right seat in de Havilland Otter float | FerrariChat

right seat in de Havilland Otter float

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Sep 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    flew Vancouver to Victoria in a de Havilland Otter float and they didn’t know I was a pilot, but still placed me in right seat.

ceilings were slammed, so pretty cool some 200-300 AGL. a great pilot, but could tell they were close to limits. I had Co headset, so got to hear all the radio until he shut the Co line off to communicate with a company plane about how iffy it was.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds like an experience of a lifetime, even if you were/are its pilot.

Good times.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Flying floats over the water has advantages. Kenmore Air, out of Seattle, will fly in similar situations. Thankfully they use the flashing landing lights to help others spot them.

rob lay likes this.
  4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice. A long time ago I got the right seat from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. I booked the flight just to get to GC but it was primarily a sightseeing trip. They paired up couples in the back and I got the front seat. Headset too. Fantastic views! No ceiling like in your pics.

rob lay likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have no pictures because it was a few years ago but I flew a Beaver on floats from the Queen Charlottes to Lake Washington, not Kenmore Air. It was interesting because we were registering a groundspeed of 55mph at the north end of it and the PIC suggested that I climb to 7000 feet to get above the wind tunnel effect of that area. It worked and somewhere south of Speiden Island in the San Juans we were able to drop down to 3000 and maintain a normal airspeed. The good ol' local knowledge of the route always pays off. The Beaver is a lovely flying airplane and our house is under the path of many of Kenmore's airplanes flying to the San Juans every day..

rob lay likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have good memories as kid, my dad and I took a Canada float plane fishing trip in a Beaver. I thought it was fun trip, but after pilot landed in HEAVY winds and waves his hands shaking he lighted up a cigarette. My mom latter told us they had tried to send about 3 different planes after us unsuccessfully before the Beaver succeeded.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Me too Bob, just at the other end! It's a slow day if I don't register at least 5-8 planes north & south....then 10+ each way on Fridays & Mondays......usually 500' altitude, right down the center of the San Juan Channel.
    I can hear the Beavers thumping along about a minute or 2 before they come over the point. And of course the Caravans and the turbine Beaver and Otters sounds are distinctively different. We have a great mix of all going over. My neighbor is getting a bit of a reputation; he shakes his fist and yells at them as they go over, as he thinks they are "dangerous" to the environment.....:rolleyes:

8. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Love the Otter, sound of it makes me smile, sadly there is non in operation here.
    Skydive club where I used to jump had one, fast to climb, nice amount of space to sit on benches and it sold for more what they paid. Remember on some student skydive our jump master told me to jump up more when exiting so I gave all I had only to find out later that I had missed the horizontal stabilizer by few inches. It looked great while on freefall to see it coming straight down.

9. frog

frog Karting

Jul 7, 2008
    If it was coming straight down, I'd say must have been a turbine conversion - either that or a twin otter. Radial version had no great reputation as a homesick angel, when you speak to anyone who used them in PNG in hot and high conditions.

On dehavilland product and DZs, a beaver meat bomber down here with a TPE331 in the nose, did spectacularly manage to shed prop parts when it ran into a solid object, assorted personnel dodging the shrapnel must almost have been like a scene from the battle for britain.