VIN 101623 CARETAKER | Page 3 | FerrariChat

VIN 101623 CARETAKER

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by slracing, Sep 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    #51 slracing, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here a cool piece: All the drivers racing the car from 1995-1997 gathered around. Tony Ring to the left- Peter Worm to the right and Ian Geekie in front. Believe its taken in 1996.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    #52 slracing, Mar 3, 2017
    The other day I was fortunate to be able to get in contact With Ian Geekie, Nice chap that added some racing history to my 355Ch. He was kind enough to send me some more pictures of it, racing from back then. What a great treat to be able to chat With the drivers that actually had the oppurtunity to race these fantastic cars some 20 years ago...Thanx Ian Have to admit: that 993 sure looks awesome;-)

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    There was no "correct" steering wheel. It was the driver's choice of wheel.

Go to a hardware store for the roll cage bolt.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    sorry, coming in quite late to this thread, just saw it....

First, congrats on a great car and a great project. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Wanted to toss a few comments in on some (very) old posts

To clarity, the 360C and 430C NEVER had any extra factory aero added while they were in the factory challenge series. As always, there were some tech updates and tweaks, but splitters/wings were never part of the factory spec.

These days, in the US, seems like most 360C and 430C's are "CCR spec", which is they have a series of mods that make the cars "better, cheaper, easier to drive"- these usually include rear wings, splitters, exhausts, (some) ECU tweaks, and on the 430's, steel brake conversions.

Of course, none of this is SpA or FNA sanctioned, in fact if you want to run a 360C or 430C in the new "Esperienza" sessions at Challenge weekends, they insist on a bone-spec, OEM compliant car..... (and candidly, the CCR spec drives better, is cheaper to run, etc).

Just a comment, having raced about 12 days at Mugello....but never in a 355C...

Mugello is a LONG and flowing track. Fiorano, on the other hand, is short, tight...sort of like comparing VIR to Lime Rock. At Mugello, variances due to weather, track and driver make 1.5 sec/lap very normal......plus, you screw up entering T6 and you carry the speed penalty all the way through Arriabata 1 and 2....lots of time lost or gained. That's with the same spec, same day, same tire, different driver. With a few setup tweaks and a more stable rear end, 1.5 sec is very reasonable...plus I'm guessing these times were set years apart...and not on same tire/day/condition/driver?

(this is why I always guffaw at comparative times at Fiorano...but I digress)

Look forward to updates on the project.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thank you for the clarification - makes sense on many cars going thru CCR and being modified.

Robb

6. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Tried different stores, but no luck what so ever.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Try here: McMaster-Carr

8. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Grazie Barry. Will take some the measurements of the bolts and send a request.

9. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    #59 slracing, Mar 10, 2017
    Here a small update on the OMP VID seat restoration. The embroidery turned out much better than I expected. Its also original OMP NOMEX fabric. Don`t know exactually when they will be done but it will be worth the wait. BTW what sort of mounting rails do you guys use for the org OMP seatbackets?

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Looks great

Robb

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    McMaster-Carr has EVERYTHING!

I have an OMP slider for the driver's side in mine. It makes life easier getting in and out.

12. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    #62 slracing, Apr 21, 2017
  13. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe

14. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    #64 slracing, Apr 25, 2017
    Finally I managed to gather some pictures from the engine out service. During the same periode the wheels needed to be refurbished- with an awesome result, the calipers and brake disc flanges were painted! gold for some reason, so I brought back the original patina to them.
    When I bought the car it also had some modded bumpers (too uggly to show...hehehe) attached- so the original ones HAD to be installed. Rear pumper and decklid will be sent off to the paintshop due to "major" cracks in them. But I have to admite removing the racing patina from such a car, is a tough call.
    Interior wise the car had a cheap carbon-leather sportseat- so the search for some OMP VIDs started right away. Luckily I now have two seats(unfortunately only the fiberglass ones) thats under restoration and soon will be installed. Seems that to be able to get a CF seat you have to buy yet another 355 Challenge with it already installed;-)
    Even though I have not driven the car on the racetrack yet, I can only imagine what that feeling will be like, by working on it. Can`t wait...
    Going through these first steps of putting the car back together the way it used to be, has been an absolute joy. People such as yourself are very helpfull and willing to share whatever is needed- for that I can`t thank you enough. Grazie mille:)
    PS Barry the bolts are now updated;_)

15. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Was fortunate enough for stumble across this Challenge bag from Schedoni I believe. Its patina was made during the racing days over in the UK.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Now get a Snell 2015 helmet and get your car out on the track where it will be happy once more.

This is why I'm partial to yellow and blue...

slracing and Jasonberkeley like this.
  17. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    ...finally the last pieces was completed- passenger seat and fire extinguisher mounted, fluids changed, nuts and bolts tightened and we were ready for our first test together...and what an awesome treat that turned out to be.
    Packed it all up and headed abroad to attend Autoropa Racing Days 2018- 5 hours driving south. Have to admit that if the car would last 10-15 laps without any problems I would be more than happy...after all it was its first tracking in 11-12 years... B-)
    Arriving at Ring Knutstorp is always fun and this time was not any different. The 355 Challenge lasted all Friday & Saturday without any problems at all. The analog driving experience made me smile the whole weekend through and the best part was to be able to share this with Tony and his fully restored ex Lais Power 355 Challenge... Your 355 turn out perfect buddy. Here are some pictures from the event. Hope you enjoy it... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak3, Flash355, Jasonberkeley and 2 others like this.
  18. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
  19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Looks great! You should put the Corona graphics back on!

20. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Well Jason I totally agree with you there, but unfortunately I live in a country where any adds on alcohol is strictly forbidden. Love that livery myself though... Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    If it isnt a paid ad but a historical reference, I have to imagine there is a carve out in the law, no? For example, are there any vintage races where the Jagermeister Porsches from the 70s would not be permitted to participate?

In any event, you could still reproduce all of the graphics other than the word Corona and it would look very cool. You could still have the, numbers, windshield header, contingency sponsors (OMP, Pirelli, etc...) blue design, the crown, and the word “Extra” maybe? In any event, gorgeous car and job well done! Enjoy it!

308 GTB likes this.
  22. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
    Fantastic, what a beautiful car! Thank you for letting us being part of your Journey.

slracing likes this.
  23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You can have removable vinyl Corona stickers made. They're reusable and inexpensive.

slracing and Jasonberkeley like this.
  24. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Jasonberkeley, ewright, NbyNW and 4 others like this.
  25. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Its been a while since I last posted something interesting, but the other day I managed to buy this cool piece of a book. 100 pages with pictures, stories and team related info...in german. Some awesome action pictures...sorry for the poor quality though on my cellphone

Attached Files:

Flash355, Jasonberkeley and 308 GTB like this.