is the bubble due to burst? | Page 135 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The Cayenne makes for a good Volkswagen.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I really like my Cayenne diesel. 30 mpg at 90 mph works for me!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    George, Pretty good buyers market for a 612 now. IMO

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Wasn't Enzo's fav driver a 2+2. I thought I saw a picture of it and was surprised.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You have a typical American perspective. Most Americans don't understand the idea of cars for long distance travel-- and with good reason, the distances are just too long.

That's not at all the case in Europe, however. So Ferrari has always built cars for their most important customers-- businessmen who use them for high speed transcontinental travel, and sometimes daily use. That's why they built the 612, FF, and even the big V-12 GT cars.

Furthermore, the big GT cars have always been their most profitable, highest margin products. I bet the margins on the 612 all-in (considering tooling, set up expenses, etc) were significantly better than the Enzo.

I should say, the 612 was a bit of an odd case, because it was being sold in the 2008-10 timeframe, and that was a tough time to be selling $300k+ GT cars. So they weren't able to sell nearly as many as they would typically.

BaronM69, LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Incidentally, I love the 365GTC/4. I've come close to owning one in the past, and still hope to do so before too long. It's really a buyer's market on those!

jippiejake and Hoodude like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I get that. I also understand the company has historically not been run in the most efficient manner in terms of product mix. Plus we have short memories. The MSRP on the 1999 F360 was $140,000. Even Ferrari didn’t understand they had an out of the ballpark home run when the car first came out (although they quickly caught up).

Frankly I think Ferrari would do better today if it built fewer, and more expensive, sports cars, i. e., a top that drops over two seats. But what do I know?

BaronM69 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The sticker from my '01 456M was nearly $100K more than that; $237K. Only the halo cars had a higher MSRP until the 575M came out the following year.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The F360 sticker quickly jumped to $170k. However, nobody paid that little. The buyer premiums shot up to over $100k in some cases as the flippers got into the game. The dealers loved it. Spa not so much.

I don’t recall any of the V12s selling for over MSRP. In the history of Ferrari, the F360 was a game changer.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Glad I didn't like my blu Pozzi 360 when the market was on fire. Trade bait for the 330+550.

Agree that two seat convertibles are the fat part of the market here in the States. To me a front engine V-12 drop top is the epitome of desirability. The Daytona Spider is a perfect example. Even more beautiful is a 275 GTS/4 NART Spider......the curves on that beauty!! Too bad the Daytona was already set for production before Chinetti convinced Enzo to build the NART Spider. Daytona Spiders were maybe $22k when new and now are $1.5m +. The 275 NART is $20m!

I have an 05 SA that I equate to a modern Daytona. Open air driving w/ conveniences of power steering and real a/c. The sound of the V-12 in song with the top down is exhilarating! Not sure I will live long enough to see the SA hit $1m. That will be for my heirs to figure out since like the 330 I won't sell the SA. But a limited production front engine V-12 convertible has shown some pretty strong value over the decades.

A few years ago an FChatter was selling his 3 pedal SA. I did my due diligence and sent him a deposit on a purchase price of $205k. A day later a friend and client of mine asked me if he could buy it. Being a good friend I agreed and assigned the contract to him. I think a stick SA just sold for $900k+ at one of the auctions in Monterey. I must be a better friend than investor.....lol!!

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think they should sell fewer, more expensive cars too. But the second part of your statement shows your bias toward the US market. Ferrari sells worldwide, and all markets don't have the same preferences.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You mean there is something else besides the US?

BaronM69 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Phaeton is one the most amazing machines ever conceived. Touareg isn't too shabby either. I miss my Phaetons. My 740 is much pretty but nowhere even close to as good.

The first gen Touregs always looked way better than the cayenne in my opinion.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
    “the average sale price for Ferraris dropped more than $1 million, to $1.3 million” Jonathan Klinger of Hagerty’s ref. Monterey Auctions

From the below link – I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts on this. Seems the modern hypercars are where it’s at now. Not sure about older cars….

The Porsche and Ferrari markets have corrected.“Selling three cars for $91.5 million can hide a lot of misses,” said Jonathan Klinger, who wrote the final auction report for Hagerty’s. (He was referring to the $48.4 million Ferrari 250 GTO, a 1963 Aston Martin DP215 that sold for $21.4 million, and a 1935 Duesenberg SSJ that sold for $22 million.) “The $1 million to $10 million range underperformed this year, and Ferrari in particular did not fare well.” What’s more, the sell-through rate for Ferrari was “a shocking” 53 percent, he said, down from 68 percent in 2017. Excluding the outlier 250 GTO, this year the average sale price for Ferraris dropped more than $1 million, to $1.3 million.

http://fortune.com/2018/09/08/mecum-auctions-monterey/

15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As I mentioned a few days ago, we may be seeing a correction. This is more evidence.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Interesting to break it down by price ranges. But where are your cutoffs. Here are the ranges I would like to see what is happening in.

Over $10 million- rarefied air
    $2 million to $10 million
    $1 million to $2 million
    $500,000 to $1 million
    $200,000 to $500,000
    $100,000 to $200,000
    Under $100,000

Mrpbody44 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
  18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it me or are there fewer cars on the market, at least open?

I dont see many 275, 1 or 2 lussos..even daytonas are not as abundant as 1 year ago.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

Asking prices seem a little lost also.

Matt

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

If you had one, would you be selling? I wouldn't.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Which makes me think these cars have fallen into the hands of super wealthy buyers. Not just wealthy. People who either owned them and are not motivated by a $2m bonus on their buy price 10/20 years ago or they bought at the highest or close to and don't need to sell.

Mrpbody44 likes this.
  23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Wait until the market and then the economy goes south about 15-20% exotic cars, airplanes, yachts and vacation homes all become available at greatly reduced prices. Now there is so much money available and relative few things to invest in at a reasonable price there is no real motivator to sell. You have to do something with the cash that is going to earn substantially more money or give substantially more satisfaction after tax is taken out for the cap gain. Not so easy to do currently IMO.

24. HighCountry

HighCountry Rookie

Mar 17, 2017
    Mid-Atlantic
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Elon Musk will be the new Howard Hughes.

Caeruleus11 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I can definitely see him repeating "the way of the future" indefinitely while looking at himself in a mirror...

Caeruleus11 likes this.