little more exciting on a regular day-to-day basis, something a little prettier than a Mercedes G65 or Porsche Cayenne who will be thrilled behind the wheel of a Ferrari SUV.

I see plenty of oval Ford badges on sedans, pickups, minivans etc on the road, I don't think that has made the Ford GT sportscar any less special. Lighten up fellas, it's not the end of the automotive world.

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    This is exactly right. So, based on this, who wants to be it will be their best seller?

13. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    What made Ferrari different in the past was that they were unique, passionate, limited in number and mostly made by humans not machines.. This is no longer the case.

HotShoe likes this.
  14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    There's no limit to the things that are different now.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    There more humans on the planet now, it's all relative e.g. 1% of 100 of the past vs 1% of 1,000 of the now, we're still talking about the 1%.

And I don't see any less passion in the upper echelon / series Ferrari is pumping out e.g. Monza SP1 & 2 if that's not emblematic enough for passion, heritge or exclusivity I don't know what is...

paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    IMO Pagani is the "new" Ferrari.

wrxmike and Innovativethinker like this.
  17. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Isn't the opposite of thoroughbred..................hybrid??

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Except the explorer ecoboost engine and accompanying middling exhaust sounds it makes. And the low rent interior relative to the price and peers. But yah.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Maybe from a very narrow and limited view as Pagani doesn’t make their own engines and they do not race in any capacity let alone F1.

MalcQV likes this.
  20. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Hmmmm. Trying to picture a Ferrari towing a boat.....or at least jet skis!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL

More likely in front of Harrods posing with all the rest.

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    No different in approach than how Porsche or Ferrari or Lamborghini (Audi) dig into the parts bin and sprinkle whatever across the whole model lineup. Even in the icona Monza SP's, the dash console is just a erratic vomit of 458 buttons and dials which can also be found in models as old as the 599/430 (my only criticism of that beautiful thing)...even them seats are exactly the same as the ones from my 10-yr old Scud.

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You will make me happy just to be you.

I think the idea is we will have "FUV"s with the following bumper sticker: "my other car is an F50" :)

I just need your help to figure out how to get there!

G. Pepper and maximilien like this.
  24. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I feel that a large part of the divergent views has to do with the time you became involved with the brand. Live with and enjoy a vintage Ferrari warts and all and you may come to understand why many long time owners feel that the brand has altered course and sailed more and more into the mainstream. This is obviously not an issue for many but it is for me.
    Care to compare the aesthetics and character of a 275 GTB with an FF or California.
    There is more to Ferrari to me than going fast. It is timeless elegance, personality, limited numbers and designs that stand the test of time.
    If I wanted a mass produced sports car I would have bought a Corvette or Porsche.

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #100 freshmeat, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Strikes me as odd and even unfair that someone would even compare a 275 GTB to either FF or Cali instead of any one of the numerous and more evocative contemporary parallel...as great as an FF is it stands no chance in that head to head lol. Why not a TdF or 812 or GTO?!

Caeruleus11 likes this.