How you got your watch | FerrariChat

How you got your watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by gh0st0, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I see a lot of nice watches in here, anyone care to share the stories how they obtained them?

I picked up my milgauss after visiting a nearby AD multiple times after finally receiving a job promotion that allowed me the flexibility to buy one new, this was before the first price hike back in 2011. Watch is solid and a daily wearer, had it serviced for the first time last year to the tune of $800 some dollars.

Next purchase will be either AP, Patek, or if lucky; Mille. Feedback on anyone who can speak to their interactions would also be helpful.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m a lucky guy. I have two friends, each of which is a Rolex AD. They compete for my business!

My first “big” purchase was a Hublot two tone chrono, back well before the Big Banger. I bought it on eBay!

Matt

3. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Grey market- DavidSW. Several purchases, perfect service.

4. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    David SW. best prices on grey market. But also friends with a AD she finds passes on the hard to find at cost. New ceramic Daytona’s, ceramic Pepsi. I’ve been very fortunate, I’ve turned down some nice finds from her. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa, darth550 and gh0st0 like this.
  5. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
  6. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I wish I was friends with a Ferrari dealer!

Yassa likes this.
  7. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    You need a friend in other watch brands now

schwoo likes this.
  8. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Really digging the box, I think it cost more than my milgauss!

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My wife has been in the watch biz for 23 years now and works with the group that owns RM and that (pretty much) controls AP. They now make you qualify to purchase RM's, same way you'd have to if you wanted to by a 488 Pista Aperta. You have to be an existing customer, pay full price in advance and wait, that is IF you're approved. AP is starting to go the same way and as they open more and more boutiques (I think they're at 14 now) they will be harder to obtain as well. Sometimes she can get stuff done though.

I, myself have been through probably 50 watches by now, and probably should have kept a few more of them than I have. C'est La Vie.

koisokok, wahoowa and gh0st0 like this.
  10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Schwoo, That's nice but you need a Buben and Zorweg or at least, a Scatola Del Tempo! :D :D :D

11. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    Varies quite a bit. All of my purchases have gone very well.

I’ve bought 2 used watches from Fchatters via the Classifieds section here, including one from @darth550 above.

I’ve bought 3 Rolexes by walking into 2 different AD’s while on vacations, including one heck of a lucky walk-in Ceramic Daytona purchase at retail price few years ago.

I recently traded in a couple of watches for a used but unworn Omega Grey Side Meteorite to Takayu watches. Plenty of other “trusted sellers” on rolexforums.com also.

12. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My first quality watch was a vintage Rolex GMT purchased in 1999. I was 22 and stopped at a jeweler I frequented for small gifts for my girlfriend. Occasionally they had vintage watches that I went in to drool over, and on one such occasion they had a pepsi 1675 that had come in from an estate completely original with box and papers. Price was $1,800 and I bought it on the spot. A couple of days later the owner of the shop called to see if they could get it back, even offered me a few hundred bucks more than I paid. Of course I politely declined.

nickmb likes this.
  13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  14. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I got lucky and picked up my BLNR in Spring 2017 before the market went crazy. At the time, there were three ADs who each had one, so I got my pick of the litter. Now, my AD told me that he hasn't gotten a BLNR since February and hasn't seen the first new 126710 Pepsi. I'm first on the list for the Pepsi, so I hope it arrives soon. I'm not desperate enough to pay double to a reseller for one!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ronfrohock likes this.
  15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm very blessed to have quite a few nice timepieces. I like vintage stuff rather than new. The best watch buying story I have is about my 5512 Sub made in 1967. I stopped in to a shop just browsing one day. I had zero intention of buying anything. I mean zero. They had a meters first matte/white 5512 in the case that everyone was drooling over. I asked to see it, tried it on, checked it out, and gave it back. The owner of the shop popped the bracelet off and handed it back to me, "Just in case you wanted to see the serial number and engravings" I looked at the serial number, handed it back to him, and said, "I'll take it."
    The serial number was 6 digits consisting of my wedding anniversary, my birthday, and my wife's birthday.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JP365, JAM1 and supergrilldds like this.
  16. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    That’s so random that the owner showed off the serial number. It was just meant to be I guess. I’m sure that’s a keeper.

My only watch (Omega Seamaster) was given to me by my dad when I turned 18. My mom bought the watch for him for their 10yr anniversary in 1991 and he wore it for many years. I’ll always keep it but it’s time for me to upgrade to a Rolex. Not sure how/when I’ll get that one.

My dad stopped wearing the Omega when he got his TT Sub. I always joke that when his memory starts to slip I’m going to take it! :D

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Stunning!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I have been dabbling watches since I was 15. I have a fair collection but the ones I like the most, I let go for some odd reason. I bought them all from other collectors or in random pawn shops/watch shows. It is a fun hobby.