Hmm... Ferrari forgot their own history... no respect for the 308GT4! | FerrariChat

Hmm... Ferrari forgot their own history... no respect for the 308GT4!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ian Bishop, Sep 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    New ad campaign from Ferrari for the GTC4 Lusso T states "the first four-seater to be powered by a V8 engine". I think not! The 308GT4 takes that credit. You would have thought the advertizing team for Ferrari would know their own history. Saw the ad in the inside front page of the new "Sempre Ferrari" magazine by Ferrari of Newport Beach and thought maybe they got it wrong... but turns out the Ferrari website has it wrong too!!!
    https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/car-range/gtc4lussot/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    308GT4 aside, they also seem to have overlooked the entire California range from 2010 onwards.

Even more ironic coming from a dealer in California.

carguyjohn350 and bertrand328 like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Ferrari of Newport Beach a.k.a. ministry of misinformation

Rosey likes this.
  4. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    This isn't just Ferrari of Newport Beach.. its on the national web-site... which also states (thus the link provided above the picture)
    THE PRANCING HORSE ANNOUNCES THE ARRIVAL OF THE NEW GTC4LUSSO T, THE FIRST FOUR-SEATER TO BE POWERED BY A V8 ENGINE.

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im not surprised at all, been like this forever with the gt4

colinoz likes this.
  6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    In the auto industry I think the GT4 is technically a 2+2 not a 4 seater.

colinoz, absostone and pizzadude like this.
  7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The GTC4 Lusso is a 2+2! And, while I'm at it, what a stupid bloody name! Can't they come up with something original?

8. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Hmm, if they don't even know the recent history of their own company, how much are things like their classiche sert really worth? :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Marketing departments and their suppliers are highly trained to be economical with the truth, polishing up facts to suit their narrative & hiding things that don't under the carpet. It's right to call them out, though & I hope a motoring journalist picks this one up.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That did cross my mind yesterday.

11. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    Hi guys ,it is true
    in Maranello not many people knows Dino gt 4.
    Some years ago i visited the Ferrari museum in Modena and there was no Dino Gt 4 .I asked to the Ferrari's lady that introduced the visitors to museum why no Dino Gt 4 was present, and she did not know this model!!!!
    Hope now they have Dino Gt4 present in Museum,but i don't know.

12. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    I sent an email to Ferrari, and surprisingly got a very fast reply from "[email protected]" who stated:

Dear Mr. Bishop,
    With reference to your e-mail to our Customer Service dept, you are, of course, quite right.
    It looks to be a typo by our web colleagues, who dropped the word ‘turbo’ from the introductory text.
    We have asked them to modify the text accordingly.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
    Best regards,
    Ferrari Press Office

I then politely replied that the 2014 Ferrari California T was the first V8 Turbo 4 seater.. and that maybe the media department needs a refresher on their model history. Kudos to them for replying in the first place, but let's see what reply I get from that one.

Jack-the-lad and skullyspice like this.
  13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The 308 GT4 was a Dino wasnt it? Not a Ferrari if you want to get technical. Before my time though. More egregious is, as was previously stated, the whole California line is front engine V8 with 4 seats. Marketing mumbo jumbo from the purveyor of the next luxury SUV and former maker of world class sports cars...

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think this is the answer ^^^^. My problem with the lusso is the GT4 actually is a smart, "nothing like it" good looking design 2+2 and well balanced enough where gt4 racecars are actually better racecars than 308gtb/s variants. The lusso is pretty ugly to me. If I had to carry 4 it would be...gulp...a Panamer for me and I hate porsches.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone and carguyjohn350 like this.
  16. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Definition - The 2+2 is a version of the coupé car body style that has two small rear seats for children or occasional usage, along with two front seats for the driver and front passenger.[1] For coupés that are sold either with or without rear seats, the versions that include rear seats are often marketed as a "2+2".

I believe the FF and Lusso have full size rear seats like the Panamera making them 4-seaters.

Ian Bishop likes this.
  17. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My GT4 is badged "Ferrari" and came so from the factory. Well most of it, the trunk lid seems to be a "Dino".

18. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    You were the first owner and it was delivered with Ferrari badges?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. Robertliautaud

May 9, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Robert Liautaud

It’s a phenomenal automobile for four, rain snow or shine. An absolutely ferocious and sublime beast.

20. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    It’s a sad day now when the people working at Ferrari no longer know the history of their brand. Doesn’t bode will for their future? Ferrari/ Dino, I thought this was put to rest years ago, same thing. 4 seater vs 2+2 , same damn thing. The Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 is the 1st Ferrari V8 road car and it’s a 4 seater! No marketing BS twisting of the facts or anything else can change it! Period!

PDB and AN-M like this.
  21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I just drove one of those last weekend. Johnny Rutherford Jr was my copilot.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They started putting Ferrari on them to sell better later in the production run.

Remember, back when these cars were new, Ferrari didnt have much to offer for US sales.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  23. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Mondial has four seats too. They are clueless.

SamN, dinogt4guy, PDB and 1 other person like this.
  24. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Interesting. As I said, before my time and I am no expert. Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea.

25. oelboxer

oelboxer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Wright
    Yeah, while it was supposed to be sold simply as a Dino, the US bean counters quickly realized the value of the prancing horse, and started to badge the GT4 accordingly. There is an excellent piece of literature floating around on the forums (I think posted by Jack?) that is the factory service bulletin instructing dealers to remove the Dino badge from the hood, fill the horizontal rectangular hole, then install the Ferrari hood emblem just above that spot. I guess this means they shoul officially refer to the GT4 as a Ferrari?