exhaust | FerrariChat

exhaust

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348 TB, Feb 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348 TB

348 TB Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Mike V
    Question here for all the Ferraris 348 owners.
    the most preferred exhaust combination,tubi-x-ost-larinI -capristo
    for sound and performance.
    Thanks

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    From the reading I've done here there doesn't seem to be a consensus on any particular muffler when it comes to performance. Fabspeed did some dyno testing and didn't find big power in the muffler itself, IIRC. Check the archives for confirmation though.

From my experience as a long-time builder of track cars (not Ferraris though) the converters look to be the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. I gained noticable amounts of power and throttle response by getting rid of the converters on my ///M3 track car, and expect the same with my 348.

If you live someplace where you can remove the converters and if you intend to do so, then I'd suggest going with a quiet, high quality stainless muffler so that the end result will not make your ears bleed and pi$$ off the neighbors. If you intend to run converters, I'd suggest first ditching the stock ones (keep them for originality purposes) and going to as open of a converter as you can get away with, then seeing how much louder you're willing to accept before choosing a muffler. I have not tested any of this but my gut feeling is that straight pipes and a Tubi make a great combo, and that free flowing converters and a Capristo make a great combo, assuming you're wanting an aggressive sound.

As mentioned in the other thread, I have a Tubi and stock converters on my 348 and I find the sound to be too mild for my tastes. That said, I do have SS/Challenge chips in my car that are burned on faster EPROMs, and they smooth out the idle considerably. When I had the stock late model chips in the car the idle and power delivery was much "lumpier", making the exhaust note sound lots more raucous than it does now.

Amazing how much difference the faster chips made in terms of sound and idle, but in the end it's a total win. While the difference in idle noise is disappointing initially, it's clear that the engine is running better/smoother and it allows more leeway in choosing an exhaust. Before the chip change straight pipes and the Tubi would have been over the top, but after the chip change I think it'll be just barely acceptable (can't speak for the neighbors though).

Lots in the archives on the subject. Read up and choose what you think would be best for your specific application. Just remember to keep the big picture in mind so that you don't waste time/money. If I hadn't upgraded the chips I would have assumed that straight pipes would be too loud with the Tubi, so I would have bought resonated test pipes, which cost more and add a bit of weight (although they should yield similar performance to straight pipes). If you want a quiet exhaust but don't need to run converters, that would be a great solution. If you want an aggressive sound I expect that fast chips + resonated test pipes + Tubi would be a bit too mild, a least to my ear, but substituting straight pipes for the resonators would be just about perfect.

Good luck and please let us know what you choose and how it works for you. The more data the better!

3. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    Where did you get your chips ? Badly need chips. Andy

4. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I wish I could find more information about the exhaust that Superformance sells.

5. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #5 driveitdaily, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

I had the superformance exhaust , it is a nouvalari without the nouvalari name on it . It is amazing , you wont be disappointed , i ran evoflow cats also . It is the sound you want , imho has the 355 scream and sounds even better than a stock 355 . Go on you tube and search novalari exhaust on 348's if you want to hear what it sounds like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Attractive pricing on both, but just a lack of decent video demonstration (even for nouvalari, comparitively). It makes it difficult to take the leap of faith against others with more soundclips and discussion 'buzz'.

There is a nouvalari-equipped SS the next town over from me that I'm hoping to hear in person once the winter hibernation is over.

7. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time on youtube before deciding.To my ears that superformance exhaust sounds identical to a much more expensive tubi.It has a nice smooth refined scream. It was great with the stock cats but switching to the evoflow's gave me exactly what I wanted . Tried it without the cats also but was a little to loud for me .

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Several of us had gothspeed do a set custom. Very nice and affordably priced. Contact him for pricing, etc. At idle there is a bass note, like a small block mid-year Corvette. Wind it up and it is all Formula One. Huge weight saving, decent HP gain on the dyno, superior heat dissipation and vastly improved throttle response. The workmanship is without comparison.

9. 348 TB

348 TB Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Mike V
    hoo is the tubi dealer in us now
    any one knows?
    thanks

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    related to this which aftermarket is the quietest? I am interested in weight savings and increased ability of engine to breath but also avoid loud and dronny in the cockpit.

Anyone want to weigh on on the quietest aftermarket options?

11. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #11 seabass23, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    For this case, I would recommend the exhaust system that is available from Superformance in the UK. Much smaller and much, much lighter than the factory twin can setup. I bought one and I'm very happy. Extremely reasonable price and it is apparently made for them by Nouvalari. It is only slightly louder than stock, no drone, and not offensive to the neighbors. Very happy with mine.

12. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Single can OE setup? Extremely quiet

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    seabass23 - I saw that on their site and found it was Nouvalari but never found anyone who used it and cold comment on the db levels.

Jh348 - on the Single can OE setup, is that the Spider exhausts or something different?

Thanks.

14. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    I have a nouvalari supersport, with fabspeed cat bypass.

It screams.

15. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The db level is completely respectable. I assume this aligns with the Nouvalari SPORT, not the supersport.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    excellent thanks.

17. alexjack

alexjack Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Don
    I too have the Nouvalari Super Sport with Fabspeed test pipes and it does indeed scream. This is not the setup you’d want if you’re looking for quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Agreed. On my previous 90 ts, I switched the twin can to a single can OEM exhaust and was very happy with it. Sounded like a Ferrari and was never too loud. No droning or tinny sounds either.

My current 91 has a Tubi with OE cats. Sounds great, and not too loud. However, a previous owner switched the dual outlets to singles, which I'm not a fan of.

Attached Files:

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  20. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Bungees won't last long ;)

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

No way they are carbon reinforced :)

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Kreissieg sounds so good but I suspect in the car it would get old, not for me for the wife.. "its so loud" lol. I suspect the Nouvalari sport with high flow cats is what I'll wind up with.

But boy does the Kreissieg ever sound good.

23. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Hi, i was just reading your post - i'm thinking of getting the superformance stainless exhaust for my 93 348 tb, currently have the two box standard exhaust and want a more ferrari sound out of it, nothing crazy just to make it sing a little as standard is too quiet. Is this an easy DIY job? is it a case of unbolt one and bolt in the new? By any chance have you got a video/sound of it with standard cats?

24. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I wouldn't call it an "easy" diy, but it certainly can be done at home. To be honest, I found the installation to be a bit challenging.

The new exhaust needs to slip on to the header pipes. This was a tight fit and took some work to get it on far enough that I could then use the bolts to pull it snug.

Another frustration was that the bolt holes on the exhaust didn't perfectly align with the car's hanger bracket. To get past this, I worked to get the tips aligned with the bumper cutouts. Once I had it where I wanted it, I marked new holes, removed the exhaust, and drilled the new holes into it. I had to put it in and out several times to get it to fit.

Your mileage may vary. These units are clearly hand made so I'm sure they are all a tiny bit different. Some may fit better than others.

Overall, I'm pleased with the end product. I'm happy to get rid of those dual cans, and it does sound much better. Not crazy loud but it's louder.

Sorry, I've not been successful recording a sound clip that represents it very well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

25. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Hi Seabass23, thank you for your reply - i think i am going to go for it - i want more sound but not crazy to upset the neighbours... I'll try and post a before and after sound clip once done, for anyone else looking to change. Seems to be good value.. Thanks again.