Annual Service | FerrariChat

Annual Service

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terrence McGovern, Sep 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terrence McGovern

Mar 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terrence McGovern
    I have a question. I took my 2018 Ferrrari California T in for the annual service yesterday. I bought the car from a Ferrari dealer in June 2018 with 732 miles. I put 432 miles since I owned it. I got a call from the service advisor yesterday afternoon telling me the car was badly out of align. I asked him how could that be I have barely driven the car. He said it happens which I find as strange. The net, net is they want $440 for the alignment. Does that seem right? The car was a Certified pre-owned Ferrari, shouldn't there be a report that shows all of the systems were in working order before I purchased the car? Appreciate any input.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Don’t ever take a car to a stealership, they’re called that for a reason. I never take my Ferrari to the dealer, find a nice certified trusted shop in your area on here, one that doesn’t have an f1 team habit to support on the backs of customers like you that they ripoff

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does the CPO include an alignment check?....if not you might be SOL....welcome to Ferrari!

308 milano likes this.
  4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Unfortunately it may have been out of align when you purchased it unknowingly. Car may have been improperly set up, may have been on multi demo rides, you may have hit a pot hole etc. I don't believe they have an obligation to repair at no cost @ 3mo. Alignment issues at 3 mo. might be discussed with your sales person, service manager as a good will jester for future business. Good luck.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Terrence McGovern

Mar 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terrence McGovern

6. Terrence McGovern

Mar 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terrence McGovern
    Thanks for the input! Sounds like good advice.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ask them how they determined that, specifically.

It's quite possible the car is, but also that it isn't. Their answer will give you an idea of which way to lean.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Bought from same dealer as service? That changes my answer depending....

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    This is a good starting point, clarify if they found uneven tire wear ( ask for photos or stop by and look at it in person ) , or if it was noticed on the test drive.

S

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Bitter much?

FWIW , OP has a Cali T , it has 7 years FREE maintenance , so there isn't much " stealing " going on there.

It is their obligation to inform an owner of their findings during a service visit.

Alignment issues, resulting in tire wear, wheel repairs, scuffs under lower front spoiler, paint correction ( detail ) etc. are all services that Dealerships offer to clients in an attempt to keep their Ferrari in tip top shape. I do not see how informing an owner is stealing from them, it's informing them. The owner can then make their own mind up as to what they want to do to keep their Ferrari in order. Up to and including taking their Ferrari to a less expensive option if need be.

Regarding the alignment , more often than not, tire wear will show up on the inner edges of the tires when the alignment is out , something that an owner may overlook ( out of sight out of mind ) The minute you leave the dealership, pot holes, speed bumps, RR crossings, are all possibilities of why the alignment is out.
    Only the OP knows for a fact what his driving conditions are/were .. and that's assuming that he is the only person to have ever driven the car.

Normally, alignment specs are printed before and after an alignment is performed. So it would be easy to compare how it left and how it is now... hard to argue if they are different.

BTW , I'm not sure what Ferrari Dealership you think is funding an F1 team , 488 Challenge maybe, but even then , the client pays to play there too...

S

cls, Cigarzman and thorn like this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Also an excellent suggestion, expressing the concern in a calm, non-accusatory fashion may get you farther than a negative approach.

All you can do it ask for assistance ,

S

paulchua likes this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    This is what the form you are asking for will show you ( obviously filled out by the selling dealership )

S

Attached Files:

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You could find a good independant alignment shop that can align Ferrari's.

paulchua and SAFE4NOW like this.
  14. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just had my F430 aligned last week. The $440 is not out of the norm for an alignment on a Ferrari. Mine was done by an independent shop after I lowered the car.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have to ask... after doing suspension work on my 360 (I’m sure there are differences between the Cali), what is so special about the suspension that would require a $500 alignment other than the horse on the nose? Everything that I’ve done in there, it was a pretty standard set up.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Terrence, I don't think it's impossible that your car got out of alignment in driving 432 miles. If you have the report from when you bought it, you can compare. And depending on where you live (hourly labour rates) that's not a crazy sum for getting it set right by a dealership.

You could get it fixed cheaper elsewhere, but then you have to factor in your own time vs the money you save.

Not all dealerships are stealerships. My official Ferrari service centre has served me fantastically for 5 years+. They are businesses, though, not non-profits..

SAFE4NOW likes this.