EASY TR Rearview mirror fix! | FerrariChat

EASY TR Rearview mirror fix!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Mar 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #1 kerrywittig, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been in 3 different TR's over the last few years and each and every one had the same irratating little problem, the inside(mounted to the windshield) rear veiw mirror was ever so loose. No matter how much you tighten the philips headed screw that attaches the mount to the pivot point it, would not "snug up". Yeah you can put a small little o-ring on the screw to take up the slack, but that just ain't right. The fix...........

There are three basic parts to the mirror, the arm, mirror body and "The Screw". as pictured below.

Remove the screw and either via a bench grinder or just using a simple hand file, remove about one threads worth of material off the end of the screw...........touche',........done.

Now my OCD can lay dormant for a period of time until I can obsess about some other mundane rattle, squeak or hint of wind noise.

Kerry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow.....who'd a thunk that? So it's an issue of too large of a diameter at the end of the screw? How did you figure that one out? (Good Job)

3. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    No, not an issue with diameter.....the screw is too long. So just remove a bit of length.

How'd I figure it out.........I have time to ponder such mysteries because I have no life , no friends and no future............just an '87 TR than beckons!!!

4. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    That is the exact problem I have with my 348 and was planning to work on it this weekend.........Thanks bunches!

Jeff Pintler
    89348tb, 86tr

5. RoccoM

RoccoM Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2007
    Richmond Hill, ONT
    Full Name:
    Rocco M
    Nice fix Kerry. Did you put any thread lock on the screw to keep it from vibrating off?

6. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig

No.............

7. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Kerry,
    This looks like the fix I need too, for my shaking rear view mirror.
    It seems to be the metal rod from the mirror unit than goes up to the windscreen bose that is loose.
    How do I get the mirror unit detached from the screen so that I can get access to this screw?
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

8. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    I have given the mounting base (like the top of the pyramid) a good nudge in all 4 directions, but with fear of breaking something fragile am looking for advice.