The 997 RS Specials: GT3 RS 4.0 & GT2 RS | FerrariChat

The 997 RS Specials: GT3 RS 4.0 & GT2 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I've been meaning to create this thread for a long while, and there's no time like the present!

To me, these cars represent the pinnacle of the GT-department under Andreas Preuninger. Produced in limited numbers of 600 cars and 500 cars worldwide, respectively, the GT3 RS 4.0 & GT2 RS were both "skunk works" behind-closed-doors specials, and essentially spearheaded by engineers who wanted to do something cool rather than led by the marketing department.

More to come!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and Boomhauer like this.
  2. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

It's only partially related, but I wrote the following column today due to my feeling that these cars are being overlooked. Enjoy!

Buyer’s Market: 997 RS Cars

The collector car market, perhaps more than almost any other, is driven by emotion. Trends come and go, and while top level investment cars will always have their place, other areas of the market tend to fluctuate based on the latest hot commodity rather than what is truly special, unique, and collectible.

In the past few years, one of the most prolific examples of this syndrome has been the focus on new Porsche 911s versus those only a few years old. It seems that with the advent of the 991 generation of cars, every enthusiast who fancies himself a “driver” has realized he must have a GT3 – and Porsche is happy to sell him one. This is totally fine, as Porsche is in the business of selling cars, and more sold means more profit for shareholders. However, the problem lies with the point at which these cars, usually sooner rather than later, hit the secondary market.

991 GT3s, GT3 RSs, and special variants have been the subject of feeding frenzies with each debut, gobbled up by those who must have the latest & greatest. And, said buyers are willing to pay handsomely for the privilege, handing out huge sums over sticker price to secure their example. This is also fine, as long as the intent is to drive and enjoy the car for a long period of time. However, the intent is often to secure a so-called investment that will continue to go up even further in value. This thinking is tragically misguided in many cases.

The 997-generation of the GT3, in comparison to the 991 variants, was smaller, lighter, purer, more visceral, included a desirable Mezger-designed engine, and came with a 6-speed manual gearbox standard. It’s not my job to argue which ethos is better for driving pleasure, but as a student of the collector car market, I would wager heavily that the 997 set of ideals will do better than the 991’s more technology-driven approach value wise, especially five years or a decade from now. This is not to mention the huge discrepancy in production numbers, which can be viewed below.

Essentially, Porsche is at the top of their game, producing some of the best sports cars they have ever made, and selling them by the bucketload. But, this does not mean that the cars coming out of the factory today will prove to be wise investments, especially those that are essentially unlimited in production. In comparison, 997-generation specials like the GT3 RS 4.0 and GT2 RS weren’t even originally planned to be made – the engineers simply demanded it, and Porsche assented. Today’s GT cars are a huge part of the bottom-line at Porsche, and the special nature that makes for a future classic is being lost, even if the cars themselves are an incredible drive.

So, this is the reason I have mentioned to most buyers who have come my way lately that now is the time to buy a 997-generation RS car. These were such special cars, and if you are a buyer who keeps one eye on the market, they are easily the undervalued picks of the GT-car litter today and the ones to have for the future.

Please note the below are approximate numbers, but give a good sense for how the USA production numbers relate to one another. While we only have data for the GT3 RS & 911R to represent the 991 generation, Porsche has indicated that the current “.2” GT2 RS or GT3 RS will only be limited by demand. Taking this further, Andreas Preuninger has actually implied that 2,000 or more 991.2 GT2 RS are allotted for production based on the existing demand for the car.

991 RS cars:

991.1 GT3 RS

USA: ~1,250

911R:

Limited to 991 units worldwide.

USA: ~300

997 RS cars:

997.1 GT3 RS

USA: ~410

997.2 GT3 RS

USA: ~550

997.2 GT2 RS

Limited to 500 units worldwide.

USA: ~110

997.2 GT3 RS 4.0

Limited to 600 units worldwide.

USA: ~140

randkin, nicholasn, johnei and 2 others like this.
  3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud likes this.
  4. Bphill22

Bphill22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2008
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    GT3 Racer
    I'm curious to get your take on the 996 and 997 GT2's as well since they are fairly low production. Thanks

5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I don’t mean to ignore non-RS cars, I just typically deal in those versus the less expensive stuff. But, I love both of those cars as well and do agree they have nice potential for the future given the production numbers. The 996 GT2 in particular is the only USA 996 that really interests me.

rmolke85 likes this.
  6. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    There’s something to say for the pre DFI original Metzger designs.

Also I like the 996 Turbo look cars I think they look great. The 996 being the first watercooled version means something as well.

A 996.2 GT2 is a car I aspire to own.

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

AP talking in depth about the ideas & technology behind the 997 GT2 RS in 2010:

NürScud likes this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

AP talking in depth about the ideas & technology behind the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 in 2011:

NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

More from AP on GT2 RS at Goodwood 2010:

NürScud likes this.
  10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

In this GT2 RS video, AP explains that the car took 700,000 kilometers of test driving to perfect and 80,000 engineering hours. He further explains that the 997 GT2 RS was a "skunkworks" effort that began in 2007 with the development of the 997 GT2 and 997.2 GT3 RS. AP made a special, "secret" development car nicknamed "The Beast" with the GT2 engine and the GT3 RS chassis treatment. He gave it to Walter Rohrl for testing at the Nurburgring, who proceeded to do 3-4 laps before proclaiming to AP, "You have to make it!"

Presumably, AP then got approval from the Porsche higher-ups to produce the car in a limited run, and the rest is history.

NürScud and cnpapa24 like this.
  11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Aftermarket V/O ...

NürScud likes this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Not really sure on the significance considering this thread is about two 997 cars, and there isn't any dubbing in the videos I posted... *confused*

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Sorry. Noticed you'd made mention of 991 RS cars in post #2 and thought it might apply, likewise? Perhaps the mods can broom it if too far off the path though, whilst the thread is still getting under way.

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

No worries, understandable, just wanted to be clear!

Tenney likes this.
  15. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Cant forget the first USA model GT3 from 2004 thru 2005, did not make too many of them like they do now. Also, no nannies on this car, very raw. Have been slowly rising in price and are hard to find.

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Sure, cool car, I actually have a client seeking a 996 GT3 RS which is even cooler!

17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Matt Prior gives his thoughts on the RS 4.0:

NürScud likes this.
  19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor