TR has some fuel type issues intermittantly | FerrariChat

TR has some fuel type issues intermittantly

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

TR has developed some assumedly fuel related issues. 1987, 28k miles.

Car starts fine but if I try and pull it out of garage, to warm up outside, too quickly it will bog down from 1000rpms to 500rpms and inevitably stall.

This seems to be a reoccurring peoblem until its at least 10min warmed up. However even after a full warm up (30min driving etc) it still has a tendency to stall when blipping throttle to engage clutch or during clutch engagemwnt. It doesnt stall when reving up, it stalls after the blip when the rpm’s fall.

Additionally, it will rev up fine after the basic warm up, but the longer I drive it the more it tends to hesitate in 3rd gear and above as it revs about 4k. Its as if it just loses momentum then eventually catches up and goes again.

From what ive researched here this is pretty common. Ive seen people replace the coils. Any tests that I should conduct to help with diagnosis? Thank you,

T

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like a bad ignition module. Those are the guys that sit on top of the coil with the large wide connector under the protection shield. You can buy them from trutlands for about 130 bucks or so. Replace both at the same time. If one is failing, the other won't be too far behind.

Prova85 likes this.
  3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    If the ignition module is the issue, check the cross reference thread as IIRC there's a listing for aftermarket replacements for considerably less money. I did mine about 10-11 years ago with aftermarkets and no issues since.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    See post 24 in this thread. I replaced both of mine a few years ago, got the XM631 from Rare Electric for $50 bucks a piece. The DAC 6093 coils are also very inexpensive and readily available. I played around playing the swap the 1-6/7-12 coil and module game for a while, if you modules are the originals I would just replace them both.
    Good Luck!
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/testarossa-coil-and-module-thread.279017/

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks everyone! I’ll go through my service records to see if they were replaced and also inspect to see if they are original. Hopefully it is this simple.

6. Jason Pye

Jason Pye Rookie

May 13, 2018
    U.K.
    Full Name:
    Jason Pye
    Hi, Im having the same issue at the moment, turns out its the Alternator, figured this out by switching everything on, lights, air con, radio, etc then dipping the revs to see if it stalls. ill get mine re-built next time the engine is out as its a pain to get to.
    Good luck sorting yours...

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This could make total sense for me too. Is it normal for a TR to show the battery symbol when the car first starts? Then it disappears once you blip the throttle? That's what mine does.

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Not sure if it's 'normal' per se but my '85 has done that since I've owned it. Even after an alternator rebuild 3 years ago.

9. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Yes it's normal for the battery light to illuminate when the key is in the on position, it should quickly go out once the car starts. It's "not" normal for you to have to touch the throttle to make the light go out. If it is tuned correctly the light should disappear quite quickly whether the car is cold or hot.

xplodee likes this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ok. The not normal condition is exactly what is happening with my car. Tuning or alternator? Seems like a charging issue.

Is there a way to trouble shoot the alternator to determine its health?

11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you start the engine and it will run under 800 rpm then the battery light may stay on. but over 900 rpm the light has to go off, if not then it is a problem of the alternator or connection somewhere. but this is normal technical stuff, nothing special for TR.

13. Jason Pye

Jason Pye Rookie

May 13, 2018
    U.K.
    Full Name:
    Jason Pye
    I had someone check the power output of the Alternator, very simple test with a vault reader and someone who knows what they're up to. I think he only charged me £40, needed help so we could eliminate other potential issues, bad earth, etc...

14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  15. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #15 jgmblair, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Did you check the modules as Tom suggested in post 2? Are they original? Have you confirmed you have spark on both banks? Do you have access to a timing light? Don't needlessly buy parts until you have done more diagnostics. Others will continue to chime in just keep posting.

xplodee likes this.
  16. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  17. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I get exactly this behaviour from my 1986 Testarossa, but don't get any running issues (drives and runs great after warming up) and the thorough PPI I got didn't flag any issues. Hope it's normal and not a sign of a failing alternator

18. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    How does your car behave when it is cold? or when you first start it in the morning?

19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not trying to be rude here but can we keep this particular thread about these conditions only:

1) starts and idles fine but stalls when blipping the throttle for backing out of garage or doing standard low speed parking manoevers.

2) hesitates under full throttle acceleration in second and higher gears when warm.

I have no idea if these problems are related but these are the two problems that I started the thread about.

20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I'd start from the beginning and do the idle speed adjustment sequence and balance the vacuum on both banks. do you have the service manual? the process is in there.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Ok. So where are you at with the car?

22. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with James. Tim - what is your idle RPM sitting at?

I find with mine if it is stone cold and I literally try starting to reverse it out of my garage, it may stall and it's a bit lumpy the revs. Give it a few mins of running and a couple of small blips of the throttle it settles down to a nice rhythm, then no problems reversing/moving the car.

My vacuum lines I recently changed to silicon ones and also replaced the 1 way valves - made a positive difference, it starts better and runs very strong now including when warmed up.

23. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have the PDF and will review this process. Thank you for the suggestion, its all new to me.

24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim