IT Question RE Outlook .pst File for FChat Brain Trust | FerrariChat

IT Question RE Outlook .pst File for FChat Brain Trust

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Raconteur, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had 2 hard drives on my home desktop. C drive contained programs and utilities; D drive contained data. This made external backups easy.

C drive crashed a couple of weeks ago. D drive and data are fine... except, I didn't know (or didn't think) to configure the Outlook .pst mail file to save (and/or copy) to D drive.

Data recovery firm indicated all files on the C drive have been recovered. But for the life of them, the Outlook .pst file is nowhere to be found. Similarly, a folder with my user name cannot be located. We have looked at all the usual suspect locations... Data recovery firm's $300 fee is based file recovery; no recovery, no fee. I stated specifically I needed my email file(s), therefore, it's in their interest to find.

Question 1: any thoughts on where the .pst file might be hiding?

Thanks.

PS. I'm adding another internal drive (E drive) that would copy all the D drive data, and will be setting up to save data to both D and E drives this weekend...

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Not an expert, but do you use a cloud service like OneDrive? Is it possible that the file is on the cloud somewhere and not on your hard drive?

3. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    @Dom Thanks for the suggestion. No, I don't use OneDrive.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    In windows 10 this is the default locations

drive:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.
    drive:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Even though you probably did this .. did you search for all files *.PST and *.ost

The other thought is that you emails are on a outlook server .. remotely like a work outlook server

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    For Office 365 accounts, Exchange accounts, or Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, or Live.com accounts not accessed by POP or IMAP, you won't have a Personal Folders (.pst) file

Just cut and pasted that to explain my answer above

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Like Dominick said, no pst if using Exchange (ost instead, which is only a pointer, and not a true data file). However, if using Exchange and have set up a "local" email archive, then look for "archive.pst".

The above applies to when using the Office Outlook application. Not Office365 ("cloud").

7. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Yes you may use PST with outlook and 365. A pst is an archive file. Yes you can configure it to receive new mail but it was meant for archiving. We are using exchange with PST files. The PST files have nothing to do with Exchange. Outlook opens the file thats it.